The Royal Carnage Top 10 of 2002

I still haven't heard that In Flames album, with all the negative hype around UM I sort of want to buy it out of curiosity, perhaps of the morbid variety. ;)

The Sham Mirrors is an awesome album, but in my personal top 10 from 2002 Jerry Cantrell's Degradation Trip vols. 1 & 2 and Opeth's Deliverance place above Arcturus.

NAD said:
I still haven't heard that In Flames album, with all the negative hype around UM

Gosh - if I were to follow those rules, I wouldn't own half the albums or movies in my collection!

I definitely think that Metallica sold out at Load, and the album itself was poor. However, although I agree that IF sold out at R2R, it's actually a really good album! Just don't compare it to Jester Race!

Anyway, not trying to justify it or anything....each to their own, and the world goes round. :)

NAD said:
I still haven't heard that In Flames album, with all the negative hype around UM I sort of want to buy it out of curiosity, perhaps of the morbid variety. ;)

The Sham Mirrors is an awesome album, but in my personal top 10 from 2002 Jerry Cantrell's Degradation Trip vols. 1 & 2 and Opeth's Deliverance place above Arcturus.

Vol. 1 & 2?? What is this?

@Papa Josh: Degradation Trip vols. 1 & 2 is how it was SUPPOSED to be released the first time, but Roadrunner chickened out because they didn't want a new artist debuting with a double album. Anyhow, it has 8 extra songs, new artwork, and a different song order across two CDs. It fully realizes Jerry's vision for the album, and it is absolutely PERFECT. I always thought that something was lacking with the original release, but the double-CD version fills any gap that may have been there.

@JayKeeley: I didn't avoid R2R because of all the negative hype, honestly I just haven't come across it yet. Also I just bought my first In Flames album about 6 months ago so I'm not exactly a diehard fan. :D

NAD said:
@Papa Josh: Degradation Trip vols. 1 & 2 is how it was SUPPOSED to be released the first time, but Roadrunner chickened out because they didn't want a new artist debuting with a double album. Anyhow, it has 8 extra songs, new artwork, and a different song order across two CDs. It fully realizes Jerry's vision for the album, and it is absolutely PERFECT. I always thought that something was lacking with the original release, but the double-CD version fills any gap that may have been there.

@JayKeeley: I didn't avoid R2R because of all the negative hype, honestly I just haven't come across it yet. Also I just bought my first In Flames album about 6 months ago so I'm not exactly a diehard fan. :D

So where can I find these?

Since I decided I needed a sick day today, I clearly have nothing better to do than compile our cumulative Top 10 for the year 2002. Without further ado...

10. Blind Guardian - A Night At The Opera
09. Satyricon - Volcano
08. Soilwork - Natural Born Chaos
07. Dark Tranquillity - Damage Done
04. (tie) In Flames - Reroute To Remain
04. (tie) Opeth - Deliverance
04. (tie) Nile - In Their Darkened Shrines
03. Symphony X - The Odyssey
02. Arch Enemy - Wages Of Sin
[size=+2]01. Arcturus - The Sham Mirrors[/size]
Am I correct to assume that 0 of these are still listened to? I still like that Nile and never really cared for any of the others anyway, but what do the rest of you think?

I haven't listen to any of those albums in ages. My intake has been limited to Neurosis/Minsk since the beginning of December. I really need to move on to something else. Whatever became of Gugs, or more importantly, his collection?

I've never seen a list posted anywhere on RC, or UM for that matter, that contained so many albums I actually own.

Heh, I've since sold the Soilwork, Symphony X and Nile albums, but I still own the other 7 on that list.

I don't listen to a single damn one of these albums but I think I'm going to re-download the Arcturus. I don't think something like that would have made an impact on me back then. Any of their other albums I should be going for?

edit: as for Deliverance, I always used to skip Wreath (isn't that the first track?)
I loved that album, it was my 2nd Opeth album after BWP. But once I got into the first 4, it was more or less shelved. Haven't heard it in years now. I might have to get out some of that old stuff for the car on the way to work. Its all of a 5 minute drive. Thats what, half an Opeth track?

I broke ol' Deliverance out last week and listened to it a few times. It was the first *new* Opeth album I purchased as I got into them just after the release of BWP. I thought it a was a pretty good album. "Master's Apprentices" is a great track

That Arcturus is a'ight, and Nile. Haven't listened to either in aaaaaaages, though. Maybe I'll put on Nile, after this Swedish pop album is over.

I actually have that Nile album in a somewhat regular rotation, and "Fuel For Hatred" off of Volcano is on a playlist.. though I pretty much hated half the albums on that list when they came out (I'm looking at you Soilwork and In Flames)

NBC is the only disc i listen to off that list.
how the heck did Mark rate that AE his second fave disc?!?!

i have to repost this disc on FB for his now Phish loving ass.