"The Weakest Link" thread

Imagine what Fates Warning would have done if John Arch would have stayed in there! I heard No Exit was solid though.

What would have done? The man wasn't responsible for the songwritting. so the evolution in their music would have happened either way, as for the vocals, as much superbe Arch's voice is, there is no comparison between him and Ray Alder. "No Exit" is a lot more than "solid" by the way, and among my 3 fav F.W. albums.

What would have done? The man wasn't responsible for the songwritting. so the evolution in their music would have happened either way, as for the vocals, as much superbe Arch's voice is, there is no comparison between him and Ray Alder. "No Exit" is a lot more than "solid" by the way, and among my 3 fav F.W. albums.

O rly? I'll have to check out No Exit, I just always figured he was a huge part of the song writing because I thought later day Fates Warning sucked, and that's why it took me so long to check the early stuff out.

EDIT: I still have to listen to my copy of Night on Brocken. I'll pick up No Exit soon enough.

Mathiäs;6679236 said:
I can't really think of any other singer that could sing in DT. LaBrie fits the mold perfectly IMO

I admit I can't name a multitude of examples, but when I listen to a song like "Strange Deja Vu" -- where LaBrie's vocals fail -- and its strong Queensryche elements, I can't help but wonder how much better it might have been with Geoff Tate on vox (or anyone who doesn't necessarily sound like they're singing rubber ducky in the bath).

so it seems with all the bands out there we can't really name many where one person is the weakest link ...

let's turn this around then.

any bands that one person is the standout and the rest of the band is crap???

so it seems with all the bands out there we can't really name many where one person is the weakest link ...

I would probably add Nevermore to that list for me. If it weren't for Warrell Dane, I'd probably like them a lot more.

That'll take some thinking....hmm.

let's turn this around then.

Eric Adams. I doubt you'll find a greater talent differential between any one band member and the rest of his band.

I would probably add Nevermore to that list for me. If it weren't for Warrell Dane, I'd probably like them a lot more.
Understandable. His voice is very distinct. And whenever you're distinct, you're going to be loved and hated. However, if you removed Warrell from the creative process, more would change than just the vocals.

Zod

Understandable. His voice is very distinct. And whenever you're distinct, you're going to be loved and hated. However, if you removed Warrell from the creative process, more would change than just the vocals.

He is indeed distinct but I neither love or hate him. I find him to be very hit and miss. There are moments of genius and then there are moments of blaaah and it's that level of inconsistency which throws me off. Also, his range sucks because he can't get out of that goddamn 5-note scale, all of which can be found in "Nar-co-synth-e-sis". My goat, his singing on that makes me want to slowly push screwdrivers into each ear. And then you have songs like "Sentient 6" where he just shines like a halo.

He is indeed distinct but I neither love or hate him.
You hate him.

I find him to be very hit and miss.
You think he misses.

There are moments of genius and then there are moments of blaaah and it's that level of inconsistency which throws me off.
The only thing Nevermore is inconsistent about, is being inconsistent.

Also, his range sucks because he can't get out of that goddamn 5-note scale, all of which can be found in "Nar-co-synth-e-sis". My goat, his singing on that makes me want to slowly push screwdrivers into each ear.
Narcosynthesis >>> Every song by Agalloch, Hammers of Misfortune, Slough Feg and Empyrium

And then you have songs like "Sentient 6" where he just shines like a halo.
Agreed.

:lol:

Zod

:lol: ... i just added that sand reggie to my Facebook friends this AM.

Amman is one cool cat ... I can see why Ali would fuss :loco:

I admit I can't name a multitude of examples, but when I listen to a song like "Strange Deja Vu" -- where LaBrie's vocals fail -- and its strong Queensryche elements, I can't help but wonder how much better it might have been with Geoff Tate on vox (or anyone who doesn't necessarily sound like they're singing rubber ducky in the bath).

How exactly do his vocals fail? I'm listening to the song now (haven't in a while) and they sound fine to me.

Admittedly LaBrie is no god, but he's perfect for DT.

Mathiäs;6682029 said:
How exactly do his vocals fail? I'm listening to the song now (haven't in a while) and they sound fine to me.

While he does just about manage to stay in key, he has very limited strength or vibrato in his voice. I just think this music calls for stronger vocals and he is actually quite the opposite, almost restrained in his delivery. He actually sounds like any random dude performing above average karaoke.