The Powerless Rise, Greatest Metalcore Content Ever?

JakeAC5253

Frozen Sun Audio
Nov 19, 2010
I've been listening to this album a lot lately, and I can't help but notice how good it is considering the genre. It sounds like a metal album. By that, I mean it has a sense of athleticism, musicianship, and feels overall genuine. The production is fantastic, but it does not feel overproduced. Sometimes it feels very formulaic to the genre, but in a good way, like it's not forced, but just using a certain musical aspect where it fits. Good growls, good screams, good sung sections, even the use of Autotune is very tamed... I am impressed. For once I think the idea of Metalcore as a genre has been pulled off effectively.

Your thoughts?

the previous album was great, this is also a great album. Parallels is probably my favourite song, and the intro riff in Condemned is the most bad ass riff ever!lol

As a quite big influence I wrote this song months ago, there a are some riffs very "As I lay dying"

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1457645/s4.mp3

Yep, Colin in this one.
I used the album as one of the references for a recent project I was working on (the other being Carnal Forge's "Testify for My Victims", another great album), and I really got into the songs. Very well produced and elaborated.

If you guys want some awesome metalcore, check out anything by Misery Signals, Shai Hulud, Converge, 7 Angels 7 Plagues, or Poison the Well.

Metalcore wasn't always a dirty word, it's my favorite genre but there's so much crap in it. All that synth metalcore, brodown metalcore and gothenburg metalcore shouldn't speak for the genre as a whole.