The "Should I get a second job?" Thread

Should I get a second job?

• Yes

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • No

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Why would you want to give up free weekends?

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • You're an over-achiever

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mo' money > No money

Quality > Quantity

see where I'm going here?
With the extra money you get from this job, when you start to get some weekend's free, you can splash that extra cash and have some seriously good times, rather than a lot of quite good times.

Well it's worth giving it a shot right? Then if you don't think you can keep it up, just stop. My sister does some waitressing at a pub whenever she's home from uni, it takes up a fair bit of her weekends and tires her out sometimes, but if you want some quick extra cash, it's a pretty good way of getting it.

I don't think it's a problem of being able to keep up with the workload as I don't really have anything to do on weekends other than drink, play bass and listen to metal. If my boss really wants me to pursue taking Level I of the CFA exam (which he really, really does), then I can't see pursuing this for longer than 4 months actually, since I need about 3-4 months to study for the fucking exam.

I live with my folks for the time being, mainly because I don't see any logic in getting an apartment when I want to go back to school within the next 18-24 months. I figured I could save the money and keep it for an apartment down AT school while I'm getting my J.D.

So, all I really pay for is:
Credit card (Gas, clothing, etc)
Car Insurance
Health insurance copays
The occasional car payment to my dad
Clothes
Booze
etc

I don't pay rent, either. Money isn't the issue, really, but having a little extra spending cash would be nice since I save most of what I make.

I'm going to second the idea of getting a job as a server. It's actually not that bad. I never wanted to do it because I didn't want to interact with customers, but eventually a friend convinced me to do it and it was actually all right. The money is great (my friend used to go home with $400 cash in his pocket on good nights). And you're sure to get a job, since restaurants always need servers.

I say yes, I myself have been looking for another job - too bad the place I was getting ready to apply to is managed by the guy fucking my ex girlfriend.

I need death in my life more than ever right now.

I say yes, I myself have been looking for another job - too bad the place I was getting ready to apply to is managed by the guy fucking my ex girlfriend.

I need tr00 black metvl in my life more than ever right now.

Seriously though, it'll be alright in a few weeks [/mommy]

How often did you work?

I mean, would restaurants be willing to train someone to work on weekends exclusively?

Oh yeah. I worked maybe four days a week, but restaurants (obviously) do most of their business on the weekends, so I'm sure most would hire a weekend guy. They give the best shifts / sections to the best people, though, so at first I suppose they'd have you on in the day a lot, or put you in the lower traffic areas. Really, it's all just sales. If you get people to buy more stuff (which is pretty easy), you'll bring in more money, so they'll start setting you up to get more customers, which means more money in your pocket.

My friend who I told you about who'd make like $400 in a good night, he was great at that shit. We worked at a Pizzeria Uno, where there was full bar and twelve page menu. He'd just sell his ass off. Constanly recommending the most expensive apps, meals, deserts, add-ons (like, "would you like to add shrimp to that steak?" you don't tell them it's $5 more). He'd sell drinks like crazy, too. He thought up all these twisrs on the shirley temple, so he was even selling shit from the bar for kids and people who weren't drinking alchohol. Eventually they started giving him the entire bar / smoking section on Friday and Saturday nights, and he'd just clean up. Motherfucker had has own car and an apartment by 19. All you have to do is get to know people just a little bit, be a little weird and talk about how great everything is.

Why not see if you can be a bartender? That would be a lot cooler than being a server.

Obviously, but I have zero experience making drinks beyond shit like jack and coke. I suppose if they stick me with someone for training, I would learn it pretty quickly, but whatever.

Oh yeah. I worked maybe four days a week, but restaurants (obviously) do most of their business on the weekends, so I'm sure most would hire a weekend guy. They give the best shifts / sections to the best people, though, so at first I suppose they'd have you on in the day a lot, or put you in the lower traffic areas. Really, it's all just sales. If you get people to buy more stuff (which is pretty easy), you'll bring in more money, so they'll start setting you up to get more customers, which means more money in your pocket.

My friend who I told you about who'd make like $400 in a good night, he was great at that shit. We worked at a Pizzeria Uno, where there was full bar and twelve page menu. He'd just sell his ass off. Constanly recommending the most expensive apps, meals, deserts, add-ons (like, "would you like to add shrimp to that steak?" you don't tell them it's $5 more). He'd sell drinks like crazy, too. He thought up all these twisrs on the shirley temple, so he was even selling shit from the bar for kids and people who weren't drinking alchohol. Eventually they started giving him the entire bar / smoking section on Friday and Saturday nights, and he'd just clean up. Motherfucker had has own car and an apartment by 19. All you have to do is get to know people just a little bit, be a little weird and talk about how great everything is.

Yeah, some people really have a knack for selling. It's all about selling yourself, really. I'll think about it. It's worth a shot.

Though, I'm probably being a bit impulsive like I always am, but who knows.