The River Dragon Hath Come: Cover (feat J Locke, 5150, Slate drums, Schecter Loomis)

This sounds reeeeally fucking amazing!
What settings did you use on the TS, and what channel on the 5150?
The bass sounds really beastly aswell, what processing did you do?

This is pretty awesome!
I would say, cut some lower mids around 300Hz and the tone is almost dead on! Great work!
The clean part is a bit thinner than the original, make it a bit less bright and add some low-mids...

I can't stand the ambience of the snare to be honest, is too bright/cracky and too wet...

Really digging the singer, but as it has been already said, the vocals should be a bit louder...

Fantastic job overall, now add the tapping part, the swells and fix the harmonies ;)

(oh, and TH1 can be used without iLok)

Thanks Alu, I have made the suggested tweaks (altho the minor ones) in mix update 3.

This sounds really good man! It is always good to hear someone cover such an iconic song so well.

The solo tone was a little buzzy for my taste, but the playing was definitely pretty damn decent.

Would you mind uploading the MIDI file for the drums at all? I'd love to try covering it sometime. :)

Midi coming soon :)

I bloody knew it was that fusion kick! Its VERY similar if not the same sample used on the original!

Good ears Jamus!! Andy said he did that indeed, so I went out and bought the D4 collection for this precise purpose :lol:

This sounds reeeeally fucking amazing!
What settings did you use on the TS, and what channel on the 5150?
The bass sounds really beastly aswell, what processing did you do?

Thanks sickan! 5150 Red channel, as I recall, maximum bass, maximum treble, maximum armour! Mids about 10am. Prescence and res I tend to shuffle round to 3pm. Tube screamer would have been standard settings , a touch of drive around 9 oclock, and the rest at 12. Ive got one of these funky tube screamers where I can change the chip for the TS808 and TS9 at will, altho i can generally hear fuck all difference, so not a deal breaker.

The bass is actually programmed, I decided to use reason 3's clawfinger library, although the original is far less dirty (props to "thedude" for the samples, and also "black neon bob" for being the person who recommended that in the first place!) Of course, still not a sub for real playing, and I need to get a good bass sharpish!

Andy replaced the kick 100% for dead heart IIRC. I bought the samples cheaply from here http://alesisd4.com/ although its probably illegal as I found out after seeing this in the footer-

"Alesisd4.com is not operated in affiliation with Alesis™ Corp. Copyright © 2008 Alesis D4 Drum Samples - The Best Version Ever. All rights reserved "

Bastards.

It was actually a mix of "fusion" and "monster" kick samples from the alesis D4 Andy used in "Dead Heart...".
A combination I actually use in all of my mixes. Haven't been able to make it sound as good of course :).

The riff under "the three will save us from the flood" line is played wrong =(. Vocals are really off in delivery on a lot of lines - love the vocalist, but he needs to hug the beat better!

Have those fades come in slower, on the verse, too!

Aside from little editing bits and tightening things up this kicks ass man! Can't wait to get into the solo!

This mix is fucking BR00TAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You did a fucking awesome job! I agree the vocalist is amazing but doesn't deliver the goods in time. Any chance of sharing that marshall cab impulse and 5150 settings?

Andy replaced the kick 100% for dead heart IIRC. I bought the samples cheaply from here http://alesisd4.com/ although its probably illegal as I found out after seeing this in the footer-

"Alesisd4.com is not operated in affiliation with Alesis™ Corp. Copyright © 2008 Alesis D4 Drum Samples - The Best Version Ever. All rights reserved "

Bastards.

What snare sample did you use? Any more info on making the drums that punchy without sounding overcompressed?

Totally agree Kev, ive never got it sitting with another kick. I know those samples were said to be used on The Gathering too :

Yeh its strange... maybe its a red herring haha :lol:

Congratulations Kev!!!! You did an awesome job!!! I wouldn't have guessed that guitars are 5150!!!
Please,share the impulse and the guitar process...

Cheers Teddyman. Impulse is here:

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1206505/shared/57 C 12_02.wav

I take no credit for that tho, all splatt88's good work!

sounds really good dude, well done

Thankyou Zack :kickass:

The riff under "the three will save us from the flood" line is played wrong =(. Vocals are really off in delivery on a lot of lines - love the vocalist, but he needs to hug the beat better!

Have those fades come in slower, on the verse, too!

Aside from little editing bits and tightening things up this kicks ass man! Can't wait to get into the solo!

Ta Jeff, I think I should have tweaked the fades a bit better in hindsight :oops:

This mix is fucking BR00TAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You did a fucking awesome job! I agree the vocalist is amazing but doesn't deliver the goods in time. Any chance of sharing that marshall cab impulse and 5150 settings?

Thanksfor listening Greg, impulse is above and 5150 settings were a little further back in the thred, let me know if you want more details. I do believe the 5150's EQ settings were fairly irrelevant.

:OMG: Very nice!!! That guitar tone is fucking monstrous.

Thanks Brett!

ha, nice kev!!! vox are great!!!

Ta genius, glad to see it made its way to san fran!

WOW! :OMG: For a cover, it is the best i have heard on here, fantastic job Kev!

Much appreciated dude!

nice job on this!:headbang:

Thanks for checkin in' purify :headbang:

What snare sample did you use? Any more info on making the drums that punchy without sounding overcompressed?

The main trick for the snare Greg is a transient designer packing it in about 10DB in the midrange. (might have even gone a touch over board with this!) Everything else is pretty meat & potatoes I think.