The pics thread

Still uploading more lol.

100mm 2.8 Macro L IS

I might be ordering my last lens for a long while now too, the 24-70mm L.

I want it so badly, but fuck do I also want IS on that bad boy.

Ah, I was thinking a little bit about the 100mm 2.8 USM, but I think I'd rather go with a Sigma 24-70mm 2.8 IF EX D HSM or the Tamron thats 28-75mm, or maybe a 70-200mm Sigma or Tamron.

Wish lenses weren't so expensive :|

The Tamron 17-50 NON-VC is actually a damn good buy for a general walk around lens.

But yeah, for telephoto or wide lenses I would rather go for Canon/Nikon/Zeiss (to a degree) lenses.

asianagingb.jpg

HAHAHAHAHA that is SO true.

Actually I have zero knowledge, expertise or particular interest in that entire subgenre of orchestral music. I will check out some Youtube videos though. I am very boring and I play straightforward major-minor key bullshit. The more melodramatic and Jewish-sounding, the more I enjoy playing it.

I can't stand cookie cutter classical. There are a few tonal pieces that I do like though they are mostly Russian composers. Listen to Arnold Schoenberg's Verklärte Nacht. I consider it the most touching and beautiful piece ever written. It calls for a string septet. This piece was written shortly before Schoenberg developed his twelve tone system.

As for atonal and twelve tone, here are some excellent pieces that got me into the style of music:

Anton Webern, Op. 5 movement 1
George Crumb, Black Angels-Departure (This one is especially harsh)
Akira Nishimura, Threnody for Cello
Arnold Schoenberg, Variationen fur Orchester
Olivier Messiaen, Turangalila Symphony (The guy that I play music with and I base most of our writing on his modes of limited transposition)

Beware, all twelve tone and atonal is extremely unresolved. I found it uncomfortable to listen to when I was first exposed to it. It takes a few listens to adjust to.

I can't stand most cookie-cutter classical either but I love Romantic era stuff like the Franck Violin Sonata and Grieg in general. So far the "edgiest" composer I have been able to get into is Gorecki, so this will be interesting.

I will check those out, I won't have a whole lot of time to do so with a busy schedule upcoming but I promise I will eventually. When I worked in a music library, Schoenberg scores were being checked out at a fantastic rate, but only the name is familiar.

Man, I hardly ever listen to classical music. I think the thing that keeps me away from it is that it's such an idealistic, fantasy-driven type of music for the most part and these days I'm hardly ever in a mood where I can appreciate / relate to that. Only ever really had a taste for it during high school.

so i've decided i'm going to cut my hair and donate it to locks of love. i've been growing it since i was 13 so it's pretty intense but i don't know what's a good hairstyle or anything since i haven't ever really had normal hair. if any of you guys could help me look at some hairstyles i'd really appreciate it and if any girls have input that'd be great too (getting to look more attractive in the process would obviously be welcome haha):
188761_115588411850801_109394655803510_117090_6610159_n.jpg

156841_153670828014004_100001132633077_281801_4797417_n.jpg

zabu of nΩd;9716356 said:
I think the thing that keeps me away from it is that it's such an idealistic, fantasy-driven type of music for the most part and these days I'm hardly ever in a mood where I can appreciate / relate to that.

Then why the shit do you listen to metal? Or do you listen to metal? :mad:

I think he was probably intending to say something more like 'abstract' than 'fantastic/idealistic'. A lot of classical music is actually quite the opposite of fantastic or idealistic, although it's hard to tell from instrumental pieces if you don't know the backgrounds of the compositions.

Yeah let's try that again. 'Abstract' is definitely a better word choice to describe classical music. As far as how I've related to it in the past, it's typically been in an idealistic/fantastic way. I would agree that 'fantastic' and 'idealistic' are terms more applicable to metal, and that was largely what drew me into metal initially.

I have indeed grown distant from fantastic and idealistic music in recent years, including the subset of metal falling under that description. This may explain why I am most attracted to the likes of Ministry, Metallica and other metal bands that I perceive as delivering a more clear and penetrating emotional statement without the use of unnecessary abstraction or stylization. This of course isn't all that I am looking for in metal these days, or in any other genre of music, but it is a huge factor in the emotional outlet I currently seek in music.

:lol:

I can't stand most cookie-cutter classical either but I love Romantic era stuff like the Franck Violin Sonata and Grieg in general. So far the "edgiest" composer I have been able to get into is Gorecki, so this will be interesting.

