The "Those of us who frequent this forum" thread

Hubster

Oct 29, 2003
Bondi Australia
As a slight change of the way things go around here, I thought I would post something off the track.

Given we "all live in the same forum", I think we could make a "non-philosophical" thread (just the one), a somewhat (gasp!) friendly thread. Throw whatever you feel like in here. Photos of you, where you live, places you've enjoyed being, company of people you've enjoyed, artwork you've created. A somewhat tiny representation of the group of us who frequent this board.

This thread is to be a somewhat small scale celebration of the small group which is us, who frequent this forum and enjoy intelligent discussion, but who also know how to converse on an easier scale too.

:)

So, I'm going to start off this thread on something which I've been talking about a little in another thread: where I live.

I took the below photos this afternoon just for this thread. They are simply "a nice afternoon in my area", and snaps of what I see everyday when I go for a walk. These pics are the reasons why I consider myself lucky to live where I live, even though the rent is ridiculous.

(Note to moderators: I have scaled these down for ease of loading. I don't condone filling this forum up with this sort of thing, as it's not what it's for. But for those of us who frequent this place, I think it's a nice thing, but if the topic doesn't seem like a decent one for this forum, I'll take no offence at deletion of the topic).

Look forward to your responses and your input folks.

Part of the 1km concourse around Bondi Beach
Rollerbladers, dogs, power-chicks with their iPods on full blast, Japanese tourists in suits on a boiling hot day, you're always bound to see something. For me, it's just a great excuse to throw on the earphones and blast some Burzum or Bach.

walkway_at_bondi.jpg

A typical Bondi sunset
The beach faces the east, so the sun sets behind Bondi. You'll be surprised at just how many people decide to stick around the water.

sunset_over_bondi.jpg

A typical Bondi evening
People have returned from work, and whether in groups or alone, everyone heads to the sea. It's a great way to detox the days work.

bondi_typical_evening.jpg

I never get sick of watching surfers
If I get over my fear of depths, I'll do it someday too. The waves were thick this evening, and the surfers lapped it up.

surfers_at_bondi.jpg

To the south of Bondi
... lies Tamarama (centre in pic) and then Bronte (left in pic). Both are smaller than Bondi, Tamarama also is known as Glam-arama (guess why) and Bronte is more family orientated. PS: Tamarama is also the most dangerous beach in Australia - the rip is a shocker and can shoot you out to sea in no time at all.

tamarama_and_bronte_typical_sunset.jpg

Along the cliffs from Bondi, down to Bronte is a cliff-walk. Fantastic views above the sea all the way, beware of joggers! Awesome in the early morning, and early evening. You never know who you'll bump into, especially on a Sunday as it can get packed with people, iPods, barking dogs and screaming kids.

walk_from_bondi_to_bronte.jpg

So amidst the doom of many of the things in life, things such as the above are what makes it worth being around and sticking things out. They provide my energy, my fun, my relaxation.

Agreed, great idea. Please don't delete, speed or derek. Instead, a possible sticky: "The OFFICIAL non-philosophy for philosophers thread"

for eg. I'd be interested to know the regulars' tastes in metal, and how it fits in with your philosophical standpoint.

@hubster: Granted I've never been to bondi, but by those pics it's got squat on the beaches through tropical north australia. Same length, with bay, rocky cliffs and blue waters to burn, but untouched by man

Brad

The Sex Pistols were before my time, but I got into punk as a teenager and decided to find out about anarchism, just from curiosity about the Pistols song "Anarchy in the UK". I read a few books on it, but mostly formulated my own version of how it should be. I had a few Anarchist punk penpals, but never really met anyone into it (but this was in an isolated part of the Scottish Highlands). It was easy to go from punk into liking metal. One of my penpals sent me a tape of Metallica. Metal has not influenced me either politically or philosophically although a lot of it is compatible that way. Because I don't either want to rule people or to be ruled or ordered around, I am still an anarchist of a kind. (But there are too many irresponsible idiots for this to work in practice obviously.)

The pictures of the beach were nice. I can't post any pictures except my sig cos I don't have the equipment or the know how!

I have no problems with off-topic stuff. If this thread is popular enough, I don't mind making it a sticky.

enjoy.

I also think this is a good idea. Biondi looks wonderful Hubster.

Did you grow up or do you still live in the Highlands of Scotland Norsemaiden? I'm sure you have some stunning pictures of the landscape if either is true.

A little about me now! :)

I'm a Travel Agent here in Winnipeg. I absoulutey love my career, as it's given me the opportunity to not only travel abroad, but to acquire an "International" perspective at looking at the world. My greatest education has come from meeting new people and exploring new destinations. When it comes right down to it, the world is the greatest laboratory around. Not one text book or center for higher learning can ever replace the experiences that I've had. The journey has been enlightening.

