The secret to Tool's "Lateralus"

That Something Aweful article about Tool was really weak. I expected better damnit!

SunlapseVertigo said:
maybe they wanted people to figure it out themselves.

how many people have a copy of cool edit pro at home so that they can spend all their time digitally editing their tool cds? are tool the band of the patricians now?

I'm a huge Tool fan, as they were the band that got my into metal in the first place and it doesn't surprise me that the band would do something like that (if, it does indeed work). Tool likes to mindfuck their audience more than any other band I know. Just look at some of things they've done; the first two that come to my mind are the April Fool's jokes perpetuated by their official website, and the lachrymology legend. There are some pretty deep things hidden on their other works as well (the song Forty Six And Two comes to mind; one could spend pages deconstructing the Jungian principles presented in there). As for it, or the fans who discovered it being sad, it depends on how you look at it. Is it anymore sad then, say, the black metal subculture (which I feel is far more "sad", but perhaps you don't)? It's all about perspective.

Also (this is incredibly important), everything regarding Tool, as heliotrope pointed out, must be taken with a grain of salt. Perhaps there is nothing to this at all. But still...it makes you wonder.

It's been a while since I've listened to Tool, and I own all their releases (I used to be one Kundalini Yoga class away from being a deluded fanboy) but this certainly isn't the only "theory" on the meaning of Lateralus.

Just take a look at http://toolshed.down.net and check out the discussion section...it's like a haven for delusional, pseudo intellectuals who think they're cooler than everyone cause they read a book on Sacred Geometry.

Don't ever ask a Tool fanboy the meaning behind the "secret message" in their cover of Led Zeppelin's No Quarter...they'll link it to the Kennedy assasination, the second coming of Jesus and Kurt Cobain's suicide.

:Smug:

danny talked about the fibonacci sequence at the drum clinic i went to in philly. it was quite interesting. i'll have to try that shit out on the cd.

All right, I know a lot of you think this is all going too far, but if you listen to the album in this sequence, you'll realize that it makes sense. Both musically and lyrically, the songs flow together in a much stronger way than they do with the original tracklisting. If you know anything about Tool, you know they are obsessed with this type of thing (the Fibonacci sequence, spirals, etc.), and I think it makes perfect sense that they would do something like this. And whether they did it intentionally or not, the album is simply more enjoyable in this sequence than in the original sequence, and for that alone it's worth it to give it a shot.

Some people take it too seriously, sure, but some don't take it seriously enough.

The end.

Smitty said:
Tool is fucking great.

amen, brother.......they truly are the best band on the planet, and this proves it.....there's so much beyond the music...it astounds me....i'm speechless after reading that.....

the alumnus said:
how many people have a copy of cool edit pro at home so that they can spend all their time digitally editing their tool cds? are tool the band of the patricians now?
did you read my post? they wanted people like the one above in the first post to have to figure out on their own. of course very little are gonna bother trying to find something, but its for the few that try.