For me, in order of personal preference:
- baroque
- renaissance
- early religious music
- classical

Post-1820 I have real issues with how western art music developed, in terms of instruments, types of strings used, playing techniques and vocal techniques. I'm not a fan of vibrato, but can tolerate it in The Magic Flute for example. So without going into why and sounding like a total dickhead, I prefer harpsichord to piano, the viol family to violins and cellos, lute to guitar, and so on. I also prefer the middle eastern influence on earlier dance music. If anything, we actually have the middle east to thank for the music we have today.

Gorecki: I'm guessing you're talking about Symphony No.3? God it's so DARK. Super super depressing, which is what makes it so awesome.

so i've decided i'm going to cut my hair and donate it to locks of love. i've been growing it since i was 13 so it's pretty intense but i don't know what's a good hairstyle or anything since i haven't ever really had normal hair. if any of you guys could help me look at some hairstyles i'd really appreciate it and if any girls have input that'd be great too (getting to look more attractive in the process would obviously be welcome haha):
188761_115588411850801_109394655803510_117090_6610159_n.jpg

156841_153670828014004_100001132633077_281801_4797417_n.jpg

Obviously the shaved head look. Satanic Skinhead.

I don't know if I ever posted about it, but I was thinking about cutting my hair too (and also donating it to locks of love :lol:). Problem is, I have no idea what hairstyle I'd want it to be, besides fairly short.

Figured I'd expand on this a little more. Metal still makes up a pretty big chunk of my music listening, but the real thing is that music overall is much less of a focus in my life since I started full time work. I listen to some ambient/trance shit during the work week just for background noise, and any kind of serious listening I do almost exclusively on weekends, especially now that I'm traveling for work and don't have shit to listen on while I'm away from home. Right now my 'serious music time' is mainly during long drives (which I do a lot of). That's just the most appropriate time to really absorb/appreciate what I'm listening to.

So because of that I've been pretty slow picking up new bands lately. In the past couple months the only metal bands I've checked out are Motley Crue, Def Leppard and Isis. :lol: Isis would be perfect for my general mood right now, but unfortunately I find most of their music really boring and poorly written.

Enemy242 - don't cut it super short. If you really have been growing it since 13, ten inches isn't that much. At shoulder length have it tapered so there is more volume around the crown of the head than at the bottom, elsewise you risk looking like a dork with hair all the exact same length. I think long hair really, really suits you (and is the more attractive option).

Hubster - Shit I didn't realize Gorecki died?! And yes, it is the darkest thing I have ever heard. I can't handle that kind of crushing depressive onslaught very often so I reserve listening for very special and very dark times.

I can't stand cookie cutter classical. There are a few tonal pieces that I do like though they are mostly Russian composers. Listen to Arnold Schoenberg's Verklärte Nacht. I consider it the most touching and beautiful piece ever written. It calls for a string septet. This piece was written shortly before Schoenberg developed his twelve tone system.

I watched the version on YT with the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra playing it live and was moved to tears on the first listen.

As for atonal and twelve tone, here are some excellent pieces that got me into the style of music:

Anton Webern, Op. 5 movement 1
George Crumb, Black Angels-Departure (This one is especially harsh)
Akira Nishimura, Threnody for Cello
Arnold Schoenberg, Variationen fur Orchester
Olivier Messiaen, Turangalila Symphony (The guy that I play music with and I base most of our writing on his modes of limited transposition)

I checked these out on YT. Definitely, definitely uncomfortably unresolved. The Crumb will have me dreaming of horned beasts eating my face. It's hard for me to think outside the "how would it be to play this?" box personally with orchestral/string music.

Hubster - Shit I didn't realize Gorecki died?! And yes, it is the darkest thing I have ever heard. I can't handle that kind of crushing depressive onslaught very often so I reserve listening for very special and very dark times.

It is super dark isn't it... I've cried listening to it a number of times, it's REALLY depressive and tears you right open. Too powerful, so like you, reserved for the times when it's really needed...

Went to Belle Island in Richmond yesterday with a friend. It met the textbook definition of "a nice saturday afternoon outside".

belle-island-1.jpg

I really wanted a better picture of the girl in the red dress sitting behind the dude on the rock, because she was fucking smoking.

belle-island-2.jpg

The friend I went with. She's a filipino badass.

belle-island-3.jpg