the St Anger thread

What are your 3 favourite songs from St Anger?

• Total voters
Well I don't know what "having balls" has got to do with liking or not liking St.Anger. But I just don't like it. The sound/mix is awful - what is with that snare Lars? And Hetfields voice - he was never the most accomplished vocalist, but his voice is just plain awful - he sounded better on Kill 'em All when he was barely out of puberty.

I have to disagree there on one point Prisoner, I think James is a very good vocalist, his work on the black album onwards is amazing! It wasnt too bad in the thrashier days either :) (Its AWFUL on St. Anger though)

Yep I know what you mean, WTF is putting it nicely as my reaction to the album :)

I wasn't talking about guitar playing ability. James is a good guitarist, and a good vocalist. But on St.Anger, among other things, his voice is terrible. Maybe it was what they were aiming for, but I am really amazed that they released it sounding the way it is, they sound like a garage band, and not a very good at that. I wonder how much influence Bob Rock has had on this record? Bob Rock should have been dropped after the Black album.

I don't agree... Bob is an awesome producer. He gave them the thick, clear sound that made them "famous" and now he's done the opposite, re-inventing the sound as the band had wanted to do.

Don't blame any faults on him, if the band didn't like it, they would not have released it.

In many ways, the production on St Anger is what mainstream metal need. You listen to bands like Stained, Creed, Linkin Park.. they're modertaly talented bands sounding 'perfect'. You can through Avril in there too. It's just wrong.

To be honest, todays commercial metal was quickly becoming like the glam era of the 80's again, where it was all production and no substance. What Bob Rock and Metallica have tried to do is remove all the fluff from radio-friendly hard-rock and metal, to try and turn the focus back onto the songs.
It's just a bummer the songs aren't really their on St Anger.

Thats a great point Sydo.

I think St Anger is full of great material, and some great songs. The songs that aren't that good have good potential but suffer from structure. The production still doesn't bother me at all. The vocals are good, and I like the idea of what they did with the drum sound, but it could sound a little better.

I like St Anger. I have no problem with it whatsoever - I've even gotten used to the production, and Lars's's drum sound is now part of the album and it wouldn't sound right without it!

Best album of the year? No. Third-best album of the year? Definitely so far.

I quite like it too, but I think a few songs would be better if chopped and changed, and while I don't mind the drum sound, it could be fixed up just a little. :)

I haven't bought that many albums this year, so I don't know where it will rank in for me. I ordered the new Grave Digger from Metal Mayhem today though! :headbang:

I really don't notice that any of the songs are long. And all the complaits about the production miss me totally, hell Im sure as shit most of you own or have heard alot fucking worse, it adds to the sound

Ok, after listning to the album several times and a viewing of the dvd with my mates, with a good dvd/sterio setup and a case of beer.
I have come to the conclusing that the album rules !
Its the best album of the year by far.

to be honest its actually the dvd version of most of the songs that i like the best.
I might try to record the audio onto a cd and listen to that instead