The transition between electric and acoustic live

Moonlapser

Ich Muss Zerstoren...
Jan 27, 2006
Bristol, England
i was just wondering that when Opeth play live then how do they make the transition between electric and acoustic? I haven't had the pleasure to see them live yet so i was just wondering. Sorry if theres been anything on this before...

fine everyone turn this into a rip me apart thread. i didnt know the code for the umlaut over the o so i did the next best thing....now can anyone answer my question?

hey thanks. thats what i thought in the first place. Would seem a little off if they paused to go change guitars, and in most songs they would do it 3 or 4 times lol

Yeah, which is why they dont. It's just not workable. The start 'Closure' with an acoustic on Lamentions, which is cool, but the transition to electric takes too long. When I saw them, they played it with just electric, and it worked much better as a live song.

Yea no band would really make a change of guitars during a song...however, the equipment they use gives them a sexalicious clean electric tone...

^That equipment being solely the reasonably priced Boss GT-8....

No, this is not a paid advertisement.

edit: Well, of course they have their $5000 PRS guitars and Laney amps, but anyway :)

i have teh metallica DVD live shiat binge adn ourge...adn during THE unforgiven htey have acaosutic nylon strifn oin teh stadn...and james is playin it adn it ahs a mic on teh top so james cna sing in teh mic...adn then when he switches to eloectric its just hangin roudn him u know.....it worked retty good for him.....!!!...i think Opeth oughta try that.....PEAC EOUT

on the last u.s. tour they had very brittle, thin, and piercing guitar tone...it sounded ok in the mix...didn't have the luscious mids that i have always loved about their tone...but, it did shine when they played the acoustic parts...there was a lot more definition. it almost sounded like they were using an acoustic simulator.

On the Be dvd, Johan had the bass straped around his neck even while he was playing drums and other stuff. It seemed natural. And yes, Opeth uses a clean electric sound.

Yep, and bands like yes switch guitars during songs, not that I've really paid that much attention, but Steve Howe likes to do stuff like that:

howe_performs01.jpg

waz416c said:
i have teh metallica DVD live shiat binge adn ourge...adn during THE unforgiven htey have acaosutic nylon strifn oin teh stadn...and james is playin it adn it ahs a mic on teh top so james cna sing in teh mic...adn then when he switches to eloectric its just hangin roudn him u know.....it worked retty good for him.....!!!...i think Opeth oughta try that.....PEAC EOUT
a lot of bands do this, including Dream Theater etc...

Goofy... but amazing! I like the other thing he plays, which I have no idea what its called, but it makes some pretty cool sounds...

steve_kpc_7-15-02.jpg