The 'Promote Your Band' Thread Mk.II

Haha, it does have a lot of dub influence there. But I'm really enjoying music production sooooo much at the moment that I'm trying out loooads of fucked up ideas and some really complex stuff. Not listening to any styles as an influence at all... just my own brain. Which has took a bit of a battering over the last few months with maths, physics and partying hahaa

Since I'm taking a couple of weeks off from Vindicator while I recover from my bout of doomflu (now a band!), I've had some time to reassess the situation with my other projects. The result?

Hypertension and Skullstörm are being scrapped completely, and the Bloodbrawl album will (kind of) be put on the scrapheap.

Skullstörm was a lot of fun while we were still eager for it, but being an album comprised entirely of Bolt Thrower worship it made things difficult when it come down to variation. Simply put, we got fucking bored with the idea so we thought it'd be best to just quietly put it down instead of going through with it. Hypertension is a bit more infuriating, since everything was going so goddamn well for a while until it just kind of fizzled out - Vindicator really picked up which limited my input, our rhythm section went AWOL and the guitarist was just too busy with university to really contribute on any acceptable level. This left the Seb (the singer) and I feeling rather infuriated, Seb especially as he just wanted naught more than to play shows and shit, and it just wasn't going anywhere. I feel so goddamn sorry for him because he was so bloody patient for the best part of a year and a half and we had so much good shit going on... great songs, great band name, great members (until they buggered off), great everything. And it just went tits up. So again, it feels best to just quietly lay it to rest, for now at least - maybe we'll pick it up again sometime when we have the time and money to do it.

Bloodbrawl is the really odd instance though. The plan as of easter 2010 was to just write and record the EP followed by the album, then possibly do one show and call it a day. Everything on the EP has been written for a long time, and the album has been stuck at 99% for the best part of a year and a half, but I've just never had the time to do either... the sad fact of the matter is that Bloodbrawl, while a fantastic idea, was just situated in the wrong city. Even though everyone who joined in the past were excellent musicians, they just didn't understand the whole death-thrash thing and it resulted in more lineup changes than fucking Megadeth, so eventually I just decided to finish it myself. But it's pretty much a long-running joke ala Chinese Democracy in the UK these days (i.e. a fucking laughing stock due to it's sheer horrible luck), so doing the EP and then the album would be pretty counterproductive as the reputation (or lack thereof) connected to the band's name would simply marr people's view on what I feel is a pretty fucking terrific album. So the 'In the Lungs of Hell" EP will still be released for free download, but that'll be it. There'll be absolutely nothing else after that. As for the album, as stated, it won't be released.... under the Bloodbrawl name, or in it's current incarnation per se. Vindicator guitarist Chris and I started the Nefasturris project recently just to allow us to do the things we can't do in Vindicator - essentially hardcore punk mixed with death and thrash metal, nice short and to-the-point songs - and we took the name 'Nefasturris' from the Bloodbrawl album. Not wanting to let good stuff go to waste, I'm seriously considering re-writing a lot of the material from said album to make it a bit more in-line with this band's style, getting Bloodbrawl (now Xerxes) vocalist Joe Stamps to sing on the tracks that he wrote and then releasing the resulting tracks as a mini album and thusly dubbing it as the first official release by the project/band.

I know a few people on here have been through a few bands themselves (though I think I hold the record for most!) so I'm asking you people in particular (read: Dan, Joe) what you think of this approach. I refuse to let these songs go to waste as I've spent so long working on them, but they're completely unsuitable for Vindicator. Opinions!

Speaking of those horrible wankers from Leeds, after these next two shows we're all about this motherfucking album. Thank shit that I'm only writing two tracks that may or may not appear on certain editions... ;)

That's a super bummer. I'm pretty sure Blood brawl has been in fruition since I started posting here.

I would say make up a name that is vaguely like yours and release (because I want to hear it!)

I would say make up a name that is vaguely like yours and release (because I want to hear it!)

I don't understand... your choice of phrasing is a bit awkward here, mate.

And yeah, I started Bloodbrawl one 22nd April 2007... fucking hell, five years ago today actually! It was my last day in South Wales as I'd just quit my previous band and decided to do the death-thrash thing instead. Wow... that's really fucking eerie. All in all, if I hadn't tried to start the band up in Sheffield of all fucking place then it'd have done much, much better for itself since this city has NO good metal bands except for Xerxes, who've only just started out. Not to mention that Vindicator has kept me so occupied over the past year and a half that the whole thing just kept getting pushed back further and further, so now it's gotten to the point where it's almost completely irrelevant. It's a shame since it's been such a massive thing in my life, but it happens.

I just got off the phone with Chris, he's 100% for rearranging and releasing the now-ex-Bloodbrawl album as the first Nefasturris thing - in fact, he was absolutely fucking ecstatic about the ideas I pitched to him, probably even moreso than he's ever been about Vindicator hahahaha. But we're going to take it steady - no major plans or anything until In the Lungs of Hell is finished. Which'll probably be another five years at this point :lol: If I didn't learn to laugh at myself, I'd be dead.

Basically I just want to hear it. How come you always feel you need a band to back you up? You have all these ideas and all these bands and then the material never gets out there. Have you tried releasing the material and then just saying to people "Here is the music, if you like it, play it with me. If you don't go fuck yourself!"

But the Nefasturris thing sounds great. Do it or I'll lock you both in a basement till you procreate ^^

That was basically the idea with a lot of things for the most part. But I don't have the time or the patience for i anymore, I think I'm getting old :lol:

Nefasturris, provided that we can get it off the ground when the time comes, will be bloody stellar.

Also, whilst everyone's bands may be fantastic, I bet none of you have ever had a fan make a bellydancing video for your music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRmP2tDaZzY

Amazing.

Relative to the interest, yes.
I love this thread so much, probably my favorite thread in this place. Eventually i'll make a post in this thread with my own stuff. One day... one day!
Till then, hurry up with the Vindicktor stuff and Bloodbrawl and that other new idea you have. :kickass:

I know a few people on here have been through a few bands themselves (though I think I hold the record for most!) so I'm asking you people in particular (read: Dan, Joe) what you think of this approach. I refuse to let these songs go to waste as I've spent so long working on them, but they're completely unsuitable for Vindicator. Opinions!

Don't let them go to waste if you don't want to. But also... just do it man. You've put it off for a long time I know through no problem of your own. But there's nothing stopping you from just sitting down and doing it if you want to.

And yeah, I don't think you always need a band at all Dave. You make very serious plans with bands with huge write ups of things that are going to happen and things to do. But it's kinda pointless until you've got the music to show back. With Groan we'd never give anybody a detailed run down of what we're doing because people just don't care. People want to hear the music and if it's good people will know. So all I can say is just put the music out because you'll never know otherwise. I'm not digging at anything here, I'm just giving my honest answer to it all.

One thing I will never do... is take a band seriously. It's a laugh and it's meant to be fun. If it's neither of these, then it isn't worth it. Never take being a musician too seriously, never set yourself rules. Especially genre rules really... unless yes, it is a worship kinda band or a tribute band. But that should be for fun.

Make music for you, because you want to and make what you want to hear. In the end some other people may like it and it could work out. But I always go into everything with no bigger expectation than me just trying to do my best. If you do your best, that's all you can do and you should be proud of knowing you've put your all in.