The pics thread

went camping this weekend in King's Canyon National Park. These are my two favorite pictures from the trip taken during a hike

mGx9I4C.jpg

zJKCLwB.jpg

went camping this weekend in King's Canyon National Park. These are my two favorite pictures from the trip taken during a hike

mGx9I4C.jpg

zJKCLwB.jpg

Looks nice. I've never been to King's Canyon, but I went to Sequoia with my field geology class and it was beautiful there. Did you make it over to Sequoia?

Looks nice. I've never been to King's Canyon, but I went to Sequoia with my field geology class and it was beautiful there. Did you make it over to Sequoia?

Drove through Sequoia but I've been there before. I feel like King's Canyon is a little more secluded than Sequoia (though both are amazing)

I just got back from an amazing 2 1/2 weeks in Oaxaca, Mexico. I did a Spanish immersion program, stayed with a local family and explored the city and its neighboring Pueblos. It's an amazing region, culturally and artistically.

Part 1: Churches

Catedral de Santo Domingo, the central church of the city.

Interior

Catedral Soledad

Catedral de Oaxaca

Preciosa Sangre de Cristo, a church in the pueblo of Teotitlan

Interior

Part 2: Artisans and Culture

A veteran rug-weaver in Teotitlan, a Zapotec pueblo renown for its rug weaving

The rug I bought

Another rug-weaver shows the items used for dying the rugs, including: indigo, pomegranate skin, walnut shells, and the blood of an insect that lives on cacti.

Guelaguetza dancers in action.

A weary young guelaguetza dancer.

Virgin de Guadalupe: signifies the union of indigenous and Catholic ideologies that characterizes the region (and Mexico in general) through the manifestation of the feminine divine in the body of an indigenous woman.

Just cool graffiti

I didn't take many food pics, though I did have some bomb tacos there among many other things.

The only food pic worth sharing is chapulines, which crickets fried on a clay pan and then covered in chile and lime. They are a bomb snack food and great with beer.