This Godless Endeavor

ElectricWiz

Steal Your Face
Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
There have already been threads on this album, I think I even started one myself. Ah well.

It's just that I can't get the damned thing out of my CD player. Nevermore has always been a good band, hell, a great band. But this, I think, is there Master of Puppets. Every song is fantastic. The musicianship is awesome, the production great. The albums is kind of topical too, in that there are references to Warrel's recent health scare etc., or so I think....I'm pretty sure that the Psalm of Lydia is all about that. Oh, and there is the neat reference in the title track to the Poe poem from which, I assume anyway, they got their name.

There was a clear step forward with every album. I include Enemies reality in that. Though the songs were not as strong as the previous, it was a step forward in musicianship.

I remember VERY WELL when Master of Puppets came out. It just felt like a plateau. With so much saturation and so much having already been "done," these days, those plateaus are harder to see, but I really think, at least within their own career, Nevermore have reached one.

I can't even imagine what could come out from now to the end of the year to beat this for album of the year. This is Nevermore's year in my book.

Damn this album rules.

There, I said it. Ha.
:hotjump: :hotjump: :hotjump: :hotjump: :hotjump: :hotjump: :hotjump:

ElectricWiz said:
I can't even imagine what could come out from now to the end of the year to beat this for album of the year. This is Nevermore's year in my book.

Indeed, it is a great record.

However, with the new Opeth album set to unleashed upon the masses, I think Nevermore's status as album of the year will soon slip.
In my view, Opeth already has released THREE "plateau" albums; three Masters of Puppets (My Arms, Still Life and Blackwater Park).

Again, in my view, Opeth is untouchable. They are the bluest flame of metal today.

Actually, it's cool you brought this up SoundMaster. I'm an Opeth fanatic, pretty much. I agree with you about your estimation of those albums too. I think their stuff is amazing. It's waaaaay to soon to say about the album, but I'm a little underwhelmed by The Grand Conjuration (downloaded from iTunes.) I'm crossing my fingers that in the context of the album it will be better somehow. It's not a bad tune, I'm just surprised by how much I'm not listening to it. In my eyes Opeth can do no wrong, thus far, which is what surprises me all the more. My reaction to that new song just has not been strong. Between Opeth and Nevermore I'd pick Opeth every time.....which is really a testament to that new Nevermore record. It stands on its own merit and has me thinking it will (possibly) be the album of the year. We'll see when the Opeth record comes out. I'm quite accustomed to eating my words. Ha. Really, I hope you're right.

Anyway, cool to see you testifying about Opeth as they really don't come up here that much, and their whole output is fantastic. I actually rate Blackwater Park up there with Number of the Beast and Master of Puppets. In my initial post here I almost said, "this is the best new record I've heard since Blackwater Park...." Haha. Wish I had now.

ElectricWiz said:
Actually, it's cool you brought this up SoundMaster. I'm an Opeth fanatic, pretty much. I agree with you about your estimation of those albums too. I think their stuff is amazing. It's waaaaay to soon to say about the album, but I'm a little underwhelmed by The Grand Conjuration (downloaded from iTunes.) I'm crossing my fingers that in the context of the album it will be better somehow. It's not a bad tune, I'm just surprised by how much I'm not listening to it. In my eyes Opeth can do no wrong, thus far, which is what surprises me all the more. My reaction to that new song just has not been strong. Between Opeth and Nevermore I'd pick Opeth every time.....which is really a testament to that new Nevermore record. It stands on its own merit and has me thinking it will (possibly) be the album of the year. We'll see when the Opeth record comes out. I'm quite accustomed to eating my words. Ha. Really, I hope you're right.

Anyway, cool to see you testifying about Opeth as they really don't come up here that much, and their whole output is fantastic. I actually rate Blackwater Park up there with Number of the Beast and Master of Puppets. In my initial post here I almost said, "this is the best new record I've heard since Blackwater Park...." Haha. Wish I had now.

