The Royal Carnage Top 10 of 2002

The Nile is good and so is Sham Mirrors. Wreath is one of my all time favorite Opeth songs but the rest of Deliverance is kinda mediocre.

this is a really terrible list

how is the mantle not even on there

I tried listening to Deliverance last night. fucking BORING. Master's Apprentices was alright. guess I wasn't in the mood.

SUPER boring, dude. masters apprentice is one of the weakest tracks on that album, in my opinion. the album starts off with some intense/heavy shit, but it immediately gets lame with all of the repetition. a fair judgement is a great song, but i can barely listen to that shit nowadays.

arcturus sucks, btw

LMI is still one of the most EIIWIRDSS albums ever. I usually stay away from that fourth album, though I suppose it has its moments. Hestnaes was never meant to be a lead vocalist.

SUPER boring, dude. masters apprentice is one of the weakest tracks on that album, in my opinion. the album starts off with some intense/heavy shit, but it immediately gets lame with all of the repetition. a fair judgement is a great song, but i can barely listen to that shit nowadays.

arcturus sucks, btw

it does not cease to amaze how much tastes change in the better part of a decade. if not for Opeth, not only would I not be posting here right now, but I wouldn't likely have discovered 95% of what I listen to today.

they were THE band that broke me in to harsh vocals, non-standard song structures (ok, I guess Tool was first), the whole deal. and now? can't be bothered listening to more than an odd song here and there.

Just downloaded Aspera Hiems Symfonia and Written in Waters. Two albums I haven't heard in far too long.

it does not cease to amaze how much tastes change in the better part of a decade. if not for Opeth, not only would I not be posting here right now, but I wouldn't likely have discovered 95% of what I listen to today.

they were THE band that broke me in to harsh vocals, non-standard song structures (ok, I guess Tool was first), the whole deal. and now? can't be bothered listening to more than an odd song here and there.

Just downloaded Aspera Hiems Symfonia and Written in Waters. Two albums I haven't heard in far too long.

don't get me wrong- i used to be an opeth fanboy and i still have massive respect for that band/man. it just doesnt stimulate my musical dong anymore. orchid is obviously one of the best 10 metal albums ever (IMO).

just never got into arcturus... there are some cool things going on with the first album but i will admit i haven't listened to them for at least 5 years. i'll give their stuff another spin to see where i stand.

one band that has aged extremely well with me- DISSECTIONNNNNN
i had the somberlain in my car and it was the only album i listened to for like two straight weeks. what a fucking masterpiece. and dont get me started on sotlb. unearthly atmosphere, far more legitimate than attempts from a million other black/death bands.

i mean, you all remember how much of a vintersorg fanboy i was. i almost cant stand to listen to his stuff anymore. the new borknagar album is TERRIBLE but I know I would have ate that shit up 5 years ago. musical tastes just change i guess. solens rotter is pretty good though, especially if you compare it to spiral generator or the focusing blur. odemarkens son will always have a spot in my heart.

also- the jester race never got old for me.

Tastes are a fickle, strange and barely even tangible thing. To try to dissect and discuss them is futile, or so it seems to me.

For example, I enjoy the fuck out of Dissection when I hear them, but NEVER EVER get an urge to put the albums on. No idea why. Just isn't what I'm looking for in music, doesn't really inspire me or whatever. Vintersorg and Borknagar for the most part always sounded pretty weak to me, (aside from Till Fjalls and Odemarkens Son which I haven't heard since you were raving about them on here 5+ years ago)

Orchid, however, there we can agree! To listen to that and then to Deliverance and hear what became of such a genius songwriter and such great chemistry (with the old lineup) ... to see it devolve into mind-numbing repetition of ideas that never had much merit to begin with? Fuck.

BREAKING NEWS:

just looked up vintersorg on wikipedia and i noticed that he is coming out with a new album. all swedish lyrics WITH a foresty album cover. actually pretty excited to see what its like. hopefully the folk metal revival.

"jordpuls"

mmm...."The Sham Mirrors" is so good.
I'm trying to blow a speaker or two right now with it