The Return Of The King...by the leg down!

FatherVic

MasterMelon
Oct 10, 2001
trollcave
Well...I didn't have tiime last wednesday to write something about the amazing movie!!!!

But I wanted to say that this movie is simply AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was about to cry at least 4 times and the girl who was sitting near me, cried at least once ;) :p
The only problem is that I felt both happy and sad. Happy because i felt it was a masterpiece and sad because there's no more lord of the rings next year. These years it was sooooo cool to wait for Xmas to get a new movie...but no more...
And that left me with a deep sad feeling...

But shit, if you haven't gone, then go...go and enjoy for god's sake!!!

I just found a couple of things that were done a bit wrong or that could have been improved, but I won't comment them until the robot of the community watches the movie and we can discuss the millions of errors he will find :p ehehehe

so, what did you think about THE MOVIE????

I can't believe Peter Jackson (The director) came all the way from directing Dead Alive to Lord of the Rings! Dead Alive is the most cheesiest movies I've ever seen (That's why it was good), but The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King is one of the best movies I've seen. The movie makes me want to move to New Zealand! Greatpiece of artwork. The whole series is a masterpiece.

Sorry Melancholia. I got him mixed up with another person name Phil Jackson!!!

:worship: Definitely one of the best movies i've ever seen...i want to see it again and again....
A M A Z I N G as FV already mentioned.... and just like him i also feeln both happy and sad...happy because the movie is a masterpiece and now that i've seen it i can say that filming the LoTR book was successful!! and sad cause now i won't have sth to wait :( apart from the special edition DVD next year....

I've seen the movie once,so far.... but i feel i love it a bit more than the second...and hmmm slightly more than the first.For the latter i'm not sure and anyway maybe it's not the correct time for comparisons yet...
I found the movie very exciting!!! I liked it alot cause it was both a dark and bright movie at the same time... I felt shivers many times during it and in the
end i cried and came out of the cinema in a totally overwhelmed state....

There were some things that weren't so well done, but i'll also wait for the robot to discuss these points...

Anyway, to cut a long story short,no movie is 100% perfect...but many movies can approach perfection and i think the return of the king is one of these (or so i feel so far)...maybe some few points were less well-done,but in such a long movie,which is so supreme in many other aspects,i think it's not worth giving so much attention to some few errors

I'm totally bewitched by the movie and want to watch it again and again....

theredinthesky@ it's Peter not Phil

/troll (who feels bad correcting people)

Melancholia said:
because the movie is a masterpiece

Is... is it? I'm just back at home after watching the movie and it is the best of three, doubtless. And I was about to cry a couple of times. This third part was quite good, all the emotional charge unfolded at the end of the movie, and the plot very close to the original story make of it a very good movie, indeed.

When I was coming back home I was thinking how to reply to this thread, and thought that this time I hadn't too much to criticize about the movie. After the great disappointment with Matrix Revolutions, this movie is almost perfect. However, when I've seen your comments and exclamations (AMAZING! A masterpiece!), it seems to me that I disagree more than I thought at first. Now, there are some factors I find particularly annoying:

1) Liv Tyler.
2) Liv Tyler (yes, she's really... really... something very bad!)
3) The photography (the way the camera gets the plane, and the awful changes of camera)
4) Cate Blanchett (Galadriel, who doesn't match the character)

Let me stress the third point, because it actually breaks my concentration and takes me out of the story. It is very, very important to take special care of the photography design in order to bring certain sort of emotions, attitudes and expressions, and even more, to keep the mind occupied thinking that world is absolutely real and the adventures are actually happening right there, on the screen.

Well, on the other side, I still love how Viggo Mortensen brings life to Aragorn. Eowyn is pretty good too, I would choose her instead of Liv Tyler without thinking twice. Faramir... psche, he's not bad at all. But hey, I actually liked it, I'm thinking about going once more to watch it!!! ;)

I miss certain things in the story, like the part when Saruman is fired from The Shire after the hobbits' return. But well, let's see what's still waiting on the extended version, with 5 hours of running time (about 1 hour and a half more!!!) ;)

|ng (The controversy's been brought!)

P.S: I knew of Peter Jackson and his previous movies before LoTR, and I really disliked the stuff he was doing. From "Meet The Feebles" to "Braindead", he was a director who seemed dramatically affected by some sort of childhood's trauma. His best movie, imo, was The Frighteners, starring Michael J. Fox and with a ghost resembling a Nazgul as the evil character. A bit Disney oriented, though.

well, what makes it a masterpiece??
For me, it's the fact that this is not something thought for the big screen...it's just and adaption of a book. And they have achieved so much! It's so well done that I can't think something else but masterpiece. Ok, may be it's not like Schindler's List or so many other masterpieces, but if we keep in mind that magnitude of the project and the results when it could have been the most horrible crap, the it's just to take your hat off!
Also thinking that it made me want to cry, and the feelings of pride and hope filled me while watching the movie gives it an A++++! Very few movies have done that to me.
Even though once again, this is something that will vary depending on your relationship with the book and the whole story. Probably somebody who has never read the book or doesn't even care about elves and dwarves will think that it's a movie for kids...I don't know!

I agree that Liv Tyler is horrible (and I said the same...I'd have chosen Eowyn), but it's logic that they had to cut the final in the Shire, it was simply too much to do, but as you say it'll be in the extended version.

