The Probably Stoppable MMA Thread

OK so here is one of the prettiest things I've ever seen in MMA. This is a prime example of optimum usage of Judo and Brazilian Jiu-JItsu in MMA. THe two sports (Judo, BJJ) are a bit different when adapted to an MMA fight and the guy below is one of the very best at combining the two. His name is Demian Maia. This entire sequence is all planned out from the beginning and it nearly brings a tear to my eye with how perfectly executed it is and how pretty it looks.

It starts with both fighters in the clinch (standing, hands wrapped up around each other's heads), Maia with his back towards the middle of the ring. Pay attention to Sonnen's (Maia's opponent) right arm. Maia has it trapped from the very beginning, even before this takedown. Once Maia secures Sonnen's right arm he already knows how this fight is going to (hopefully) end. He trips Sonnen into a nice body to body suplex, never letting go of that right arm. The takedown is perfect and Maia ends up in full mount, right where he wants to be.

DemianMaiaTripTakedownChaelSonnenUF.gif

Notice that he never once let go of Sonnen's right arm.

At the end of that gif you can see Maia start to lean a little bit forward over Sonnen's right shoulder. Under ANY other circumstance, this is a terrible idea because you're basically giving your opponent an easy sweep, meaning he can use your weight and momentum against you and roll you over and end up on top. However, this is exactly what Maia wants and expects Sonnen to do, so he leans over the shoulder on purpose, intentionally letting Sonnen sweep him. With Maia still holding Sonnen's right arm, in the middle of the sweep he throws his right leg over Sonnen's left shoulder and by the time the sweep is completed Maia already sunk in a NASTY triangle choke. Sonnen can't escape and has to tap out before he goes to sleep. Maia wins by the most beautiful triangle setup I've ever seen in an MMA fight.

DemianMaiaTriangleChokesChaelSonnen.gif

It was all about that right arm, and the fact he had it trapped before he ever even took Sonnen down shows he was planning this entire setup out from the very beginning.

Maia has had 5 fights in the UFC and won them all by submission, 4 of which earned him "Submission of the night" bonuses. He's fast becoming a favorite of mine.

Holy fuck this is an amazing ending!!! Inverted backwards triangle, are you kidding me?!?!?! Best submission ever, I bet we never see one like this again.

Last edited by a moderator:
No one you know can take Fedor. He is THE BEST!

Arlovski had his number until he got excited and made a stupid mistake. Had Arlovski not attempted that flying knee and kept everything cool, I think he could have KO'd Fedor. It was heading that towards direction. I completely believe Fedor is beatable and it's just a matter of time before it happens.

Also, that last gif... nowadays Mark Hunt would have been sleeping face down after that kick. His legendary chin has gone the way of all flesh, but that gif is still impressive. Not many could ever survive a Crocop headkick.

npjdl3.jpg

Tough to say for the main event.

Wanderlei Silva vs Rich Franklin - I'm going with Silva by KO, but I think it'll be a great fight. Rich has never been extremely powerful, and Silva has shown he's got a solid chin, so I think he can withstand Franklin's striking long enough to get in tight with a Muay Thai clinch. That's when we'll see Franklin's eyes light up in imminent worry when starts having flashbacks of Brazilian knees finding their way to his nose. If Rich wins this fight it will be by decision. Minus a puncher's chance, I don't see Franklin finishing Wanderlei.

Cheick Kongo vs Cain Velasquez - This is one of those fights where if it stays standing, one guy wins, and if it goes to the ground the other guy wins. If Velasquez can get in tight on Kongo and bring him to the mat, I don't think it will take long for him to pound Kongo out and win by TKO. Kongo's shown marked improvement in his ground game and takedown defense in recent fights, but in order for him to beat Velasquez, he's going to have to take chances with big kicks and punches. If those chances fail, he'll get taken down. I'm going with Velasquez by TKO, ground and pound style.

Ben Saunders vs Mike Swick - I am not on the Saunders hype train yet. His Muay Thai was particularly devastating in his last fight, but I"m still not sold on the guy. Beating Swick will help but I don't think he's there yet. Swick is too fast and explosive. Swick by submission following a flurry of striking.

I'm way busy at work right now and don't have time to call the rest right now. However, I do think Cro-cop will KO Al Turk, also.

Tough to say for the main event.

Wanderlei Silva vs Rich Franklin - I'm going with Silva by KO, but I think it'll be a great fight. Rich has never been extremely powerful, and Silva has shown he's got a solid chin, so I think he can withstand Franklin's striking long enough to get in tight with a Muay Thai clinch. That's when we'll see Franklin's eyes light up in imminent worry when starts having flashbacks of Brazilian knees finding their way to his nose. If Rich wins this fight it will be by decision. Minus a puncher's chance, I don't see Franklin finishing Wanderlei.

Cheick Kongo vs Cain Velasquez - This is one of those fights where if it stays standing, one guy wins, and if it goes to the ground the other guy wins. If Velasquez can get in tight on Kongo and bring him to the mat, I don't think it will take long for him to pound Kongo out and win by TKO. Kongo's shown marked improvement in his ground game and takedown defense in recent fights, but in order for him to beat Velasquez, he's going to have to take chances with big kicks and punches. If those chances fail, he'll get taken down. I'm going with Velasquez by TKO, ground and pound style.

Ben Saunders vs Mike Swick - I am not on the Saunders hype train yet. His Muay Thai was particularly devastating in his last fight, but I"m still not sold on the guy. Beating Swick will help but I don't think he's there yet. Swick is too fast and explosive. Swick by submission following a flurry of striking.

I'm way busy at work right now and don't have time to call the rest right now. However, I do think Cro-cop will KO Al Turk, also.

Your pretty good with predictions, spot on

however did Wandy forget about his Muay Thai clinch?