The usual downward spiral for most bands.

Tubbs Mcgee said:
I'm just going to say this before somebody else says it and pisses me off... Dream Theater has suffered the same thing.

Yes, it started with Train Of Thought and now in Octavarium(which I refuse to get). To me their last good album was Scenes from a Memory. I nderstand that bands and people change but for a band as talented as DreamTheater I was expecting more than what they delivered in this last album.

Asimis said:
Yes, it started with Train Of Thought and now in Octavarium(which I refuse to get). To me their last good album was Scenes from a Memory. I nderstand that bands and people change but for a band as talented as DreamTheater I was expecting more than what they delivered in this last album.
i concur.

Asimis said:
I agree.

Asimis said:

I congree

I actually think the s/t metallica was better than AJFA.

The downfall in the band was james getting hurt. If the band would have released an album in 92,94 the music probably would not have been the load/reload style.

Goober said:
I'm sure you've noticed that MANY bands usually have albums that start great, but then after they release more and more they start to turn to crap, why is it that this happens? Is it that they probably used up their best material in earlier albums? or was it that their greatness gets to their heads?

you shouldve posted this on the katatonia forum.

Asimis said:
Although I really enjoyed Six Degrees and Train Of Thought, and liked Octavarium as much as possible, I would have to agree that these albums aren't as good as their older ones. (The difference here is I actually still like these albums.)

shadyfigure said:
you shouldve posted this on the katatonia forum.
why do people hate on Katatonia? They've changed like Ulver changed. people don't bash Ulver. Both bands evolved into something new and still maintained quality

Tubbs Mcgee said:
Although I really enjoyed Six Degrees and Train Of Thought, and liked Octavarium as much as possible, I would have to agree that these albums aren't as good as their older ones. (The difference here is I actually still like these albums.)

I think that SDOIT and TOT were really great albums even if not on par with their previous ones. I own and love both, but with Octavarium I get "St. Anger" nightmares, don't like it at all.

They are a great band still, all good bands can put out a bad album. Another case for me...Nymphetamine was a really weak album by Cradle of Filth, specially if you compare it with their previous release "Damnation and a Day".

We can only hope that the band in question gets back on track and release more good stuff. :)

True.

A label probably pushes you after 2 years to write a cd. I'm just assuming because bands cda usually are 2 years appart. 3,4 is pushing it and to long.

Just say you formed in 1990 never releasing your first cd till 95... the next one is going to come out 1,2 years after that. You will be be playing shows while figuring out what the hell to do for the new album. Down the line when you have 2,3,4 cds with the same schedual it can't be easy to write a fulllength.

You probably have 4 to 8 months to write & record. Some bands have to reinvent themselves eventually.

Tubbs Mcgee said:
I'm just going to say this before somebody else says it and pisses me off... Dream Theater has suffered the same thing.

(That's not what I think, but the majority of people here do by the looks of it.)

i think octavarium is a great album. I listen to it all the time. Sure it may not be the same as the old stuff, but its definately not an album that is bringing teh band down imo.