Yes, it's sad that there do not appear to be many Opeth fans here.
I'm sure the death vox are the reason.

As for The Grand Conjuration, I actually quite like that song. It's not 'epic', but it friggin' rocks! Great sound, too.
I've read some reviews and they all call it the weakest song on the record, so we'll be alright, I think!!

You and I see to like a lot of the same bands, from what I can tell.
Can you list your favs (out of curiosity)?

SoundMaster said:
You and I see to like a lot of the same bands, from what I can tell.
Can you list your favs (out of curiosity)?

Yeah, I've noticed that too. Anyway, the list. I'll keep to just the metal, or at least "heavy," stuff, but I have a pretty broad taste in that area. My favorites range from old-school to new classic sounding things....to some of the more "alternative," varieties of heavy music. This is the stuff that always seems to form the core of my collection.

In no particular order then:

Mercyful Fate
Nevermore
Black Sabbath
Hammers of Misfortune
The Lord Weird Slough Feg
Iron Maiden (Bruce's later solo stuff too)
John Arch (more-so than Fates Warning even)
ISIS
Opeth
Tool
YOB (honorable mention. Too new to be a stalwart classic yet)
Manilla Road (just discovered)
Saxon
I'm sure I'm leaving out a couple that I think of as essential....but I'm at work and not near my CDs....ha. Of those, I'd say my BIG 3 these days are ISIS, Opeth and Tool. Opeth, for me, has THE most consistent run of good albums in recent years. One of the best metal bands of all time.

....and of course all the bands that have come and gone through the years (for me anyway) like:
early Slayer
early Metallica
Venom
Rainbow
King Diamond
even some of the old Manowar stuff
and 100 more....

Basically, if it's heavy I'll give it a try. Of course, above I'm leaving out the obvious stuff (but not so heavy metal) like Zeppelin and Deep Purple, and on down the line. Also, I went through a heavy early death phase (ala Possessed etc.), and a doom phase (Electric Wizard, Warhorse, Acid Bath). All this stuff still goes in the player from time to time.

For me, the top three metal albums of all time are Master of Puppets, Number of the Beast, and Blackwater Park. I think time will prove that last one to be so....I really do. Mercyful Fate Mellissa would be #4. I'd have to think on #5.

And there's the less obvious stuff (and not so metal) like the Mars Volta, Wishbone Ash, Hawkwind, all that.

I'm certain I left out some stuff that is very close to my heart. Also, I won't bother mentioning all the stuff like Anthrax or whatever that I listened to as much as the next guy, but only felt passionate about for small bits of time.

I'd be interested in seeing your list too, of course. Especially since I'll no doubt say, "Ah shit, I forgot them...yeah, they rule...." all that shyte. Haha. I tend to gravitate to underground stuff, and as I look at my above lists they look suspciously mainstream somehow. Hmmm.

Man, I sure do likes me some Heavy Metal.

ElectricWiz said:
Yeah, I've noticed that too. Anyway, the list. I'll keep to just the metal, or at least "heavy," stuff, but I have a pretty broad taste in that area. My favorites range from old-school to new classic sounding things....to some of the more "alternative," varieties of heavy music. This is the stuff that always seems to form the core of my collection.

In no particular order then:

Mercyful Fate
Nevermore
Black Sabbath
Hammers of Misfortune
The Lord Weird Slough Feg
Iron Maiden (Bruce's later solo stuff too)
John Arch (more-so than Fates Warning even)
ISIS
Opeth
Tool
YOB (honorable mention. Too new to be a stalwart classic yet)
Manilla Road (just discovered)
Saxon
I'm sure I'm leaving out a couple that I think of as essential....but I'm at work and not near my CDs....ha. Of those, I'd say my BIG 3 these days are ISIS, Opeth and Tool. Opeth, for me, has THE most consistent run of good albums in recent years. One of the best metal bands of all time.

