this bums me out

killing deer(legally vermin) in MD and PA is totally different in my opinion, since the natural predators in the area have already nearly been wiped out. Trying to adjust the moose population by killing off predators just seems backwards to me. Basically yeah I agree with Sam.

i wasn't so much arguing with you, amanda, as saying that i think people have an obligation to do SOMETHING. to kind of head off the "leave everything be" arguments at the pass.

i mean, you could say 'there will always be bad leaders' and use that as an excuse to never vote. you know? it's like people always wait for the absolute. but there isn't one, so they blow it off b/c it's not neatly packaged.

Static said:
FUCK KILLING ANIMALS.

I'm totally against anyone who would hurt any creature.

But fuck dammit, I still can't help but eat meat. I'd never, ever, ever personally hurt an animal though.

Wow, that's EXACTLY my feeling. Maybe we were separated at birth.

The wolf thing completely and utterly sucks. The idiots obviously don't know that the moose population won't keep going up. I's eventually going to level off because of lack of food, and as long as we don't make the wolves go extinct, the process will just keep repeating itself. This is stupid beyond stupid. I hope the boycott works and the law will be repealed. Sport hunting is the sickest and most inhumane thing on the planet. It's not to help the moose population, it's to make fat loads of money off killing the wolves for farmers and selling their fur. I really hate people a lot of the time. I wish I could do something about it, but, alas, I am only able to express my opinion through this metal-related talk forum for people on my computer.

I'm still not clear on how someone can be opposed to killing animals and not be completely disgusted by meat. Is it, maybe, indicative of the huge divide between the food on your plate and its source that's a feature of the modern, Western, non-farm-oriented world?

That's exactly it. I couldn't bring myself to kill a rabbit for food if, say, I was living in the wild by myself. That's too hard for me. The fact that all my meat that I get either at the store or at a restaurant looks nothing like the original or doesn't show any techniques used in the killing of that animal makes it stomachable. Although writing this has kind of put me off a bit. It's strange that way. I wouldn't even hurt a bug on purpose, I'm that sensitive.

sooo are you either about to become a vegetarian, or about to scrap your moral objections to killing animals? i think what i don't understand is the acceptance of that contradictory middle ground as okay, as opposed to changing to one side or the other.

If I were in the wild, I would kill animals for food easily. I'd actually prefer to live in a society like that where I could know where the meat I am eating came from, it's a bit scary to ponder it in our society. I have no moral qualms about killing animals, they do it to each other so why shouldn't I? I don't think life is sacred by any means, and I don't think that it's worth saving by its nature.

i don't think life is sacred, either. killing living things is absolutely impossible to get away from--even the strictest vegan causes holocaust-level animal death and torment in the production of vegetables and even walking down the street (which is why Jainists, vegan as fuck, will not walk anywhere without a little sweeper broom to clear as many bugs away as possible).

human life is different, i think. human life is also like 0.001% of all life on this planet, though, so i don't think it's accurate to claim a respect for the preservation of life in general if you're just talking about not murdering people.

and i'm not being critical of veg*nism--quite the opposite. i think it's much better and more noble than the "middle ground" that i think 90% of humans seem to exist in.