The what's going on in Thrash thread

I'm definitely a fan of Souza, there was some good music without him but for me Exodus just isn't Exodus without him.

I'm also a big fan of DDP and Hatriot.

Reactions: Neptune
For me it's kind of like Anthrax without Joey. Sound of White Noise is one of my favourite albums and I don't think Joey could have improved it, but to me it wasn't the Anthrax I grew up listening to. When Exodus got rid of Souza part of old Exodus just wasn't there for me. (mind you current Anthrax with Joey isn't the same either)

Still don't know if the BS from both sides in the media when Souza came back relating to whether management kicked Dukes out because Chuck Billy told them too was true but that sort of shit didn't need to be aired in public as far as I was concerned.

Reactions: redfly
I know what you mean. It wasn't the same vibe without Zetro. But I really like the brutality of the Dukes years. And well, Paul what can I say lol
And I don't really dislike Zetro, Hatriot is good stuff.
I really have no idea what happened with the Dukes/Zetro/Chuck thing. I thought maybe Chuck did. But He and Exodus say he didn't so I guess I have to go with that. Especially when dukes says he mouthed off to Chuck. I don't really believe that lol

http://bravewords.com/news/gene-hog...s-an-absolute-legend-in-the-metal-field-video

Reactions: Slammed
There seems to be bullshit on both sides of the Exodus/Dukes split and I understand he was annoyed he lost his job but airing the sort of crap both sides did wasn't really a good move.

I'm a big boy but Chuck Billy still scares me so I'm just going to agree with him in case he's looking over my shoulder :)

I saw that interview with Gene on the feeds this morning, haven't had a chance to watch it yet. The first thing I want to hear Gene say is "The new Dark Angel album is due out next week!"

New Municipal Waste album drops today. Few people I know are hanging out desperately for the album I'll be looking for some reviews before I decided to buy though. I have liked some of their other stuff but I still prefer old style crossover bands like DRI.

My problem with MW is that the guy I know who did buy it yesterday would think it was superb even if the album was full of the band farting on the snare drum and burping the lyrics so I need to coax him into letting the album go for an hour so that I can listen to it without him around. But you're right some new music is needed, not sure what else is coming out.

It's been out a few weeks now but I finally got the new Frenzal Rhomb album this week, will give that a listen later. But I think they are more of an aussie thing, not sure how popular they were overseas. Like so many other bands, Hobbs Angel Of Death, Christbait, Allegiance, Armoured Angel etc, Frenzal are a part of our metal history. I spent 10-15 years working with bands like that in the 80's and 90's and we haven't seen gigs like that again, even our festivals (which get world recognition because the organiser skips out owing all the bands millions of dollars) don't come close to the Friday night metal gigs we used to put on back then.

We've had a huge metal scene for years but not many bands break overseas. We've also had a huge pub scene for 40 years (rock music with a hint of heaviness) which went to the US and came home because they couldn't break. Bands like AC/DC and INXS made it big overseas but they weren't metal, they just didn't fit either the pub scene or the metal scene. Where as a band like Rose Tattoo who were more hard rock in the 70's and 80's now plays some of the heaviest festivals in Europe, especially Germany.

Bands like Mortal Sin didn't do too bad in Europe and their first three albums were damn good for a band that barely had a recording contract, we played with them a heap of times. Many of the bands are no longer active or slipped into other bands and their music will be hard to find but bands like the above, Addictive, Alchemist, Sadistik Execution, Mortification (They might be christian metal but they do make some good music) really killed it for years on stage. There is heaps more, but I am kind of bias towards old school stuff because it was the scene I was involved in.

For something with a real Aussie flavour and free check out Dead Kelly. I'm not their biggest fan but they release everything for free on their site and it's not too bad.

Haunted sounds good, I might have to check them out a bit more.

That's just strange how those bands kind of got buried. I'm equally baffled by the amount of weird ass Scandinavian bands ( I'm more of an old school thrash guy ) and how much press they do get lol

Th Haunted is a band I really like ( for the most part), due to having had two singers there are some very different albums. The first is kind of Slayer/Pantera-ish Then that singer left the new guy gave them more of a mix of Death metal and Thrash with some pretty good music, Two albums with him then the original guy came back and they did an album that's kind of Thrash/ Hardcore, then they put out three? albums that got less and less brutal with not so much in the way of tricky arrangements even more say radio orientated. Now the second singer is back and they have one album with him and now another is coming out in august.

I'm equally baffled by the amount of weird ass Scandinavian bands ( I'm more of an old school thrash guy ) and how much press they do get lol

To be honest I don't take notice of a lot of Scandinavian stuff, like you I'm baffled by the amount and I tend to stop looking and just revert back to the tried and tested. I'll listen to new bands but not every new band someone tells me I should. I listen to a lot of old school death metal but these days to me the growly vocals and distorted guitars is really over done and I get bored with it

Th Haunted is a band I really like ( for the most part), due to having had two singers there are some very different albums.

I'm definitely going to give these guys a go later when the kids are outside and I don't have to listen to them try and be louder than the music.

I'm the same way I usually end up back on the bands I grew up with, whether it be their new music or the classics. I'm really pretty picky about my bands and even more so with Death Metal. It has to be just right lol They need some power and tone in the vocals not just burping into the mic.

Where you at Neptune?!

I've got weird tastes, more often than not these days I'll give a doom band a first listen over any death/extreme metal band.