....and of course all the bands that have come and gone through the years (for me anyway) like:
early Slayer
early Metallica
Venom
Rainbow
King Diamond
even some of the old Manowar stuff
and 100 more....

Basically, if it's heavy I'll give it a try. Of course, above I'm leaving out the obvious stuff (but not so heavy metal) like Zeppelin and Deep Purple, and on down the line. Also, I went through a heavy early death phase (ala Possessed etc.), and a doom phase (Electric Wizard, Warhorse, Acid Bath). All this stuff still goes in the player from time to time.

For me, the top three metal albums of all time are Master of Puppets, Number of the Beast, and Blackwater Park. I think time will prove that last one to be so....I really do. Mercyful Fate Mellissa would be #4. I'd have to think on #5.

And there's the less obvious stuff (and not so metal) like the Mars Volta, Wishbone Ash, Hawkwind, all that.

I'm certain I left out some stuff that is very close to my heart. Also, I won't bother mentioning all the stuff like Anthrax or whatever that I listened to as much as the next guy, but only felt passionate about for small bits of time.

I'd be interested in seeing your list too, of course. Especially since I'll no doubt say, "Ah shit, I forgot them...yeah, they rule...." all that shyte. Haha. I tend to gravitate to underground stuff, and as I look at my above lists they look suspciously mainstream somehow. Hmmm.

Man, I sure do likes me some Heavy Metal.

This erie...reading your post gave me the chills.
It appears as if we've walked a similar musical road!

To explain:
My first exposure to metal was through the popular bands of 1983-1984: Quiet Riot, Motley Crue, Ratt, Scorpions, Twisted Sister, Def Leppard - the bands that were dominating MTV, at that time. Of course, I was already into music...typical pop of the day, but once I heard these bands I felt like I stumbled across gold!

Fast forward a few months: a local radio show is broadcasting a special on Heavy Metal. Let's just say that show played the following CLASSICS of metal and I was hooked (line and sinker): "Metal Gods" (Priest), "I Dont Know (Ozzy) and "Icarus" (Maiden).

I, too, experienced all of the major "movements" as they progressed, but I was always riding the wave BEFORE my friends. I was into Slayer BEFORE "Reign in Blood"; into Metallica BEFORE "Master"; into Megadeth BEFORE "Peace Sells", etc.
I dabbled in death metal but quickly grew bored as I thought it was a 'dead end' street...it wasn't a progress.

I've always had periods, that generally lasted for a few years, where one band rose to prominence and assumed the role of my "fav band":
Maiden 1984-1988
King Diamond / MFate 1989-1991
Led Zep 1991-1993 (and really all the day through today, but I've played them out so much they get little 'air time')
My Dying Bride 1993-1997
Opeth 1997-2001
Porcupine Tree / Katatonia 2001-2003
Deep Purple 2003

In the early 90s as metal grew stale/stagnant, I discovered the great goth/black/heavy melancholy bands which, I felt, literally saved metal....the emotion, progression, energy, etc., that these bands created was refreshing, to say the least.

Now, I'm into practically ANY thing that's heavy....and that doesn't necessarily translate into distorted guitars. I consider Dead Can Dance, Depeche Mode (post 1986) and Portishead among the heaviest bands ever!

So, as of today, my all time favs are:
Led Zep / Deep Purple / Black Sabbath / Pink Floyd
Maiden / Priest / Rainbow / Accept / AC.DC (Bon Scott era) / Queensryche
My Dying Bride / Opeth / Anathema / Gathering / In the Woods / Katatonia
Dio / Glenn Hughes

My fav albums are:
1) Heaven and Hell
2) Somewhere in Time
3) Turn Loose the Swans - My Dying Bride
4) Blackwater Park - Opeth
5) Omnio - In the Woods
other notables are: Awaken the Guardian, Alternative 4 (Anathema), Last Fair Deal Gone Down (Katatonia), Lightbulb Sun (Porc Tree), Badlands (Badlands), Gutter Ballet (Savatage), and of King Diamond's first 5 solo albums, and, of course, Melissa and Oath; any of the 1st 6 Zep and Sab records, and any of the 4 Mark II Purple albums.

Being that you like Opeth, it's absolutely mandatory that you check out the following two releases, which are as groundbreaking as anything Opeth ever released:
Omnio - In the Woods
Turn Loose the Swans - My Dying Bride

As an aside, I saw your thread regarding Manilla Road, a band I'd literally NEVER heard of, checked out a few samples and proceeded to order their last two albums! They should arrive this week!

And, ironically, I was poised to post a new thread today regarding the absolute brilliance of 1997+ Saxon. I love the classics, but their recent outout just defines metal, IMO. Heavy, melodic, no frills, no cheese/pretension. And i really only "discovered" Saxon last summer. I'd never given them a shot until then.

I'm currently totally DIGGING bands that I've discovered this year:
RUSH and GLENN HUGHES. I'm sure Rush needs no introduction. Glenn Hughes, while you probably know of him, is special. The man's solo albums are simply amazing! It's got a great funk/metal vibe, and above all, immense songwriting. The man should be a household name. Sadly, however, he's not. You really should check out his latest "Soul Mover". Unreal!

Ah, for the love of metal....I could go on for hours.

Wow is right man. Especially since you kinda filled in the stuff I left out.
My first love was KISS, a love long since past. I was so young that I traded my stormtrooper toys to my brother for Alive II. I just wanted rock! Haha. Anyway, next came the advent of cassettes in my life. AC/DCs For Those About To Rock was my first cassette, and that's pretty much when I fell over the edge. Ironically, I own not one AC/DC album today. Anyway, I remember all too well the era you mentioned: Quiet Riot, Motley Crue, Scorpions....all the bands you named. I was mad for them all. I remember staying up late to catch Rock You Like Hurricane on a show called Friday Night Videos. The late night metal/radio show I stumbled upon came out of a small town (near my small town) and introduced me to Accept's Balls To The Wall, Priest, and other heavy stuff. The day I bought The Number of the Beast pretty much changed my life, I'd say. Oh, and I loved Twisted Sister. I heard You Can't Stop Rock and Roll on some various artists thing and was crazy for it. Stay Hungry came out not much later. Also, I remember when Pyromania came out. It wasn't like now, no Internet as you well remember. So, metal was metal and you just took what you found. At various times i was a huge fan of the Scorpions. I dropped Motley Crue after Shout At The Devil, but was very into them in that period. I thought Pyromania was great. Then I kinda slid into the Slayer and Metallica thing. I also loved Exciter, Megadeth, pretty much anything on Megaforce or Metal Blade really. Haha. I remember when The Garage Days revisited E.P. came out....I wore it out, and right on the heels of Master Of Puppets. I had liked Ride the Lightning a lot, but when Master came along....well, man I listened to that album soooooo much.
Incidentally, I got a similar vibe from Opeth when first I heard them just a few years ago. I even wrote to Mikael via email and he wrote me back a couple of times. This was when his email address was still posted on their website.

As to Saxon, my first album was Power and The Glory. I went back and bought the old stuff, which was really a whole nother phase and era, but cool as well. And, yes, the 97 stuff to now is awesome (even they admit they had their balls cut off in the middle there somewhere). I think that Unleash the Beast through Killing Ground are an amazing new era for the band, and Lionheart is one of their best ever.

Oh yeah, you'll love Manilla Road.

I will absolutely check out the bands you mentioned. For sure. In fact, I'll look some stuff up tonight, particularly the titles you mentioned.

Oh, and funny but I didnt mention Porcupine Tree who I dig a lot. I had to get the older stuff via import (and by copying a friends collection). They are NOT as well known as they should be. Did you see them on the tour with Opeth? They were awesome....both of them. I have a bootleg somewhere of both Opeth and PT from that tour, but from different shows ironically. Incidentally, I've had the good fortune to see Opeth three times; Once for Deliverance....once for Damnation (Porcupine Tree tour), and the tour after which was a nice mix of both, supporting the DVD I believe. Hell yes I'm psyched about the new album. The reason I came to Ultimate Metal in the first place was for the Opeth board, back when I joined, Feb/03.

Oh, and I've seen Rush a couple of times, but late in their career. Presto and Roll the Bones tours. I do like them a lot.

Manilla Road would be my biggest discovery of late.

I think you'd like Hammers of Misfortune and Slough Feg, two San Francisco bands that play WORLD CLASS old school stuff. In fact, I know you'd like them.

I'm interested to hear as much as you have to say about all this.....

ElectricWiz said:
I will absolutely check out the bands you mentioned. For sure. In fact, I'll look some stuff up tonight, particularly the titles you mentioned.

Oh, and funny but I didnt mention Porcupine Tree who I dig a lot. I had to get the older stuff via import (and by copying a friends collection). They are NOT as well known as they should be. Did you see them on the tour with Opeth? They were awesome....both of them. I have a bootleg somewhere of both Opeth and PT from that tour, but from different shows ironically. Incidentally, I've had the good fortune to see Opeth three times; Once for Deliverance....once for Damnation (Porcupine Tree tour), and the tour after which was a nice mix of both, supporting the DVD I believe. Hell yes I'm psyched about the new album. The reason I came to Ultimate Metal in the first place was for the Opeth board, back when I joined, Feb/03.

Oh, and I've seen Rush a couple of times, but late in their career. Presto and Roll the Bones tours. I do like them a lot.

Manilla Road would be my biggest discovery of late.

I think you'd like Hammers of Misfortune and Slough Feg, two San Francisco bands that play WORLD CLASS old school stuff. In fact, I know you'd like them.

I'm interested to hear as much as you have to say about all this.....

If you do check out In the Woods, try to make sure that "Omnio" is the album you hear first. Their debut (Heart of the Ages) is, from what I understand, screeching black metal....and somewhat hard on the ears.
"Omnio", released just 2 years laters, is TOTALLY different. AMAZING vocals (imagine David Bowie combined with Mikael Ackefeldt's "clean" vocals), deep, emotional epic songs. It's a landmark album! It's THAT good. Their next release was waaaay too avant-garde for it's own good. It IS a good record - very good - but just not in the class of "Omnio". Finally, they released a compilation of sorts in 2000 (3x7 On A Pilgramage - an odd name indeed). But it makes sense: it combines their three 7" Eps onto one disc, along with a handful of amazing new songs.

My Dying Bride's magnum opus is 1993's "Turn Loose the Swans". When I first heard Opeth, I thought I'd found a "sister" band to MDB. Their music is actually not similar however. It's just that the vibe is their....eerily similar.
"Turn Loose the Swans" is dark, eerie, romantic, melancholy....too many adjectives can be used to describe this masterstroke of genius.
MDB's other albums all are great, as well, but this is their "Blackwater Park"!! I do hope you'll enjoy!

Finally, I see you mentioning Isis. I've heard a lot about them....particularly on the old Opeth & My Dying Bride boards, but have never heard the music. Is it really as avant-garde and progressive as I've heard? What's a good album to start with?

ElectricWiz said:

Old School as in Maidenesque or Priest-influenced?
Or old school as in Deep Purple, Rainbow, etc?

I'll def check both out either way.

Speaking of the Friday night video show you mentioned, I had some similar experiences at that time (early-mid 80s). Back before cable TV, you could swithc your TV over to what was called UHF or something like that, and access non-network tv shows. There was one named "The Metal Power Hour" or something, and they played, in addition to the popular Crue and Ratt videos, A LOT of obscure, almost underground stuff (early Raven vids, Grim Reaper, etc., and of course, the Maiden and Dio videos that MTV wouldn't touch). The first time I saw the "Run to the Hills" video I was awestruck!! There was this immense sense of utter power coming through....how could a rock band sound (and look) like this? I was blown away. Of course, today that video reaks of cheese, but we'll excuse them for that! LOL

Other things that blew me away were:
- my discovery of thrash. I thought Maiden and Priest were as heavy as you could be. I think the first thrash song I ever heard was Metallica's "Fight Fire with Fire". The intensity was so thick you could grasp it!

