this bums me out

I too am surprised at people who seem so adamently opposed to hunting etc, but still eat meat. there comes a time when you need to put your beliefs in practice, y'know. I spend a good deal of extra money supporting sustainable agriculture, buying free-range veg-fed eggs, etc...

I'd kill for meat. I think it is much more sane to kill for you own food than to let 'the man' taking care of it for you. Not only you are sure of the quality of the product you eat but you fulfill your animal instincts. No guns though, bows and knifes are all fair game.

Then again I am the one not opposed to eat human flesh, regularly.

As for killing wolves from helicopters, it is stupid and takes out any of the "sport" aspect of hunting that hunters seem to be so fond about. It is fishing with a dynamite stick.....

why bows and knives but not guns? i would say the opposite, because bows and knives mean you're making hunting into a game, rather than utilitarian killing for what you're eating. there's no reason not to use the best and cleanest means available unless you're buying into the concept of masculine sport-hunting.

and don't feed me the "it gives the animals more of a chance" line. it's fishing with three sticks of dynamite instead of four. and, again, "evening the odds" reinforces "hunting as a game".

xfer said:
why bows and knives but not guns? i would say the opposite, because bows and knives mean you're making hunting into a game, rather than utilitarian killing for what you're eating. there's no reason not to use the best and cleanest means available unless you're buying into the concept of masculine sport-hunting.
I agree with you that they are the best available but the cleanest I don't. Guns make a mess like you wouldn't believe. You lose a lot of meat because you cook a lot of it at the point of impact. Add the fact that you pour lead into something you want to eat. And I don't like guns, for any purposes.

I don't know as there's any truly "clean" way to hunt. an animal can be maimed or injured by a bullet as easily as a broadhead arrowhead. but I do know one thing; the success of an archer bringing down a deer is very difficult. my mom was Vermont indoor women's archery champion one year, and my dad was her instructor. in their deer hunts in TX, they never hit one deer.

depends what you mean by "as easily". the simple fact is that if you are shot with a gun you are much more likely to be instantly killed than if you're shot with an arrow. you will also bleed to death quicker if you're not killed outright.

bow hunting is tough as FUCK. it's a challenge, and a game.

perhaps the strongest argument against being a hunter is that if you were one, you'd be lumped in with this guy
nugent.jpg

ted nugent was the spokesman for my aunt's archery and hunting store for over 3 years. in tennessee. not sure if i ever mentioned that before. GO ARCHERY WORLD!

see that's the funny thing. everyone assumes my family is a bunch of bleeding heart liberals and i just followed suit. the truth is, at age 7, i became vegetarian and everyone thought i was the antichrist because they were busy out shooting bambi and dragging it back to our basement to gut.
fuck it.

xfer said:
sooo are you either about to become a vegetarian, or about to scrap your moral objections to killing animals? i think what i don't understand is the acceptance of that contradictory middle ground as okay, as opposed to changing to one side or the other.

Why should I be forced to go to one side or the other? I don't think I should change my beliefs to conform to what others (society) have determined what you should be. I'm perfectly happy with my views on this, and it's not like I'm trying to avoid being one or the other, it's just the way I am. I actually tried being a vegetarian last spring, but it didn't work out too well. My main argument to why I feel this way is that nature intended for us to kill animals. That's what were made to do. It's part of our nature to kill an animal and eat. The thing is, society has grown in such epic proportions (population-wise and technology-wise) that the way we do now doesn't require a good majority of us to have any emotional attachment to animals thanks to a new "harvesting" (ugh, creepy word) technique of putting all the animals we eat on farms and then throwing them in the grinder. The fact that I don't kill the animal is really the deciding factor. I literally can't do it. The fact that I don't kill animals to get my meat is what places me in the middle.

Crap, now I feel sad again.

xfer said:
i don't think life is sacred, either. killing living things is absolutely impossible to get away from--even the strictest vegan causes holocaust-level animal death and torment in the production of vegetables and even walking down the street (which is why Jainists, vegan as fuck, will not walk anywhere without a little sweeper broom to clear as many bugs away as possible).

human life is different, i think. human life is also like 0.001% of all life on this planet, though, so i don't think it's accurate to claim a respect for the preservation of life in general if you're just talking about not murdering people.

and i'm not being critical of veg*nism--quite the opposite. i think it's much better and more noble than the "middle ground" that i think 90% of humans seem to exist in.

I don't really think life is that sacred either. It was a matter of (extreme) luck that life was ever able to form on Earth. The thing is, the fact that human evovled to the point where they feel true and intense emotion separates us from the rest of the living world. Some people don't feel shit when they shoot a deer, but people like would be seriously traumatized if I did that. Animals, on the other hand, don't feel shit either when they kill an animal. They're programmed to do that. The addition of emotion into the mix takes it up a level to where there will be separation of opinion and feeling concerning hunting and whatnot.

BTW, hunting for sport is just fucking wrong and distasteful. Just want to throw that out there for extended conversation.