This is off topic, but I had to share this...

Jasonic

Doom On!
Apr 14, 2004
West Burbs of Chicago
I think even Larry will understand why I had to post this off topic thread...

Look at this show coming March 12 to the Bottom Lounge:

KREATOR
VOIVOD
NACHTMYSTIUM
EVILE
LAZARUS A.D.

LOL I just read this on Blabbermouth and came here to the forum to post about this, you beat me to it!

Ummm yeaaaah I think it's safe to say that unless I am on tour or something at that time, I will most DEFINITELY be there. And it'll be cool to see the Evile guys again, nice blokes!!

DAMN IT!!!!

That show sounds amazing!!! I never thought I would see Kreator and Nachtmystium on the same bill!!

why do you guys get such awsome shows?

I'm the only one not jumping for glee here. Hahaha!

Hey, just like me not giving a crap about Nevermore in the other thread, it's all about preference.

Nothing wrong with not getting excited about something like this, if the bands don't float your boat.

The main reason I created this thread was simply because VoiVod is liked by many regulars on here.

And for any Kreator fans, if you have never seen them, they KILL live! :headbang:

i would asume so, they seem like they would put on a great live show.

Ironic that voivod is actualy the band I care least about there!

Man, I'd love to see Voivod, I have all their albums. They only played at Download here in the UK on their current tour, and I couldn't make it to that show.

Kreator are another band that have just hung in there and kept kicking ass. I really respect a lot of the German traditional metal and thrash bands for sticking to their guns through the 90s - don't know how it was in the US, but the UK was a bit of a wasteland for those genres at that time apart from a few underground bands.

Chicago sounds like a cool place for gigs from what I've seen on this board - I just need to get myself an apartment there and a private jet and I'll be able to get in on the action, lol. I'll have my people look into it

Well, as much as I love KREATOR, they are not guilt free of altering their sound to fit the times. Neither did DESTRUCTION. Though , you still have to respect those two, along with SODOM, for sticking through ALL the different phases and fads of metal throughout the years.

I haven't heard the latest KREATOR, but ENEMY OF GOD is solid throughout the entire disc.

One of the best shows of ALL time I ever attended was KREATOR and DESTRUCTION at Riley's Rock House in Aurora. It was like a festival atmosphere (people waving flags, primarily MEXICO, etc) within a small club.

I prefer Kreator live than on disc. If I listen to their more current stuff it's usually that live disc they put out a few years back. Enemy of God was good too. My favorite of theirs is a toss up between Terrible Certainty and Extreme Aggression. I went through a phase when I was around 16-17 years old of really worshiping Mille, I had the bullet belt, green army jacket, sleeveless Endless Pain shirt and everything. My harsh vocal style basically came from singing Kreator covers back then.

Thrash metal in general though is the music which didn't survive well for me over the years. From 1986 through the early 1990s I was a thrash maniac. But now honestly I rarely get the urge to listen to it much. I have certain favorite discs that will always stand the test of time of course. I used to listen to stuff like Destruction, Nuclear Assault, Sodom, Kreator, etc., on a daily basis. Now it's rare that I can even make it through one entire disc in one sitting. I don't think the music sucks it just doesn't interest me much anymore. I think I had a connection to it when I was young and it suited my attitude and mindset, but I just don't "feel it" anymore.

I've had a bit of a thrash renaissance over the last couple of years. I was into it at the time back in the day, but it got hard to find any underground metal releases at all in the UK in the early to mid 90s, so I lost track with a lot of bands. Also I found that as time went on there were a lot of thrash-by-numbers bands who all had similar riffs (all diminished stuff on the botom 3 frets) and songs, which put me off too. In the last couple of years I've replaced a lot of stuff I had on vinyl and have been getting back into Exodus (their recent albums have been excellent IMHO), Testament, Atomkraft, Destruction, Whiplash, etc. I'm also helping out in a friend's thrash band, so I've been getting back into playing and writing thrash stuff too.

It's cool to see younger new bands like Evile flying the thrash flag too. Loved "Terrible Certainty" and "Pleasure to Kill" by Kreator.