- the arrival of "Live After Death". I was huge into Maiden, of course, but when this was released, when I felt it in my hands, I perceived it as the Holy Grail! It's funny now to think back, but I was a 13 year old...and Dickinson/Harris can have that effect. The cover art, the hundreds of photos inside, ALL of the lyrics, Churchill's booming voice, the live version of "PHantom of the Opera"....I could have died a satisfied man (boy!) that day!!

- my discovery of Slayer. Just when you think Metallica and Megadeth can't be outshined, along comes my discovery of "Hell Awaits". Spine-tingling music. Slayer dominated my boom-box from about late '85 through '87.

- my early 90s discovery of My Dying Bride's "Turn Loose the Swans". By this point, metal had grown stale. It was "asleep". Maiden had released back to back clunkers (Prayer, Fear), Slayer & Queenrsyche were taking aeons to follow-up their MASSIVE 1990s classics (Empire and Seasons), Priest had just broken up, the hair bands over-saturated the airwaves, leading to the breath-of-fresh-air known as grunge, etc., but metal was just....lacking.
Then, upon dicovering "Turn Loose the Swans", it was alight again. It was progressive....true PROGRESS for metal. No album has since equaled it, IMO...although "Blackwater Park" is RIGHT there...neck and neck with it!

Jesus christ you guys got a lot of time to be posting all that shit! :D

Cliff Notes version for me:

EW and SoundM, your tastes are pretty similar to mine as I go for more of the heavy end of things as well. I also go for a lot of what SoundM described as the melancholy-esque bands, like The Gathering (older), Anathema, Paradise Lost, My Dying Bride, etc. Those bands truly kept the mid-90's interseting for me anyways.

I love Opeth, especially "Still Life", which has been almost equalled in "Blackwater Park" and "Deliverance". I have not heard any new songs yet but will blind-purchase this with no regret I'm sure.

I am a huge Nevermore fan and have seen them numerous times since 1998. TGE is a very good album, but still below "Dreaming Neon Black" (the best!) and "The Politics Of Exctasy". I just saw them on the Gigantour stop and they were amazing in 45 minutes+.

Jim Sheppard also has a lot of my respect as he is truly Metal to the bone (literally.) I'm sure all you Nevermore fans heard about the incident a few years back when Sheppard had that freak accident with the tour bus slamming on his fretting hand that nearly severed the finger entirely. Well, you would expect most people to cancel the tour all together, but not Sheppard. The very same night, Nevermore went on and Sheppard played in Lansing, Il with the rest of the band with a heavilly wrapped hand and a bottle of Jack Daniels near his feet to guzzle during the set. He was sweating like a pig in pain but they still played over an hour. To me, that was fucking awesome. Definitely one of the most dedicated things I've ever seen.

Nevermore and Opeth fucking rule! :headbang:

Love, luv luvin it!! Since the first listen Bittersweet feast has captured me, as well as all the others. Had a blast at Gigantour and now am jonsing for a complete Nevermore set!!! :hotjump: does the guy on the right look familiar :D
ariahflyer.jpg

Hey Soundmaster - quite notes here:

Slough Feg is kinda old school like Thin Lizzy meets Iron Maiden. That covers it pretty good. Hammers you've heard now a bit.

ISIS is what I'd call psychedelic metal. Very forward thinking. They are like Pelican with vocals and better production. I'd try the album Oceanic if you try them. The best thing I can say about them is that Oceanic is a VERY appropriate title for their album.

Putting in my order for stuff you mentioned this weekend. I'll compare notes with you when I get it.