The pics thread

Short lived and annoying? Or do you just push them to the brink and make them that way? :D

edit: ThisIsACoolName: that sounds awesome! what will you do with it, print it on t-shirts and stuff?

Eh. Most of the females that come here post a picture or two of themselves... say how much they love pantera... rattle the cages of all the teenage boys here, then leave, never to been heard from again.

edit: ThisIsACoolName: that sounds awesome! what will you do with it, print it on t-shirts and stuff?

That would be very cool, but we have not done that yet. We put it on show fliers/ post cards for when we have important shows coming up. Ideally we'd use it for all promotional material, but usually unless we are head lining or book the show ourselves we don't get a say in how the promo material looks.

Eh. Most of the females that come here post a picture or two of themselves... say how much they love pantera... rattle the cages of all the teenage boys here, then leave, never to been heard from again.

HA. I rattle teenage boys' cages for my living (work at a high school, half foreign English teacher and half school mascot). Just yesterday one almost got a boner when he asked me if I knew who Slayer was.

@ThisIsACoolName, what kind of Improv troupe are you? Are you at all similar to Tim and Eric (sorry if you hate them)?

IMG_5913.JPG

it's krampus

Because of the aforementioned posts describing the relative bimboness of the new women here, I assumed that you were a guy as well.

I assumed that you were a guy as well.

I'm a self-loathing female from time to time and have been known to talk shit about my female compatriots. But I think we should all be nice to metal chicks (unless they suck), it ain't always easy being a lady in the boys' club - and the testosterone that fills the room in message boards and show venues alike can be suffocating from time to time!

@JAGeagent thanks, I'm very photogenic and look about 200% worse in person ;)

@ThisIsACoolName, what kind of Improv troupe are you? Are you at all similar to Tim and Eric (sorry if you hate them)?

I don't watch Tim and Eric, but a quick google search seems to indicate that they do a sketch comedy show.

Everything I do is 100% improvised. I do not plan ahead and I never use scripts. As stated previously, I perform as a member of two troupes: Angry People Building Things and Capital t. Both perform what we call "Long form Improv", where we do an entire show based off one suggestion, gotten right at the beginning (usually a single word). Long form generally consists of straight scenes (as in there is no gimmick) with no breaks in between- when one scene is over we immediately start the next one. A standard long form set is about 30 to 45 minutes. Again, this is 100% improvised.

I also direct/ coach a troupe called Women With Class, who are, as the name would indicate, all women. They mostly perform a style of improv called "Short Form", where they do separate games. If you've ever seen Whose Line is it Anyway?, that is essentially what they do, except the games (or "structures" as we prefer to call them) are much more focused on the scene and less on the gimmick. For example, one of their most frequent structures is one called "Actor Narrates Actor", where two of them perform a scene and periodically step out an narrate for the other performer. Another one they do a lot is called "Rashomon", which is where three of them will recall a disaster or catastrophic event, each from their own characters unique point of view, and their recollections will reference/ connect/ differ from each others. The classy ladies are also capable of doing long form, but they usually don't.

Short form is generally more accessible to an audience unfamiliar with improv (it has breaks, a lot of audience participation, short scenes, etc.) and, somewhat ironically, lends itself to longer shows. Short form sets I've worked on have ranged in length from 15 minutes to two and a half hours.

We don't have very much on Youtube, unfortunately. This clip if from an APBT show we did a while back. Specifically, what you're seeing is an example of a tag out run. We didn't invent this, of course, but it's something we're known for.

Essentially, at some point in the show (usually around the middle- we avoid doing this near the top), if someone comes out with a character the others think they can have fun with in a tag out run, this is what we do. The idea is to take said character and place him/ her in increasingly strange/ inappropriate/ comical situations.

I don't remember why I did it, but apparently in this video I was doing a scene with Kyre (who sadly is no longer with APBT, though she is in Women with Class) and the choice I made was to be a character who was totally accommodating and would agree to whatever anyone wanted. Dan then decided to make it a tag out run. At the end of this video, Kyre does what we call an "edit" or a "wipe". That's how we signify the end of scenes (this is done when one thinks the scene has reached it's peak).

PS: When Chris comes out with the mirror thing, that's a callback. A callback is a reference to an event or character that occurred/ appeared earlier in the show. He and Kyre had done a scene where she was a psychologist (or something like that) and was trying to have him look into a mirror and see his "true self". The scene ended with him saying something like "I can see... me eyes... I think I have astigmatism".

Last edited by a moderator: