THEOCRACY: "THEOCRACY" RE-ISSUE DETAILS REVEALED

The self-titled debut album from the Athens, Georgia-based melodic metal band THEOCRACY will be re-released through Ulterium Records on November 15th in Europe and November 19th in North America.

THEOCRACY drummer Shawn Benson recorded drums on all tracks, while nothing else was re-recorded. Matt Smith completely re-mixed the album, with the mastering handled by Mika Jussila [Stratovarius, Nightwish, Edguy]. The THEOCRACY debut album was originally released through MetalAges Records in 2003, and is currently very rare and hard to find.

Check out an album teaser at YouTube:

"Theocracy" track listing:
01. Prelude
02. Ichthus
03. The Serpent's Kiss
04. Mountain
05. Theocracy
06. The Healing Hand
07. Sinner
08. New Jerusalem
09. The Victory Dance
10. Twist of Fate

"Theocracy" can be pre-ordered at the Ulterium Records Store at http://www.ulteriumstore.bigcartel.com

Last edited by a moderator:
It's the presence of Shawn's drumming. The drums and the re-mixing add such layer of depth and dimension to the songs.

I'm so pumped for the re-release. I'm gonna pre-order 2 copies, one for me and one for my little sister (who is also a big Theocracy fan).
This album really helped me in my walk with Christ during my days in high school.

I just pre-ordered. :)

It truly sounds fantastic. I confess I was a doubter before (I thought it needed re-recording), but Matt absolutely made the right choice just to re-master.

The drums are almost a bit too overwhelming. Maybe it's just cause I'm not used to them but I find it hard to focus on anything other than them.

Yeah but hopefully many new listeners won't have that problem :kickass:

I think that the new drums and better mixing add a lot more depth to the songs, especially on the epics where the added depth is much-needed. I may seem like the odd one out here, but it was the poor production and timing problems that originally made this album hard to listen to, especially in comparison with the latter two albums.

:headbang: Now I am quite happy because it sounds a lot better. :headbang:

Ulterium, are you going to ship preorders early to compensate for the buyers location? (US in my case).

At long last. :)

The drums are great addition. Makes more of a difference than I thought it would, actually. The remixing makes quite a difference too.

I think that the new drums and better mixing add a lot more depth to the songs, especially on the epics where the added depth is much-needed. I may seem like the odd one out here, but it was the poor production and timing problems that originally made this album hard to listen to, especially in comparison with the latter two albums.

Well, it didn't make it difficult for me to listen to, but I can understand how it would turn some people off somewhat. Ichthus and the Serpents Kiss in particular were in need to fixing up, and there's one part early in Twist of Fate that really gets on my nerves (though I still love that song). Actually, it took me a few listens to appreciate Ichthus. What I hear of the new version sounds great though.

I forgot about the extent that Matt put into that. I still hear it very clearly every time I listen to I Am.

On a more related note:
Yeah but hopefully many new listeners won't have that problem :kickass:

The more I listen to it, the less the drums seem out of place. The ending of New Jerusalem stills sounds a bit odd but I'm sure I'll get over it.

I hate always being the cynical person on these forums when it comes to Theocracy though; it's probably just because I expect nothing less than perfection from them.

Ulterium, are you going to ship preorders early to compensate for the buyers location? (US in my case).
We'll ship the pre-orders one week ahead of the European release date [which is four days ahead of the US release date]. If possible, we'll try to ship the orders from outside of Europe a few days earlier too, but we can't promise that at this point.