Things you hate about your neighborhood

Pitiless Wanderer

Jun 14, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
I'm living in an Indonesian village currently and by god if the local Imam doesn't shut the fuck up I'm going to clip the wires to the fucking speakers at his mosque. He's been going nonstop since 4am. I've got 8 mosques in a 2 mile radius. The call to prayer is just a wall of sound made up of screeching children and scratchy voices of the Imams. It's a joke.

Pretty much nothing. A decade ago there were a lot of shitty pseudo-wealthy subhumans here with all of their entitled and obnoxious teenaged children, but most of them had their homes foreclosed on. It's all peace and quiet now. I love antisocial guard-gated suburban living.

Nothing, I live in a suburban gated community. No crime, no annoying neighbors, there's a 24hr grocery store that's a five minute drive down the street and it also sells liquor. So yeah.

I'm living with my parents in a really nice town conveniently located in a major city, so honestly no complaints about the neighborhood. I hope someday I can live somewhere this nice on my own.

Average cost of a pint (and most other things) is tied with central London for being the most expensive in the UK.

Lack of meaningful 24 hour public transport.

Lack of mountains.

My current living situations are shit. I'm living on the floor at my grandmothers, who is a disgusting horder. I'm waiting for my picky as fuck mother to find a god damn apartment. I used to live with my dad but he lives with my older brother and my sister-in-law now. On top of this my personal life is shit, and I don't really have anything to do. I'm pretty much done with my secondary schooling and I'm not going to go to CC yet (probably not for another year), nor do I have a job. I've been selling shit on eBay for money.

At least I've got weed.

My neighborhood is often ranked as one of the "best" cities to live in the country (for bourgeois young professionals, of course). For the most part, I like it: spacious apartment, quiet neighborhood, literally across the street from the train into downtown. Oh, and we have a Wegmans; fucking awesome.

On the downside, going out to eat can be expensive and there are limited options. There are many moments when my wife and I miss the North End.

My neighborhood is loud. We live on a pretty major street, So there are always cars and fire trucks going by. There's also a high school across the street, so we have to deal with the kids and douchebag parents that take all of the parking.

However, it is a decent neighborhood, and our rent is way below the average for most of Long Beach, so at least we have that going for us

In the past six months a cop was shot, a well loved convenience store owner was shot and killed, and a lady murdered her retarded son, on our street. Its an Italian dominated area, pretty Republican with lots of responsible gun owners, but theres definitely some trash and crime. Really looking forward to getting that new apartment soon, its much further from Detroit. And on the water!

Also, I can't fathom why you live in Indonesia. Are you trying to expand your cultural horizons or something? Doesn't seem to be going well.

My neighborhood is good. I just don't have a favorite pub at the moment. But it doesn't bug me too much because I usually drink at the campus during the semester. Today I had my first beer at 10AM after the class, in the campus club/pub and the prof saw me there and smiled as he went for a coffee.

My area is fine. Only qualm is that there are several mentally ill/schizophrenic people who just wander the streets, sometimes screaming uncontrollably.

Also, I can't fathom why you live in Indonesia. Are you trying to expand your cultural horizons or something? Doesn't seem to be going well.

I've lived in 5 different countries in the last 7 years so I've expanded them enough. I'm here now volunteering for the government for 2 years. It's probably the worst place I've lived, but there are some positives. Cost of living is a joke, the people are impossibly friendly and it's safe, and the language is very easy to learn. It's just so loud, miserably hot and the mosquitoes are insane. I might leave next year, a year early. Haven't decided.

I've lived in 5 different countries in the last 7 years so I've expanded them enough. I'm here now volunteering for the government for 2 years. It's probably the worst place I've lived, but there are some positives. Cost of living is a joke, the people are impossibly friendly and it's safe, and the language is very easy to learn. It's just so loud, miserably hot and the mosquitoes are insane. I might leave next year, a year early. Haven't decided.

Where else did you live?

Where else did you live?

Well I'm American so I count the U.S. I've lived in London 3 or 4 different times, studying and working. I lived in Italy, in Rome, with my ex girlfriend. I also lived in China for almost 3 years before I came to Indonesia. And I didn't choose to live here. Uncle Sam told me I had to come here. Actually it was here or the Philippines but I chose here.

Loud dog next door. It's a long commute. Other than that this neighborhood is pretty ideal. Forested, quiet except for the dog sometimes. No neighbors on 2 sides. Room to garden. Friendly shopkeeps.