The where are you now thread

Detroit is a ghost town, such lovely old buildings and they're all empty. I took a few shots from the people mover (skyrail) showing the inside of one. I guess this place was bustling last century.

The streets are very clean and safe though you do see quite a few black people just hanging around, some begging for change but I was there on a Thursday and Friday afternoon and it's very quiet.

I didn't have time to go to the Ford or Chrysler museums - a pity.

Public transport here is almost non-existent.

I did go to General Motors which seemed to be alive, they have a food court and some shops downstairs which is quite modest.

Julliette Lewis was in town with her band, I did get to say hello, she did have fans and minders around her.

Tried a local brew they call the Ghettoblaster, a dark beer that tasted like wet newspaper - wasn't too bad.

The next night I ventured a little out of town to the I-Rock, a venue that has the walls filled with autographed guitars, photos and memorabilia, they've all played or visited.

Beer of choice there was Molson Canadian - very watery but ok.

Julliette Lewis & band
JL.jpg

JL1.jpg

Downtown Detroit
Detroit.jpg

Detroit2.jpg

bldg1.jpg

bldg.jpg

GM
GM1.jpg

GM.jpg

SSCamaro.jpg

I-Rock
Corvette2010.jpg

I-Rock.jpg

s

detroit is meh, my dad was on a movie there like last year

I agree with that. Detroit does have a lot of bands touring through it though.

They were filming some feature film called LOL when I was there.

They were also filming Transformers 3 in Chicago, they had all the styrofoam concrete blocks laying around pne of the bridges.

I checked out Lollapalooza (why not) and got to see X-Japan which was a good surprise.

I also turned up to Summer Slaughter late (last band) and the woman let me in free so I got to see Decapitated.

In all the cities I've visited in Europe, Bangkok and Australia we have internet cafes (I've only been to 2 that actually sold coffee) where you can use computers and get online - I'm surprised there's nothing like that here in the USA, that I've seen so far.

Plenty of wi-fi places but I travel light and didn't want a laptop weighing me down.

The hotel computers that I've been on have some sort of net-nanny, one wouldn't let me log into UM forums and this one won't let me read some of the threads here.

s

Hello from Tulsa Oklahoma.

Made a pit stop at Galena, Kansas for lunch.

Photos:

Chicago - they were filming Transformers 3 - this is the set.

Chicago1.jpg

2 of the stages at Lollapalooza, there are 8 in total these are the largest.

Lollapalooza.jpg

Lollapalooza1.jpg

The Mustang I'm driving across the US.

vert.jpg

I'm travelling in a group here's our cars.

Ponies.jpg

We went to Troy's Rad Rod's workshop, I liked this one the best of what was on display.

Corvette.jpg

They were rebuilding a Mustang Fastback among other cars.

Fastback.jpg

After visiting the House of Blues this is a scene moments away at the river.

Chicago3.jpg

What the hell is this thing?

Q.jpg

Hello from Pontiac.

Phoenix.jpg

We were taking photos of this biker bar, everything has murals here, the owner saw us drive into town (Nilwood), when he rode past he saw us taking photos so let us in to have some drinks. $2 beers and we almost bought him out of stubby coolers.

bikerbar.jpg

It's the clubhouse of the Iron Sleds motorcycle club.

sign.jpg

I have so many photos, these are just a few.

s

Still in Tulsa and was lucky to find two metal gigs were on tonight.

Some Death Metal gig with Jungle Rot with Lightning Swords Of Death and across the road a gig was happening with a lot more people

Beyond What's Given - Death Metal from Arkansas - the guitarist plays in a wheelchair

Firststryke - some old band that were pretty good, they supported Metallica here in 1986.

Dirty Penny - an LA style sleaze/glam band from California.

It was a pretty good night.

s

how long will you be gone?

Was only gone a few hours. :p

Anyway driving down from Tulsa we stopped at McJerry's art gallery, you may want to check his work online.

IMG_2895.jpg

Bike museum somewhere along the way

IMG_2922.jpg

IMG_2928.jpg

The Triumph the way it was delivered, has never been assembled.

IMG_2934.jpg

IMG_2941.jpg

Went to check out the Mayhem festival, so many cars around it, I found a carpark ~ 10 mins walk away.

The event was sold out, hung out the front chattin to the country folk & listening to Lamb of God's set, you could hear it really well (open air festival)

'You got an accent, you from Arkansas?'

LoL.

Err... a bit further south mate.

I didn't hang around too long and I remembered the bombing that took place here so went to the memorial.

IMG_2972.jpg

IMG_2969.jpg

IMG_2977.jpg

IMG_2978.jpg

IMG_2981.jpg

IMG_2990.jpg

Part of the original building

IMG_2987.jpg

IMG_3003.jpg

I went for a drive through Bricktown (a section of downtown), it was quite busy, I couldn't get a parking spot so just took a drive through, it was 99 deg F outside, during the day I recall it reading 106F.

IMG_3009.jpg

s