As much as I love Metal, my musical and entertainment interests are very diverse. I also enjoy classical, opera, live theatre, and the ballet. I can feel just as comfortable in a suit and tie watching a live symphony as wearing a leather jacket watching a full-blown Metal show. I need that diversion to keep things interesting in order to appreciate different styles and genres.

Food and drink-wise, Carona and Heineken are my beers of choice. Lindemans and any Chilean wine are never too far from my table. But my true passion are East Indian Curry dishes. Really, anything from the Far East and I'll try. However, I have also experimented with Guinea pig in Ecuador and Tarantula in Brazil. As they say, "When in Rome....."

Sports-wise, snorkelling and scuba are two activities that really consume me when I travel. There's something very peaceful, and at the same time, terrifying about being in that 'foreign' environment. So, whenever I get the opportunity, I pack my mask and flippers and go to it. Or if there is a local dive shop, rent the gear for a few hours. It's a great way to clear your mind and get back your perspective from the daily rat-race.

I live in one of the coldest major cities around. And for 6 months out of every year, most Candians tend to hibernate and live on cruise-control.....just waiting for warmer weather. It can be frustrating when you enjoy outdoor summer activities......like golf and tennis (I don't have a lot of use for winter sports, other than Curling). But you take the good with the bad, and somehow press on.

Other than that.....I enjoy coming here and reading everyone's comments and perspectives. We each have our own story to tell, and I for one am more than willing to listen to all opinions that are shared here. It's somewhat like the United Nations. We all come from different backgrounds and have various outlooks on life. But what keeps us.....for the most part.....on the same page.....is not Metal. But our willingness to try and understand one another. That's the first step towards peace. And if it can work here..........

Cheers!
ernaehrung0047dc.gif

2211588lt.jpg

Interesting reply. I am interested in all kinds of details about people, that's why I studied psychology. I lived all my childhood in various parts of Scotland. In Invernesshire (Highlands) between age of 10 to 15. I might be able to get my Dad to send a picture on the computer and then try and transfer it (with help!). The posting rules says "may not post attatchments" so does that mean I can't post any pictures?

It is beautiful in the Highlands. My great grandfather on my paternal side was a victim of the Highland clearances. While he was out playing in the hills as a small child, his family was forced to leave at very short notice and go to Canada. He got left behind, but luckily he was taken into another family.
My great grandfather on my maternal side was the chief woodcutter to the last Tsar of Russia. (Finns living in St Petersburg area). They were rich (he ran the business rather than actually doing the manual work) but had to abandon everything, except what they could carry when the revolution happened and flee to a safer part of Finland. (Karelia was taken over by the Russians). The fact that this happened to my ancestors probably affected my political/philosophical outlook to some extent.

Oooo cool idea for a topic.

Which bit of the highlands are you from? I've spent a lot of time walking and climbing about Scotland and now live here so i may have heard of the place.
There is some really amazing scenery here in this country, some of the best looking in the world.
Here's a photo i took over xmas of the hill behind my girlfriend's house in Perthshire. Its called Carn Liath. The lake was totally frozen and those white things are a flock of swans that were sat on it!
CarnLiath.jpg

As far as my relatives go, i know that my great grandfather on my father's side was with the first British troops to go to the Khyber Pass in Afghanistan. So i guess he's partly to blame for some of the trouble we're in now!

Norsemaiden said:
Interesting reply. I am interested in all kinds of details about people, that's why I studied psychology. I lived all my childhood in various parts of Scotland. In Invernesshire (Highlands) between age of 10 to 15. I might be able to get my Dad to send a picture on the computer and then try and transfer it (with help!). The posting rules says "may not post attatchments" so does that mean I can't post any pictures?

It is beautiful in the Highlands. My great grandfather on my paternal side was a victim of the Highland clearances. While he was out playing in the hills as a small child, his family was forced to leave at very short notice and go to Canada. He got left behind, but luckily he was taken into another family.
My great grandfather on my maternal side was the chief woodcutter to the last Tsar of Russia. (Finns living in St Petersburg area). They were rich (he ran the business rather than actually doing the manual work) but had to abandon everything, except what they could carry when the revolution happened and flee to a safer part of Finland. (Karelia was taken over by the Russians). The fact that this happened to my ancestors probably affected my political/philosophical outlook to some extent.

Winnipeg warrior - did any of your relatives come over to Canada in the Highland clearances? We could be related. (Not that likely of course).

