Theocracy Update 2/24/08

Matt Smith

THEOCRACY
Jun 11, 2004
Athens, GA
www.theocracymusic.com
Hey Guys--
Sorry for the long time between updates, but there hasn’t been anything to update. We decided to give Solid State (the label that wanted to put the record out) until the end of January to get something going, or we were going to have to look elsewhere. We’ve all been waiting way too long already. They understood and said that the most recent band they signed took over a year for the deal to be finalized and put into motion, so they admitted that it’s probably for the best. Basically, the guy there who initially contacted us is the one guy who’s into melodic Metal (the label is traditionally known for hardcore bands, and we would have been their first in this style), so he had an uphill battle ahead of him anyway.

So where does that leave us? That’s what we’re trying to decide. There are small labels interested, but I’m not sure how much they could really do for us, especially with the abysmal state of the industry in this day and age. We’re considering putting it out on our own as well, which makes more and more sense as things get worse and worse in the music business, but of course that takes a chunk of money and careful planning, to say the least. So we’re discussing our options. I’m really sorry about all this, but it’s completely been beyond our control up to this point.

We have a very promising plan for artwork and layout for the album, so if that works out, you’ll definitely get top-notch artwork and packaging when you finally get it in your hands. That’s important to me, so I’m excited about that.

Further updates as they develop...

Thanks for your patience,

Also, just so you know this hasn't all been wasted time, I've still been writing stuff for the third album, and by the time I finish fleshing out all the ideas I've started, I think we'll easily have too much material for one disc.

I saw the "throw us a bone" thread and I agree...I can't do much with the stuff from the new album until the label thing is sorted, but hopefully this week I'll start demoing a couple more third album tracks...maybe I could post one of those demos when it's done? I know it's not the new album, but if you guys would be intersted in that, let me know. At least it will be SOMETHING.

I think I can say on behalf of everyone who checks this board that we're interested :). Thanks so much for the update Matt, that's too bad about Solid State I think that would have been pretty sweet. I'd love to see them sign you guys on instead of all these lame pseudo metal bands they've got nowadays. I'll pray that God will give you wisdom, vision and direction in deciding where to go from here. Can't wait till He sorts all this out for you guys.

God bless
Nate

Thanks for this update, Matt; I'm sure this coming album will be a killer release, and that God will work everything out for the best. It's good to know that you're still marching on with the songwriting!

Like the other forumers have said, I know that God will work all of this out for you guys. This CD has a great work to accomplish - edifying believers and speaking to sinners about Christ. This delay is either God teaching you a lesson you need to know for later or the Devil throwing a monkey wrench in your work for God. Stay strong guys! God will see you through and you will be repaid for your labor :). I will keep praying for you.

If you want to give us a demo of the third album, I say bring it on!:headbang:

Matt,

I hope I speak for us all when i say we want what is best for Theocracy, because, in the end, that's what's best for Theocracy fans.

I plan to make the second album (Skeletor goes to Mars) the first release-date album I've bought since Angra's Aurora Consurgens. Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the update. Definitely looking forward to some great music.

I'll support whatever you do with the album Matt....and am glad that you are interested in the artwork and layout of the cd being top notch. I'm old fashioned and love having the complete package when i get a new album.

I think Theocracy could easily get a release on a big label....They are so much better than the majority of bands on many large metal labels. I'd love for you to be on a label like Roadrunner with bands like Dream Theater but unfortunately the big labels seem to overlook such great bands like Theocracy.

Tourniquet are having big trouble with getting a new label themselves and may end up doing their new album independantly.

Wow. Solid State is a label I'd never expect you guys to sign to. Haha. They used to put out some amazing hardcore albums back in the day, though. Or Tooth & Nail, I should say, since the division of Solid State came a bit more recently. Some of my all-time favorite hardcore were released by them. No Innocent Victim, Overcome, and Strongarm, to name a few, released awesome albums through this label. But they also released stuff by metalcore bands in recent years, so I guess Theocracy wouldn't be an extreme stretch.

Anyway, have you guys tried Retroactive Records? I think they've done a really good job for Ultimatum. Want me to ask Scott (the singer), and see what his opinion on them is?

Sure man, any help is always appreciated. Thanks for the kind words, guys!
This is what Scott said:

They seem to be doing OK for us. They advertise in HM, Heavens Metal and some other fanzines. They put out several compilations to promote the CD. They send out free compilation CDs with all Heaven's Metal. They sent out tons of copies of the CD to review. They have decent distribution, but to be honest, I don't think it's as good as Solid State.
You guys are a bit bigger than Ultimatum, though. So what works for them might not work for you. Plus Retroactive Records does a lot of Christian rock/metal reissues. But hey, it might not hurt trying to talk to them.

Matt, I don't know of very many bands or artists that go out of their way to give updates to the fans in quite the same way that you did here. Thanks for letting us know the situation.

I understand how you feel; when you create something that's kick ass and you want to share it with the world (and hopefully get paid too :cool:) yet you need to do it the right way and the best way possible and it gets frustrating when nothing's quite panning out like it should.

Just wanted to say good luck, and I'll say a prayer for the band and the situation. I know this will be worth the wait! :headbang: