The "Should I get a second job?" Thread

Should I get a second job?

• Yes

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • No

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Why would you want to give up free weekends?

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • You're an over-achiever

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Ozzman

Melted by feels
Sep 17, 2006
In My Kingdom Cold
Well, I've been thinking about obtaining a second job on the weekends (fuck working weeknights since I have an 8:30-5 job M-F). This job would most likely be in food service bussing tables or something at a major restaurant like Applebee's or some shit.

Having my weekends free is nice since school got out, but I feel weird not working on weekends since that's what I did through high school and part of college.

Any and all input is welcome, especially if you've worked in this industry before.

See I never understood that. Maybe it's just me and thinking I should be paid decent if I do a good job or whatever but. Why not just find a better paying job that works you more instead of working two jobs?

See I never understood that. Maybe it's just me and thinking I should be paid decent if I do a good job or whatever but. Why not just find a better paying job that works you more instead of working two jobs?

Easier said than done

Not only that, I signed a year contract at my current full-time job. Technically, according to the contract, I could leave if I wanted to, but I would really feel like an asshole leaving after only being employed full time for 3 months (I was employed as an intern for the year leading up to my FT employment). Not only that, it's decent money and most positions I would want would probably pay less than what I'm getting paid now (if I were to go be a bank teller, for example). I'm guaranteed 40K this year and not many recent college grads nab high paying jobs like that.

Also, I'd like to experience what it's like working in the restaurant industry. I've heard horror stories about it, but I'd like to really see how it is. Not only that, I like to keep busy when I'm able to do so.

I'm weird when it comes to shit like this.

Also, I'm starting to cut back going out at night. I would only want to work Saturdays and part of Sundays since I would want one night to be able to go out during the weekend (Friday). The last time I applied for shit like this, I put down weekends exclusively and no one called me back. This was 2 years ago though with no experience in the industry. I suppose they might make an exception now, but if I do get called for an interview (for bussing tables, wtf?), I hope they don't pull the 'You're overqualified for this position' bullshit. I don't care how much it is, I just want the fucking money.

server-clusters.jpg

Being a server is too easy

Or retirement.

True, but the money I would make from working weekends would most likely be spending money. The money I make from my FT job is going towards retirement. Frankly though, I have more money in my bank account than most 35 year olds do just because of how much I've saved over the years.

Personnaly I'm perfectly happy working 5 days a week. I enjoy my week-ends way too much to give up that time. I can do a lot of fun things during that time. Sports, do stuff with friends, go out, watch movies, read...

I'd have to find a pretty good job to convince me to work on week-ends. I certainly wouldn't waste my time with anything that's below 20$/h because that free time is worth at least that to me.

That's a good point too. I mean, I guess I'm not yet used to not having anything to do on Saturdays and Sundays. From high school until the end of college, I always had things going on during the weekends, whether it was work, meetings, projects, homework, trying to have a social life, whatever. I guess since most of that is gone, the weird feeling of being a lazy piece of shit takes over.

I'm probably going to get a job like this eventually if I decide to go to law school. I'll want to quit the job I have now and do something part time just to keep some cash flow going while I study for the dreaded LSAT.

I think the food service industry is hard work, which is fine if you're willing to do it. I have also heard there is a lot of drugs in the culture of the foodservice industry. Not sure if it is more prevalent in private restauraunts and hotels than in chains, though.

Or retirement.

I prefer to enjoy my time now instead of working hard hoping that I'll enjoy my retirement later. Why not enjoy both. Have fun now and plan carefully for later in life. Who knows what can happen...I could work hard 7 days a week to get a lot of money to enjoy my retirement and then die at 42 in a car accident and I end up with a lot of money in the bank that my succession will enjoy but that I will never get to enjoy myself.

I think the food service industry is hard work, which is fine if you're willing to do it. I have also heard there is a lot of drugs in the culture of the foodservice industry. Not sure if it is more prevalent in private restauraunts and hotels than in chains, though.

I think it's mainly pot, though.