The pics thread

Haha, she was fine. That shot came after she noticed me trying to take a picture of her, so she ended up self-conscious when I took it. The same thing happened with me when she had tried photoing me earlier.

We spent like 11 hours together that day, at least 3 of which consisted of super-deep life-sharing conversations. It was a trip.

Wow, nice job blighting the landscape and stripping all the foliage of the earth! That must have taken some work indeed.

I can't stand cookie cutter classical. There are a few tonal pieces that I do like though they are mostly Russian composers. Listen to Arnold Schoenberg's Verklärte Nacht. I consider it the most touching and beautiful piece ever written. It calls for a string septet. This piece was written shortly before Schoenberg developed his twelve tone system.

As for atonal and twelve tone, here are some excellent pieces that got me into the style of music:

Anton Webern, Op. 5 movement 1
George Crumb, Black Angels-Departure (This one is especially harsh)
Akira Nishimura, Threnody for Cello
Arnold Schoenberg, Variationen fur Orchester
Olivier Messiaen, Turangalila Symphony (The guy that I play music with and I base most of our writing on his modes of limited transposition)

Beware, all twelve tone and atonal is extremely unresolved. I found it uncomfortable to listen to when I was first exposed to it. It takes a few listens to adjust to.

I would add

Krzysztof Penderecki
Pierre Boulez(more tolerable I think)
Milton Babbitt

I can't stand most cookie-cutter classical either but I love Romantic era stuff like the Franck Violin Sonata and Grieg in general. So far the "edgiest" composer I have been able to get into is Gorecki, so this will be interesting.

I will check those out, I won't have a whole lot of time to do so with a busy schedule upcoming but I promise I will eventually. When I worked in a music library, Schoenberg scores were being checked out at a fantastic rate, but only the name is familiar.

His scores are some of the most popular to analyze, when he was a live a lot of the great jazz musicians worshiped him, along with other composers, and took some of the same ideas and applied it to jazz. Miles Davis picked up every new score he could and listened to mostly classical music at home.

I'm a personal love over romantic and early 20th century composers, nothing, and I mean nothing, beats the powerful, ethereal and moving works by Wagner, Bruckner, Rachmaninov, Shostakovich, Mahler....etc.

It is super dark isn't it... I've cried listening to it a number of times, it's REALLY depressive and tears you right open. Too powerful, so like you, reserved for the times when it's really needed...

I didn't get the dark atmosphere from it, I picked it up like a month ago and I thought it was incredibly beautiful if anything. The first movement is divine, with the beginning plodding with the double basses slowly building into this huge string monolith.

zabu of nΩd;9721860 said:
The friend I went with. She's a filipino badass.

belle-island-3.jpg

What's up w/ this chick? Reveal more of her body as I suspect some fatness. Grant, I know you have the goods on picture, I know it's there somewhere.

What's up w/ this chick? Reveal more of her body as I suspect some fatness. Grant, I know you have the goods on picture, I know it's there somewhere.

Actually I don't, we really haven't spent much time together and she's not on facebook so that's almost all I've got of her. She's not fat -- basically the same amount of pudgy that I am due to lack of exercise, but still qualifying as 'thin'.