The Way Of Drumming

earthwormzim said:
I've never played with my hands crossed. Right hand on snare, if my left hand is playing the high-hat, and my left hand on the snare if my right hand is playing the toms/other cymbals. It just came naturally to me.

Btw...I'm relatively new to drums...I've been practicing for about 2.5 years now, approximately 3 to 6 hours a week on an electronic Roland drum set. I have yet to play on a real acoustic set. =..(

My near-sighted goal is to play old-Arch Enemy/Carcass-Heartwork style. Maybe, perhaps in 3 or 4 more years, I hope to be able to keep up with Myrkskog....lol....after I get my bionic arm and leg implants!

Hey, thats cool, my teacher would love you LOL.

3-6 hours a week - is not that much, but 2,5 years - is ok. I play less :cry: And you lucky for having at list electronic. Coz I dont even have my own drum kit, yes shame but truth. I play at home on some gum circle I've made by myself.

My goal is to play im polyrythmic style - mathmetal elements. Like Meshuggah, Mudvayne, Pantera, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Ion Dissonance and so on. Also I'd like to achieve Chris Adler's standart (Lamb Of God) :D

I will add, though, that when I first began, a friend of mine, a girl that is also into drumming (into punk rock), saw me playing as I do, and tried to persuade me to play with my arms crossed. She said that it was "the right way to do it". But, eh...I didn't like it, so I continued doing it the way I wanted to.

earthwormzim said:
I will add, though, that when I first began, a friend of mine, a girl that is also into drumming (into punk rock), saw me playing as I do, and tried to persuade me to play with my arms crossed. She said that it was "the right way to do it". But, eh...I didn't like it, so I continued doing it the way I wanted to.

Good of you :D
When I started to play my ex-boyfriend was teaching me (he's guitarist actually, but plays drums a lil too) - so he also told me that crossed hands - its the right way to play, as its more comfortable.
Yesterday I also asked some good drummer I know - he said that uncrossed hands way will even help me to play good.