The sad state of Dio

Dude, I know how you feel. I went through the same thing hearing Geoff Tate on "Live Evolution" - while it's a damn fine concert, it shows he wasn't what he used to be.

That was until seeing MCI + II live - Tate completely took us by storm, singing like the old times and hitting the high notes that made him famous.

In Dio's case, I'd tend to believe "he had a cold" story - nothing can fuck up your voice worse than that. From sources who've seen him in the past few years, say he's still singing as good as ever.

I find it hard to believe they wouldn't have him recut a lot of the vocals in studio.

I've found it very hard to listen to Tate after Empire...

I am in the middle of the road on this one. I saw Ronnie a few years back and he sounded good, but he played it safe. He would pick and choose when to go for higher notes. He never once sang a "bad" note and was still at his age better than most live performances you get these days, but age is taking a bit of a toll on him. I think he is still very good, but not great.

Bryant

I have Evil or Divine and Holy diver DVD and I think they are both great. There are a few times where he can't sing a high note or as powerful as on the studio albums and his voice is dimmer. But all in all very good performances!
Shame on the night, Heaven and Hell, Gates of Babylon are memorable from Holy diver DVD.
I think Killing the dragon and Fever dreams are superior to the album version on Evil or divine.

Saw him in 2006(Copenhagen) and 2004(Wacken) and he ruled! Gonna se Heaven and hell at Sweden Rock next year.

Check out this video from the Wacken show:

YouTube - DIO - 'Sign Of The Southern Cross/Stargazer'

I'd have to disagree Sixx. I saw Halford live last year with Priest and he was brilliant. He sounded much better than on their recent DVD and was able to belt out painkiller some 15+ songs in with no trouble.

He also sounded awesome on Hellrider - put that song on right after listening to Painkiller. Still the same ol' Halford.

Haven't seen the DVD (mine didn't come with one... those cheap-). I've heard a few of their recent shows and he still wasn't bad by any means, but still "rough" in a few areas.

He's still sounding great considering he's over 50. I heard a few boot's from his solo days and he sounded incredible.

I think Pounding was talking about Halford ;) He's 55 years old.

:err: :oops: Man did I put my foot in my mouth or what? I have to improve my reading skills.

NP: Crescent Shield - 'Slaves To The Metal Horde'