The pics thread

It isn't that I want the entire human race not to survive - the whole point is that in the scenario you're laying out, the overwhelming majority of the earth's population are going to be wiped out anyway. If that happens, preserving our genetic blueprint on another world won't make any of us feel any better about it. In fact, if we've all proven ourselves to be that self destructive, perhaps it's best we don't preserve it.

I was picturing the world being destroyed by an outside event such as the sun expanding which is happening eventually.

Imo even if we do destroy our own world, if we're smart enough to figure out how to escape our own destruction in time we're worth saving, and we'll certainly learn our lesson. Money should not be a limiting factor to that, we need to be smart enough to realize that as well.

Much of your point of not funding NASA because "fix earth first" is moot anyway. A large part of NASA IS working on fixing earth. The division I work in is climate science, and there are more satellites studying the earth than all other satellites combined.

Even Mars missions partially study why Mars is the way it is, and how we can avoid the same fate.

Pretty sure that by the time the sun explodes (if we're still around), we'll have degenerated/evolved into something completely unrecognisable and non-human anyway. But I take your point.

As to money not being a limiting factor, I'd agree only if I felt the potential benefits of off-world colonisation for what are essentially sentimental reasons outweighed the benefits of investing that money wisely in the present.

Your last post I agree with for the most part. I'm not sure how understanding the natural changes on mars will help us modify our behaviour to control the anthropogenic changes on Earth, but I'll take your word for it.

Your last post I agree with for the most part. I'm not sure how understanding the natural changes on mars will help us modify our behaviour to control the anthropogenic changes on Earth, but I'll take your word for it.

It's more like understanding the natural changes on Mars may help us understand natural changes on earth, with the idea that future technology could perhaps modify them to our needs. There are other reasons for going to Mars of course.

This is why all you fuckers from Upsidedownland are weird

13938602_10153782670891179_4436057146635474986_n.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Draehl, CiG and Dak