The story of Still Life...

Here's the skeleton to the story:

1) some guy is ostracized from a village (or town) He is "outcast with dogmas forged
below" and viewed as an "ungodly freak, defiler." After 15 years he returns to find melinda
"melinda is the reason why I've come. (the moor)

2) He's back in search of melinda "red eyes probe the scene......searing beams tracking you
down" and finally finds her ("the gleam of her eyes, in the moment she knew") (godhead's
lament)

3) They take a moment out and find solace in the forest in each other's comfort
(benighted)

4) He is back in a place where he has been outcast. But the town is brooding and
suspicious and on his track. ("their scorn behind your back.....immemorial fire in their
eyes....the council of the cross must have sense my coming") He is nearly captured but
escapes. ("In palor escape from the end......Taken away from stifling grace, and saved
from the past ")

5) Our protagonist has come back for melinda in the hope that they would steal away from
the town together ("I returned for you in great dismay, come with me far away to stay").
To his horror he finds out melinda is married or engaged to marry someone else but is still
in love with our protagonist. ("she had sworn her vows to another.....still i plot to have her
back.......my promise is made but my heart is thine") . She agrees to leave with him. (face
of melinda)

6) Things are great, a "hybernal dream." But melinda is captured ("no longer by my
side.....ripped from my embrace"), and she is executed. ("Red line round her neck, met the
earth in silence, white faced, haggard grin, the serenity painted death")

7) our protagonist is ultimately captured and executed also ("the noose is tied, murmur
through the crowd"). Thus the song White cluster and the grim end that sounds like the
ending of a record/music/life and the tragic symbolism captured in that vague static.

By Frayed Ends at my board. (Poetry section page 2).

http://www.xsorbit1.com/users/Stigma/index.cgi

By the way, I think it's a great story! My fav album with a story of all time!

Originally posted by Children of Flames
Here's the skeleton to the story:

1) some guy is ostracized from a village (or town) He is "outcast with dogmas forged
below" and viewed as an "ungodly freak, defiler." After 15 years he returns to find melinda
"melinda is the reason why I've come. (the moor)

2) He's back in search of melinda "red eyes probe the scene......searing beams tracking you
down" and finally finds her ("the gleam of her eyes, in the moment she knew") (godhead's
lament)

3) They take a moment out and find solace in the forest in each other's comfort
(benighted)

4) He is back in a place where he has been outcast. But the town is brooding and
suspicious and on his track. ("their scorn behind your back.....immemorial fire in their
eyes....the council of the cross must have sense my coming") He is nearly captured but
escapes. ("In palor escape from the end......Taken away from stifling grace, and saved
from the past ")

5) Our protagonist has come back for melinda in the hope that they would steal away from
the town together ("I returned for you in great dismay, come with me far away to stay").
To his horror he finds out melinda is married or engaged to marry someone else but is still
in love with our protagonist. ("she had sworn her vows to another.....still i plot to have her
back.......my promise is made but my heart is thine") . She agrees to leave with him. (face
of melinda)

6) Things are great, a "hybernal dream." But melinda is captured ("no longer by my
side.....ripped from my embrace"), and she is executed. ("Red line round her neck, met the
earth in silence, white faced, haggard grin, the serenity painted death")

7) our protagonist is ultimately captured and executed also ("the noose is tied, murmur
through the crowd"). Thus the song White cluster and the grim end that sounds like the
ending of a record/music/life and the tragic symbolism captured in that vague static.

By Frayed Ends at my board. (Poetry section page 2).

http://www.xsorbit1.com/users/Stigma/index.cgi

Omfg!! that dude totally ripped me off. lol.
Here's the original post and thread written almost a year ago.
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3903

Though this is a petty offense, I strongly feel that plagiarism is the worst crime in the information age. People should learn to give credit where it is due.

Reactions: fainéant
Originally posted by E V I L

Omfg!! that dude totally ripped me off. lol.
Here's the original post and thread written almost a year ago.
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3903

Though this is a petty offense, I strongly feel that plagiarism is the worst crime in the information age. People should learn to give credit where it is due.

ah so you wrote it, but he didn't claim it as his own work. Read the thread at my board and you'll see!
Frayed is a good guy! ;)

Originally posted by Lakestream
I don't think she was about to marry someone else.... I think she's a nun =) (sworn her vows to god)...and the star of this story is probably an albino

In fact, the first two verses of Face Of Melinda quite clearly portray Melinda at her wedding IMO. "By the turnstile beckons..." "Words would falter to atone..." "Sworn her vows to ANOTHER..." I needed a dictionary though to really get it being the Finn I am. ;)

I feel that she became a nun aswell. 'a harlot of god upon the earth'... 'swore her vows to another'... it can apply to nunhood. I'm sure if it was another guy, our lil narrator would find a way to kick his ass in the story :)

Before the main character is captured to be executed, he sees Melinda dead and is enraged. He starts killing out of rage and madness. "Each and every one would die at my hands, Choking in warm ponds of blood."

I wonder if there's some influence there from The Dark Tower pt. 4: The Wizard and Glass, by Stephen King. After being exiled from his home town, Roland meets a chick in his new town who is promised via arranged marriage to another (the town's mayor, I believe). Still, the two fall in love and proceed to get it on until the town finds out and executes her.

Interesting concept. I was hoping someone would explain it to me because I'm an idiot when it comes to deciphering lyrics, heh.

That's always been my least favorite Opeth album, not sure why, but I just couldn't ever get into it much. I'll have to listen to it again though, now that I know what it's about. Maybe I'll find some new respect for it.

Izzy, you have to listen to Opeth many times before you can actually get the full effect of the music. I never used to like MAYH (except I loved Epilogue) until I took the time to listen to it closely.

This discussion just shows how diverse the story really is. I like it how there are basic guidelines, but everyone can find something of their own in it.

Izzy, if you want to take the time to read the story, you'd notice that especially on the last couple songs, the music really goes hand in hand with what our "hero" is going through...

Originally posted by Ibsen
Izzy, you have to listen to Opeth many times before you can actually get the full effect of the music. I never used to like MAYH (except I loved Epilogue) until I took the time to listen to it closely.

Actually for me I don't have to listen to it many times to get into it. I loved every other album from the start. And I tried listening to Still Life many times, still couldn't get into it as much. It just doesn't compare to other albums, IMO.

I can see why I suppose. But the other night I was listening to it before I went to bed, and it really sank through to me... more than any other time. The way the solos entwine with the song in Serenity Painted Death had me mesmerized... and Benighted... those layers and layers of guitar, haha.