This is what I've been looking for

swords_of_scorn

New Metal Member
May 25, 2001
Cleveland
Visit site
I grew up a metal fan in the 80's, listened to verything from Ratt to Slayer, then discovered punk, industrial, and other college type music. I've always loved to get out my old metal albums now and again, but the only new metal that really turned me on were the death/grind bands like Entombed, Acid Bath and Buzzoven and other non-metal bands like Helmet and the Melvins. A friend of mine on the internet sent me a tape of Discouraged Ones, thinking that I might like it, considering my background (he called them "doom metal shoegazer" music - I'm a huge fan of bands like My Bloody Valentine and Spacemen 3). Well, he was right, the textured, layered riffing was very hypnotic, and the unpretentious vocals were quite a change of pace from the cookie monster growling or the operatic posteuring of so many 90's metal bands. I finally picked up "Tonight's Descision" and more recently, "LFDGD" - WOW :eek: .. I can't stop listening to these albums. Katatonia are a band that successfully blends a lot of the styles I have loved over the years... Metal, Industrial, Goth/Pop (bands like the Cure, Bauhaus and Joy Division) and Shoegazer bands like My Bloody Valentine, Catherine Wheel and Swervedriver. This is the best new unappolagetically METAL band I've heard in a very long time, and I'm so glad I was introduced to them. I guess it's time to check out some Opeth next... Oh, and you guys who haven't heard it should check out Cave-In's JUPITER. I think they should tour with Katatonia, even though they're from opposite sides of the musical spectrum, I think they're both doing some of the most interesting heavy music right now.. :D
-Mason

Originally posted by swords_of_scorn
This is the best new unappolagetically METAL band I've heard in a very long time, and I'm so glad I was introduced to them. I guess it's time to check out some Opeth next...
-Mason

They aren't that 'new' man. They've been around since the early 90's actually. Even though it's got growled vocals you have to check out 'Brave Murder Day'. It'll change your life!

Opeth are incredible too, although completely different. Their singer, Mikael Akerfeldt is the guy who does the growled vocals on 'Brave Murder Day'... although you probably already new that, right?

Katatonia are definitely amazing... welcome to the club of enlightened listeners.

Originally posted by requiem

They aren't that 'new' man. They've been around since the early 90's actually. Even though it's got growled vocals you have to check out 'Brave Murder Day'. It'll change your life!

Yea.. I should have said new to ME :) I'm glad I found this site. I can't find anyone to talk about these guys with, because none of my friends are into this kind of music. I'm new to this scene as well. I'll definatly grab BMD soon! Plus I do like well done growled vocals.. I love old Grave and Cannibal Corpse. Someone was talking about Bloodbath on another thread.. that they were doing "classic American Death Metal" - would that be like Possessed and Venom? Who would you consider to be 'classic' American Death Metal? Just curious :)
-Mason

the following cds are in my playlist rite now:

Saturnus - Paradise Belongs to You

Anathema - Judgement

Songs Ohia - Ghost Tropic

Daylight Dies - IDLE

Lacrimas Profundere - Burning: A Wish

Novembre - Classica

Yeah, how good is 'Classica' by Novembre! I love it. Especially track 3 'Nostalgiaplatz'. That song is so incredibly emotional...

Don´t forget to buy (in my opinion) their best album "Brave Muder Day":D

Here´s a list of bands to check:

° Samael - industrial/black metal
° Evoken - slow doom metal
° Bethlehem (the album S.U.I.Z.I.D.) - depressive dark metal
° Virgin Black - gothic, doom, fragile piano, emotional vocals
black metal-croaks
° Skepticism - slow doom
° Autumnblaze - dark/rock
° Shape of Despair - doom metal
° Six Feet Under - "True Carnage" death metal
° Nile - death metal
° Deinonychus - doom metal
° ...

Yes they play stoner-rock, but they are very very good at it!

Check out "orange", "lunchbox dialogues" and "chrome" -that's their new style! (in my opinion "orange" is the best)

btw. maybe i should mention that none from "the old band style" play in the new band, kind of odd! they just kept the name!