the tea party?

Katatonic

Not My Own
Sep 10, 2001
Sydney
who are they? what do they play like? ive heard of them on here before, and i want to buy the album if theyre good. the album has just come into my sanity shop, and its cheaper than the katatonia album.

the tea party RULE!

the play alternative rock type stuff. Their earlier albums have some middle eastern instruments which sound cool. I would reccomend the albums "the edges of twilight" or "transmission"

check out these songs:
psychopomp
the bazaar
fire in the head
the bazaar
save me
temptation
chimera
sister awake
walking wounded

they have quite a good range of songs so check all these out.

I'll second Bleed For Me - The Tea Party are awesome. And if I were to have only one album - Edges of Twilight. The DVD is great too - 14 videos.

I'll add a few more songs to the list:

Samsara
Inanna

Fire In The Head is still my favorite - and it was incredible live.

Tea Party are a fairly good band for mine. Plenty of variety and experimentation going on. I especially like some of the eastern instruments they use.

The only sour point I could make about this band is the fact that most of their songs are nicely produced, 4 minute radio friendly numbers.

They could be so much more if they only didn't try and pack so much into one song and draw out some of the nicely arranged instrumental components.

What?? Do they think their listeners don't have any patience??

Heard nasty stuff about Jeff Martin offering my friend heroin when he was in my hometown years ago..

I like their old stuff (Edges of Twilight especially).. but Transmission seems to be full of 2-minute wonders, and their videos started to look a lot like NIN's after a while.

I suppose being exposed to them since the beginning changes your opinon (and you get to hear them being overplayed.........)

The TEA PARTY are definitely worth checking out!!!

They appeal to fans of Katatonia, Anathema, Dead Can Dance, Led Zeppelin, Opeth, etc.

Musically, after Opeth, Jeff Marin (singer, guitarist, keyboards, songwriter) is the most talent fellow in the world (just after Mikael, of course)!!

They have 5 full length albums, an acoustic EP & a "best of".

Each album is radically different than the previous release, yet still a Tea Party record.
The first was blues/folk metal; the 2nd was "Eastern/Arabic" metal (their BEST!); the 3rd was ANGRY heavy rock with a heavy industrial feel (but not TOO industrial a la Nine Ince Nails); the 4th was a combo of the previous three; the latest release is more of a streamlined 'heavy rock' release with, again, elements of all the other releases.

Seriously, check this band out!!!

The songs to D/L are:
"Fire in the Head"
"The Bazaar"
"Psychopomp"
"Walking Wounded"
"Master & the Marghuerita"

I haved Edges of Twilight and Transmission and play them both very loud often. harsh sound, to be sure, but they use a lot of instruments and sound very eastern much of the time. think nile, but not death metal..

-iz

The Tea Party = great band, one of my favourites

They might be overplayed but I didn't have the impression that they sold out. I was in Toronto two years ago, went into four or five big stores and didn't see any Tea Party merchandise, no T-Shirts, no posters...nothing.

For those who have absolutely no clue...

1st album: Splendor Solis = strong blues, Doors/Led Zep. influences
2st album: The Edges Of Twilight = lots of exotic instruments, best album by far, methinks
3rd album: Transmission = comparatively heavy&dark with some electronica
4th album: Triptych (kind of a cross between the first three, relatively mellow)
5th album: The Interzone Mantras = rock'n roll

You want the dirt? Friend was sitting in a restaurant, and the Tea Party were there (their pic is on the wall, signed, alongside the Odds and Elton John, etc) - Jeff Martin came out of the bathroom and said something to the effect: "I just did heroin in the bathroom. You want some?"

But that's just what I heard...... (I'll ask her again next time I see her)