This is bizarre.

spawn

Apr 14, 2001
Tori Amos is covering Raining blood by slayer on her next album.
According to MTV.com, "In an innovative attempt to examine sexual politics and identity, Amos recorded 12 songs written by men to show the difference in view when they're performed by a woman."

Now, keep in mind i have no problem with her covering the song, and im curious as hell to hear it....

But I HATE the way its turned into some kind of statement about "sexual identity". How can raining blood have anything to do with sexual politics and identity, unless she is trying to prove that guys are aggressive and that a woman doing it will suddenly make it heartfelt and thoughtful because males are too busy beating their chests like king kong to do that.
GRRRR that kind of stereotyping annoys the hell out of me! (Yes i realise I probably just stereotyped tori by assuming it will be a "ballad" style version, but you know what I mean right???)

Sorry if i got a little too deep and meaningful, im at work and im really bored so ive had longer to think about this than is healthy obviously :)

Moony, you should cover slipknot for your next song if tori's turns into a hit!

You know what this is dont you? Its sacriligious!!! :)
I think I need to lie down, the guys at work think im mad, but im right i tells ya!! :)

Maybe it's more with how people identify with the song, rather than how the song seems... will people look past the fact that it's a track by an extreme band just because it's performed by a female piano-poprock act?

And is she making a point about people's viewpoints rather than about the song?

Intriguing, no?:)

hmmm maybe Tom araya and Tori could perform a duet

Raaaaaaaaaaaaining blooooooooood ooooooohhhh
UPON A LACCERATED SKY !!!
Bleeeeeeeding it's horrrrrorrrorrr mmmmmm
CREATING MY STRUCTURE !!!
NOW I SHALL...reign in blooooooooooooood - Sung together :D

Aces: :lol: :lol: Now THAT would be different haha!

Mark: I doubt most people who would buy a tori amos album will have ever heard the song raining blood, so unless she puts who the original band was that sung it, most wouldnt know. Its showing HER viewpoint, yes, so I half agree with you :)
I wouldnt have had a problem with it at all if they had left out the ridiculous "sexual politics" crap! The only difference in view is the one she IMPOSES on the song, but anyway, ive crapped on enough :)

Maybe it will highlight that whenever a thrash band sings a song like Raining Blood it gets passed off as violent and corrupting to youth, but if a singer like Tori does it, it is more valid.

Tori's done some interesting stuff in her time. Nothing quite this extreme though. She's done duets with Maynard from Tool, along with a few other "interesting" covers, like Smells Like Teen Spirit and so on.

I've also heard Dream Theatre doing a cover of Tori's Winter.

I don't think it could be true, could you imagine those lyrics
:lol: 'pressure in your skull begins pushing through your eyes' :lol:

Gavin: Thats angel of death :) Though it would be very interesting to hear her do that to say the least!
Crossy: I laughed out loud so hard at work everyone thought i was mad when i read what you had written!!!:lol: :lol: :lol:
Troops: I think you are absolutely right about that, maybe she is trying to show the intent behind the lyrics is what seperates men and women. I dunno, im still trying to recover from crossys remark :lol:

If anyone even *thinks* of saying another word against Tori, Mr Wrathchild will be VERY cross indeed...

As Mark so correctly pointed out many moons ago, Ms Amos is an absolute goddess. She's done some amazing covers in her time (eg Smells Like Teen Spirit, If 6 was 9, Losing My Religion), so I'm really looking forward to hearing this. I don't know the original song, nor am I particularly fond of Slayer, but it should be interesting to say the least.

Now go and listen to Little Earthquakes and you'll see what I mean. This is my favourite Tori CD and also holds a very special place in my list of favourite albums ever. It's very heavy, but not in the "metal" sense of the word. After hearing this, you'll simply have to get Under The Pink and Boys For Pele as well.

W

All I know about her is she sang the song about the cornflake girl i think, am i right??

oh yea, for some reason when i read the thread i got Angel of death into my head, i guess Raining Blood would be more doable than angel of death,
Maybe she should do Alter of sacrifice, now that would be a
laugh.