The Rec Forum Directory Discussion Thread

unknown

fuck ftagn
Oct 27, 2003
The Red Tower
since we now have the GMD one up and running, the next task is the rec forum directory thread. The thread could go a number of ways, so I'm curious as to your guys' input. How do you vision the thread looking like? What would you want to see in it?

the way I envision the thread is that there will be genres and then just master lists of recs. so if a person wants to look at black metal recs, list a buttload of black metal bands. for death metal, death metal bands, etc... Linking to all the various threads would be a bit tedious. I don't know.

Or, as a second possibility, we could have separate threads for each genre and each of those threads linked to in the rec forum directory. Then all of the general black metal rec threads could be merged into one giant black metal rec thread, all the death metal rec threads into one, etc... and THOSE genre threads linked to in the rec directory thread

I think I repeated myself in that second one. whatever

discuss...

Second

Could go

Death/Thrash
Death Metal
Black Metal
etc

Just make it as general as possible. I don't know what you'd do about stuff like 'Bands that sound like Candlemass' and such threads. Probably just file them under Doom or just merge everything?

You might want to consolidate a bunch of the threads first

I thought the whole idea of the forum was to allow specific/unusual requests rather than just lump everything together. I think this is a really bad idea in general and will probably kill the recs forum. If I want a BM band with classical-sounding keys, I'm not going to trawl through all the BM threads to find one. Or if a newby says "I'm interested in BM but get turned off by harsh vocals", we can't exactly point them to an archived list of "essential BM" or "gateway BM" now, can we?

probably not. the purpose of the thread is more general in nature mostly because a lot of people don't utilize the search function, and as a result, we get fifty generic threads asking for black metal recs. If somebody has something particular/certain in mind (such as black metal w/o harsh vocals), that can warrant its own thread. While suggesting black metal with clean vocals, we can also point the poster to the directory in case he/she becomes interested in metal with harsh vocals. The directory thread's main purpose is to just clean up the generic "Recommend me some good _____ bands" threads.

Yeah I get that, but I'm still not too sure about it. I mean, if we point to a thread where some generic BM recs were made, chances are if the thread was repeated six months later, we would get entirely different albums recommended by entirely different posters. In GMD we have a "best guitarists" thread pop up every six months or so, and I don't think anyone really minds that the conversation has already happened before. If we force people to post in old threads rather than repeat them in new ones, it seems to me that the board will stagnate.

Who's forcing anyone? The idea is just to make it easier for people to find recommendations that have already been given.

so I posted the black metal one. go check it out and lemme know what you think

also keep in mind, once I have a few more genre directory threads, those will be merged under a Grand Genre directory thread

Why create multiple threads? Just stick them all in one - it'll be cleaner and easier. If you don't want the OP to get too big, then just stick a few more placeholder posts after the OP and fill them up as the list grows. You can use the OP to link to the other threads, like a table of contents.

Let me add that there are currently 25 genres listed in the GMD directory, so I really doubt you want to end up with that many threads (or more) cluttering up the Recs subforum.