the pick

I'm really an oldschool guy when it comes to picks. I use the standard fender (style) mediums or heavy. The thins flex too much and I find I lose a bit of control. I prefer the white colored ones too, so if you lay it down on your amp you can see it easily. It sucks walking around on stage looking for your pick if you forget to tape some to your stand or worse yet digging around in your guitar case.

bryant

Has anyone tried the landstrom sharkfin whites? I use these all the time. I find them really comfortable to hold

i got one of them metal picks

its actually made of metal. it takes a bit to get used to, but once you get used to it you love it a lot, it really makes the guitar sound a lot clearer

bobvex said:
this is the stubby family

99.jpg

From top to bottom Stubby, Big stubby, and stubby triangle

from left to right 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 mm

the measurements are determined by how thing the pick is.

ei bobvex tnx for the infos about the stubbys.:)
my computer got busted and i havent checked it for a wyl

I alternate between 1mm stubbies and 1m normal size picks (any brand as long as it's got grip). I used to have a problem with my picking thumb touching the strings too much and using the stubby helped me discipline myself because you have less room for error there. Another good pick when you get used to it is the kind which is thinned out in the middle so it plays like a 1mm if you hold it near the tip and like a .70mm if you hold it further up; good for varied songs.

I use Jim Dunlop Red Jazz III picks exclusively, awhile back I bought a bunch of those turtle .88 picks but they just don't feel right after using the Jazz III's for so long.

I just can't get a comfortable feel with any other pick after using them for so long, although as someone suggested it is quite nice to use a bigger pick on the acoustic guitar as it can be a bit hard to strum with the ole Jazz III.

Bryant said:
I prefer the white colored ones too, so if you lay it down on your amp you can see it easily. It sucks walking around on stage looking for your pick if you forget to tape some to your stand or worse yet digging around in your guitar case.

bryant

I know what you mean , where does all the picks go to , it's like there are pick stealing nomes or something. I use Jim Dunlop mediums ( I don't buy expensive picks nomore). Sometimes I just can't find a freakin pick anywhere!! , it's like not having cigarettes , so I'll use anything from cut creditcards to Pokemon tazos. I'll try the white ones!

zeppelin said:
I know what you mean , where does all the picks go to , it's like there are pick stealing nomes or something. I use Jim Dunlop mediums ( I don't buy expensive picks nomore). Sometimes I just can't find a freakin pick anywhere!! , it's like not having cigarettes , so I'll use anything from cut creditcards to Pokemon tazos. I'll try the white ones!

Ha ha ha yeah they are like the sock ferry that comes and takes one of your socks, except he/she doesn't leave money under your pillow like the tooth fairy used to do. Some companies make real bright colored picks, but they all have that "rough" feel to them.
I like that slick finish the Fender style picks have. I grip them hard enough where I am rarely going to miss anote due to the pick slipping, but I want it to move in fingers easily when I go to a two-hand technique or something and those picks with the funny shape make it difficult for me to do. Even if I orient the "Fender style" pick in my hand the wrong way after a two-hand technique, I can still play with it that way until there is a break enough for me to position it right.
I love and believe in technology, but I have given serious tries of many of those new-style picks and none of them have really performed that well to me. That's not to say the other people in here are lying about their performance with them, but I will stick to my "Fender medium (sometimes heavy) whites.

Bryant

ok shit my pc got busted again.

do u always have the scrape off in the pick when u start riffing.? my pick just fades away to little bits after a long riff marathon.

oh by the way i found a copy of the dunlop tortex.its quite ok but not like the orig.

i have a stubby 3mm that i lose and find on occasion, but normally i use whatever pick i'm given or find. i don't take particular preference to any of them.

Silent Song said:
i have a stubby 3mm that i lose and find on occasion, but normally i use whatever pick i'm given or find. i don't take particular preference to any of them.
So, you can't actually tell a difference between all the various picks out there?. I was able to feel things such as drag, release, gripability, and general comfort as it relates to the size of the pick. The biggest factor was the bevel on the edge of the Dunlop Delrin 1.5mm, it just glides more smoothly over the strings. The material that is used plays a large role in this.