You can post pictures. If you get one, PM me and I'll tell you how :)

I spent a great deal of my life in Northern Ireland. I was born about 200ft directly behind where this following picture was taken:

lake20in20donegal3kp.jpg

When I was around 8, I moved to SW Scotland, and lived there until I went to university to study philosophy. Many yrs later I now still attend university as a post grad student. I live in Glasgow now, but I've spent many months all over the worlds (Seattle, Moscow, Berlin, Helsinki, Toronto, Costa Rica and much of the Orient).

I have a tonne more things to say, But I dont much enjoy talking about myself!

There's not much to say about myself. I'm an amatuer photographer, and hope to continue pursing it as a career. I'm also a web designer and 3d designer, but those are just hobbies that I have no intention of making a career from.

I drive a Jeep.

When it comes to music, I like metal as a main category. However, I love classical music and jazz, I like some rock, and a lot of old rock, oldies, trance, etc. I'm not into any new country, only old stuff like for instance, Johnny Cash. Rap is something I've never been able to grasp, because I hate how easy it is to make a rap song. I've done a lot of recording of my own stuff, and a lot of computer-based music, and to make a rap song takes about 3 minutes, and a microphone. I just feel that there is a lack of talent in rap.

What else... Where I live is magnificent. Thousands of trails for anything. 4x4ing, hiking, biking, etc. Lots of mountains for snowboarding in the winter. If you guys are interested, all my photography is done here in BC. You can check my stuff out here.

Besides that, my name is Tyler and I play drums and guitar.

me3if.jpg

http://www.uc.edu/news/NR.asp?id=1851

Im the redheaded dude in the middle(of the group pic in the article)--this is a 2 year old pic though(But I look roughly the same)--I dont have a digital camera and this web news is the best I can do. So unfortunately, everyone has to look at an article.

For the life of me, I cant figure out how to post a picture not on a website.

Kenneth R. said:
I used to frequent this forum, but sadly, I no longer do. I have a few reasons for it, and I will not go into them here. As for pictures, see avatar.
You, along with many other people, take things said too seriously. Calm down, because we all here like to hear your two cents, just as much as anyone else's.

Kenneth R. said:
I used to frequent this forum, but sadly, I no longer do. I have a few reasons for it, and I will not go into them here. As for pictures, see avatar.

You are always welcome to return. I enjoyed your posts Silent Song. It is always nice to have a intelligent and articulate person such as yourself on any board.

Oh and Anvil Snake, you look alot like Josh Homme of the once Immortal Kyuss.

speed said:
Oh and Anvil Snake, you look alot like Josh Homme of the once Immortal Kyuss.

Josh Homme, eh? I disagree, but whatever. I guess a bit... but he's got that carrot-red hair. I got a dirty-blonde kind of colouring.

I'm also from Scotland, well I have at least lived here since I was 1, so I regard myself as Scottish, not English. I have lived in the same area of Aberdeenshire all my life. Considering I took the following pictures from a mobile phone, they are onot bad!

A school trip up Bennachie last August:

Bennachie2.jpg

Bennachie.jpg

This was taken about two weeks ago, about 5 miles from my house:

02-03-06_1450.jpg

And me:

me21.jpg

I enjoy a lot of music, like most of the people on here, and my interests in metal include many different varieties of Doom, Black and Death, and also some Gothic Metal bands. I like some rock like Rage Against the Machine, some classical music and some random stuff like the KidneyThieves.

I was taught at home until the age of 14/15 which in a way I think was a good thing. I'm now a sixth year, and I am studying Advanced Higher Philosophy and Modern Studies (politics, law and the study of developing countries). I'm also studying Higher Geography and Sociology. I only really like the Human Geography side of the Higher, and I find Sociology immensely boring.

Next year I was planning to study a a degree called "The Ancient Civilisations of the Meditteranean and Middle East," but now I'm thinking about Anthropology. Really not sure so if anyone was any advice on this feel free! Either way I hope to continue studying Philosophy.

I have traveled a bit, not as much as I would like to but probably more than the average kid. I lived in Turkey for a year when I was 14, and I am going back there this summer for a short holiday.

That's about it really.

@ Neith: I got lost up that hill a few years ago (i know that's pretty silly!) The snow was so deep you couldn't tell where you were and me and a friend spent hours going round in circles in the forest at the base! Whoops!

No way, I bet that was fun! Next time there is snow I'm gonna head up there and get some pics, it should be good! I was going to go the past few weeks but my brother was always too busy, so that's my objective for this winter. I'm probably going to get lost too, although, there are signs in that forest ya know! I imagine it being like some kind of Final Fantasy forest in winter?