The what's going on in Thrash thread

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/testament-classic-albums-to-be-reissued-with-new-artwork/

Suppose this is good for those who don't already have them but not sure why they release new artwork other than to cash in with those who feel the need to buy everything a band puts their name on.
Those albums have needed reissuing for years. If the levels are brought up. I don't think them spending money on new artwork is cash grabbing. It's not like they are going to charge more because of the artwork.

Reactions: Slammed
They don't need to charge more, there will be people out there who have to own two copies of an identical album but because it's available, just like there would be people who own two copies just because one says remastered. Although I guarantee that in this country the new ones will be marked as a "special edition" and spend 6-12 month at a higher price because the new artwork and the words 'special edition' makes it more inviting for some people to buy a second copy. It's marketing 101, update and reissue as many times as they can. Chances are it's contracted through the label just like compilations and remasters are and the new covers are simply bait to attract people but that doesn't change the fact that someone is doing it to make more money off an old product.

Reactions: redfly
I completely disagree. Until I read these don't sound like they are being remastered. And I wouldn't really consider that these are the classic albums I was thinking. I was thinking The first four albums lol. Those are the ones that need to be redone. The Gathering and Demonic and First Strike still sound really good.
It could be they don't have the ownership over the artwork.

Reactions: Slammed
Could well be an artwork issue, just like record label contracts expiring artwork deals can expire depending on how they are written initially. My cousin's wife signed a 10 year deal with a local muso to use one of her images as a kick drum skin, after 10 years the drummer either renegotiates new terms, buys the artwork for a price or stops using it.

Popular books get re-released with new covers every few years purely to sell more copies of old books, whether it be to new readers or old readers replacing/duplicating their collection. While that doesn't seem to happen with too many mainstream labels and bands it's good marketing from a label's point of view because there is still plenty of people that will buy something if they think it's different to what they already have.

Although this isn't a case of artwork being censored think about how many bands had albums censored and people bought both copies, or originals became hard to get, even collectables. Re-releasing albums could well be the next new trend in making money from a dwindling market.

Could well be an artwork issue, just like record label contracts expiring artwork deals can expire depending on how they are written initially. My cousin's wife signed a 10 year deal with a local muso to use one of her images as a kick drum skin, after 10 years the drummer either renegotiates new terms, buys the artwork for a price or stops using it.

Popular books get re-released with new covers every few years purely to sell more copies of old books, whether it be to new readers or old readers replacing/duplicating their collection. While that doesn't seem to happen with too many mainstream labels and bands it's good marketing from a label's point of view because there is still plenty of people that will buy something if they think it's different to what they already have.

Although this isn't a case of artwork being censored think about how many bands had albums censored and people bought both copies, or originals became hard to get, even collectables. Re-releasing albums could well be the next new trend in making money from a dwindling market.
Some of those things really need updating lol. Especially any cover art on books from the 70's. Shit was awful lol

Reactions: Neptune and Slammed
I don't know if it's the same there as it is here but most popular books get re-released with new covers every 3 or 4 years, also a new update if a book gets made into a move. It's got nothing to do with author but it must create new interest otherwise the publishers wouldn't do it. Maybe the music industry is the next industry to push it.

Reactions: redfly and Neptune
In this country it's all about making more sales. People see something new on the shelf and they pick it up. They may not buy it but they pick it up and that's the first step. Same would go for albums, people look through CD racks, even on line and they see something they don't recognise by a band they like and they check it out. It works for every product. Car makers that don't have new models coming out release the older models with different paint, leather seats, different sound system and they give it a special name and it creates new interest in an old item. DVD's come with directors cuts and extra when they want to sell more.

Adding some new artwork to a CD, remastering it, adding a few new songs, or any mix of those things create a potential new audience and new sales. It used to be compilation albums, a band would leave a label and to cash in one last time the label would take what they could get away with can call it a "Best Of". Slayer's Live Undead is a prime example, it's widely reported that it's a canned audience and the band had no part in creating the album because it was taken of tapes after the shit went down with who was either managing them or controlling them. It was done purely as a last ditch cash in on what was becoming a money making machine.

Yeah that's true. We used to get a lot of bands making "australian tour editions" where they would release the same album with a few live songs from a gig in the country somewhere. It seems to have slowed down a bit these days but it does still happen. However when they can charge $55 for a 15 year old album on vinyl I guess they don't need to make too many tour editions to rip people off.