The WoY Beer Thread.

Blanche de Chambly

blanche-de-chambly.jpg

I'm excited because I just did a case exchange with a bunch of coworkers. Everyone signed up for a different beer and traded up until everyone had one of each. People brought some great stuff. I'm most excited for:

Troegs Mad Elf:
troegs_holiday_ale.jpg

and Anderson Valley Winter Solstice. No pic, but they say
"Luscious, creamy, smooth, and warming, this medium bodied ale is brewed with Caramel and crystal malts to give it just a hint of sweetness, then paired with our private blend of holiday spice."

Can't wait to get out of work tonight and crack some open.

Usually just drinking cheap local beer, as imported beer is fucking expensive. An Urquell or Heineken, etc., 0.33L costs over $3. So, if it's only to get hammered, I usually down a dozen of 'Krudtugler' which cost 50 cent...

In the past couple days we tried a few beers from the case trade at my work. My husband drinks all the IPAs because I'm not really into it. I'm working my way from light to dark. So far what has stood out to me was:

Leffe
A great blonde Abbey style, clean, fruity and a little dry.
leffe_blonde.jpg

And my own contribution, Magic Hat's Circus Boy.
I will admit, I should have saved it for the summer case exchange. This Hefeweisen was like summer in a glass.

But last night at the bar we were drinking this classy $1.50 tall boy shit
schmidts299.gif

Nice Thread!!

I just got back from Thailand, Singapore and Bali and the beer there was soo refreshing. My beers of choice while sitting in the sun listening to Woods of Ypres were:

Beer_Chang.jpg

bintang.jpg

By the way Dave, if you see this, while in Thailand waiting for my brother to finish his massage and drinking a nice Chang beer, I was sitting with a few Thai dudes and played a few riffs from Woods4 and they were freaking out begging me to send it to their phone!!! Couldn't send music from an iPhone to Blackberry, but they fuckin loved it!!! Also, in Bali, my brother met a girl there and we were drinking and she loves metal, showed her a couple Woods songs and she was absolutely freaking out loving it too!!

Fuckin right, who couldn't love the new Woods? I think i retract saying the Eleventh He Reaches London was my favourite last year because I love the new Woods album more than anything I've heard in years!!! A true masterpiece and can't wait for the next!!!!

JeiSIN

By the way Dave, if you see this, while in Thailand waiting for my brother to finish his massage and drinking a nice Chang beer, I was sitting with a few Thai dudes and played a few riffs from Woods4 and they were freaking out begging me to send it to their phone!!! Couldn't send music from an iPhone to Blackberry, but they fuckin loved it!!! Also, in Bali, my brother met a girl there and we were drinking and she loves metal, showed her a couple Woods songs and she was absolutely freaking out loving it too!!

Fuckin right, who couldn't love the new Woods? I think i retract saying the Eleventh He Reaches London was my favourite last year because I love the new Woods album more than anything I've heard in years!!! A true masterpiece and can't wait for the next!!!!

That's awesome man, thanks for sharing! :kickass:

DG - \w/

I usually average one 12oz beer every three months. However, I'm consolidating my homes and we can't fit food in the fridge due to all the beer.

4336778503_bc156cd4b1_m.jpg

Don't know why exactly but every Just Beer (fka Buzzard's Bay) brew I've sampled has the same base taste. My going theory is it's in the water. Know some who can't stand it but I grew up around the corner so it feels all home-ish to me. Anyhow this is a light-bodied blonde ale. More of a summer brew than something for fall but they took it out of production for legal reasons almost a year ago so I decided to start there.

Place I'm moving from is aroudn the corner from Blue Hills Brewery so I went there during breaks from loading the cars. Wound up working a bit so I got paid in beer:

Blackhops Beer
A dark ale. Tastes a bit like a porter but has this sweetness to offset the dry. All around nice product.

Oktobrau
Their Oktoberfest beer. Nicely balanced marzen lager.

IPA
Nicely done for the style. Hoppy but not overwhelming.

Wampatuck Wheat
My preferred summer brew. Very wheaty and light bodied with just the right hints of citrus. Not filtered so the end of that 64oz jug got a bit icky to look at.

Unfiltered Natural Pumpkin Ale
Basicaly a spiced version of their Oktoberfest. Good for something flavored.

Red Baron Ale
Why one would name an Irish Red after a guy famous for killing allied soldiers I am not sure. Decent beer but not something I seek out on my own. Smooth enough and lacking in flavor to the point I won't really notice when the guzzling starts.

pumpkin.gif

The ladies tell me this beer is awesome. Honestly tastes like a brutally mediocre attempt at a Marzen lager with spices added as coverup.

Pretty Things Beer&Ale Project 1902 KK
Kind of like a LARP beer. The brewer gets together with a historian once in awhile and they recreate an old brew. This tiem around it's a hoppy black ale. Not really buying beer at the moment due to the whole having discovered a case each of 12, 22, and 64oz bottles but this one I'm willing to make an exception for.

Wormtown Oktoberfest
Decided to give my local brewery another shot and honestly... the brewer is clearly a talented guy and makes some technically perfect brews. However, it's like anything that isn't insanely expensive and gimmicky just doesn't have any real personality of flavor profile. Not terrible but not something I'm going to drive the 15 minutes to get more of.

Wormtown Worcest'ers Bravest Ale
I gather that proceeds from this benefit local firefighters in some way. That's about the only good thing I've got to say about it. Wheat-based but that's overpowered by spices I really don't dig.

26.jpg

Now this... I dig. Got that whole slightly-sweet marzen thing happening for an all around balanced beer.

Wachusett Milk Stout
I really am not a flavored or gimmicky beer kind of a guy. So I avoided milk/sweet stouts like the plague until someone passed me this. Actually damn tasty.

wachusett-larry-imperial-ipa.jpg

A very hoppy IPA. More on the fruity side of hops. Goes down real nice.

Hope amber ale
Semi-wheaty well balanced amber hued ale. Went a bit nuts on this one because the brewer failed to pay the equipment owner so I was able to assist Haitian relief efforts by buying cases of his product for $15.00 each. Now I'm cooking with the stuff because it's getting up there and isn't the sort of beer one intentionally ages.

51828.jpg

Tastes like a Just Beer brew. Nice moderately hoppy American Pale Ale.

Bought a case of 24 "Harboe Pinsebryg" 5.7% today, for 65 Dkr = $12 CAD. Not the best beer in the world, but they did the job and I had a fun time walking home... and I still have 12 left :)