For me, may be the only real problem with the movie is the proportions...they say we're 6.000 riders, and then the army looks like 100.000. Or the army the orcs??? that's probably half a million people there!!! I know that Tolkien made it clear that it looked like a black sea, but well then don't give a number of the people you are dealing with. I don't know, for me that's the only thing that might have looked a bit odd.
The rest was perfect for me in this movie, loyal to the script and no shitty things like the first movie with Galadriel (which btw, i think Cate Blanchet rules, the only problem is that she's dressed to much in a Virgin Mary way)

as for Peter Jackson's films...well I enjoyed Braindead, if only because it's a funny gore movie without much sense (and it's actually the only gore (may be along with Bad Taste) that I can stand). And I agree that Frighteners was cool, and the evil ghost which was somehow like death in the movie was AMAZING!!!

FatherVic said:
For me, it's the fact that this is not something thought for the big screen...it's just and adaption of a book.
why Venancio, if it had not been thought for the big screen it would have not been cut so badly, maybe delivered in several chapters or something, and now that I've destroyed that claim of yours :heh: which you thought would make you look cool and savvy, I shall say that I liked the movie very much, it seems to me like they listened to the fans' compalints before editing it, and they did a good job, Liv Tyler didn't steal too much screen time (I was thinking of a cheesy wedding scene), Legolas' oliphant killing stunt wasn't as shitty as TTT's sliding on a shield, and overall it was a very enjoyable movie, though I think the people who haven't read the books enjoyed it more, because they didn't know what was left out :)

|ngenius said:
1) Liv Tyler.
2) Liv Tyler (yes, she's really... really... something very bad!)
FatherVic said:
I agree that Liv Tyler is horrible
:Shedevil: :Shedevil: :Shedevil: :Shedevil: to both of you!!!
:D
Miranda Otto is definitely beautiful,but her beauty is earthly and thus not suitable for the role of an Elf,which is supposed to be sth more beautiful than the common concept of beauty... Liv Tyler's beauty reaches that level imho and for that reason i think she is the suitable one for the role of Arwen...I don't udnerstand why you don't like Liv Tyler...this girl looks like a real goddess,she is extraordinary beautiful and having seen her in some TV interview I realised that she is as beautiful without the elvish dresses and the makeup...and her voice is so peaceful and tender...I think she was ideal for the role!

Eowyn somehow pisses me off...the fact that she goes to the battle and fight etc etc is supercool.but as a whole her character annoys me as much a s Boromir was pissing me off both in the book and in the movie...
As for Faramir,which i disliked quite much on the second movie, i liked a lot in the last one...apart from the character Faramir i think that the actor representing him plays well...

Thanatos said:
egolas' oliphant killing stunt wasn't as shitty as TTT's sliding on a shield
:lol: indeed this was one of the lamest scenes in the movie...I mean,okay,Legolas is cool and rules and so on and so on,but come on!!there has to be a limit to his supreme fighting abilities heheh

Talking about lame scenes,i have to admit that i didn't really like the beginning of the movie...It's not lame though.but quite badly done.Yup,i'm refering to the story of Smeagol and how he become Gollum...It is good that they included these informations,but these scenes could have been filmed in a better way...

Before shutting up,i'd agree with FV about the size of the armies...They look 10 times more than the number´mentioned in the books,but i think they did so in the movie,so that the Mordor army will look really big and gives us the feeling of "wooooooooow, they are so brave that they decided to fight against all these forces" or sth like that... I think that if they had stuck to the real proportions the armies would look small in the screen....

I want to see the movie again!!!!! :cry:

/little witch

The conception of beauty might differ depending on the eyes that are looking, so there's no point in discussing here. I find Liv Tyler far from any meaning of divine attributions, but it's just an opinion. :) The same goes for Boromir, character that I liked especially and think FV is going to agree with me on this.

As for the section with the hobbit Smeagol stealing the ring from the dead hands of his friend (was his cousin?), I found it quite good, that was something that they could skip easily, and they finally recorded. That's great, it's a part that gives more definition to the plot.

|ng.

bub,ingenius is of course right about the beauty thing...but for women like Liv Tyler or Adrianna Sklenarikova i have difficulty to believe that there's people who don't like them :p

Adding to the robot's post,i'd like to say that it would be dumb to omit the story of Gollum,cause it does not only provides us withuseful info about the gollum's past,but also gives a good example on what the ring can do to its keeper...

/troll (Tireeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed)

sure!!! For me both Boromir and Faramir are cool and great characters...Boromir (which is played greatly in the movie) gives a bit of darkness to the whole story showing the real powers of the ring and the weakness of men...I think is cool...
as for beauty...well, we all agree :p

gollum...I did like the fact that they put the story...I didn't like the way the did it...it could be done in a better way IMHO...specially the transformation from a hobbit to the final gollum...it lacks a bit of style...i don't know..

BTW: the other day we went to the cinema near our flat to watch the movie again and we found that it was sold out...so we had to return those horrible 50 meters without being able to fullfil our purpose :p

tomorrow sweetie, tomorrow =)) this time i'll get tickets from a bit earlier heheh
learnt my lesson that is :p i didn't expect it would be sold-out the other day,not at all!!!!

(excuse me,but i can't help it!!!)

*huge huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuggie* =))

and oh,FV is an amazing company to go to the cinema with

/troll (s'agapao, koita!!!!)