This makes me said... EZmix?

Yep, all those bundles I spent several hundred on a while back started appearing on the net. It's heart warming.

The only thing that has to *give* is that there has to be a higher incentive to purchase plug-ins legally than simply to be able to 'feel good' about it. I don't fucking feel good about it, nor do I gloat on my soapbox about how pirates are all scum. The product is there for free so people will take it, it's in their nature.

There has to be an incentive toward providing something with those plug-ins that cannot be had illegally. They need to start devising ideas to hold onto the worth of their IP. You cannot rely on the good will of your customer base. Most of the older guys who will actually pay for the product are not clued into cracking, nor where these things are distributed, so ultimately the loyal customer base gets shafted either due to their ignorance or their goodwill. The guys with the lack of morals will always win out here, and it's obvious why. The onus is on the developers to look after their IP for their sake, and for the sake of their customers. I can hardly imagine how bitter the guys who bought the Lexicon Native PCM Bundle feel after seeing it distributed all over the P2P sites. That's just balls.

Well, maybe its time to get a real job...

Just go back to hardware is all that they can really do. But that's not happening. I wish I could go back 3 years and tell myself "Dont you dare fuckin pursue music."

You know people beat up on UAD and ProTools for using DSP or essentially hardware dongles. But you pretty much have to. If it is any sort of key generation it will be hacked, simple hardware keys will be hacked.

If guys can figure out root kits and break apart viruses, cracking sort of stuff is child's play in comparison in most cases.

Also the more convenient it is, the easier it is to break.

Slate had a great idea with the unique digital signatures so they can go after them legally. But I worry about other countries that don't enforce pirating. Not to mention the amount of extra work. Worth it IMHO, but once it gets out in a harboring country, or bought under a pseudonym or front corp, it is gone.

If UAD didn't depend on the hardware, they would be prime targets for being cracked for sure! If you are good enough to write a full on emulator for a UAD DSP card, pirating software will not be your concern. You will be making big bucks working for a company. Well and you would probably already be hired by Analog or UAD.

Back OT, this EZ mix is pretty crazy. Just presets I am sure with some mapped parameters. Great idea and probably not much different than the auto-mastering stuff you see as well. Frighteningly it might be decent. But as we all know, everything starts at the source, mixing can only do so much. It is just spices, if the food is bad, it is bad. No spice will save it. So without good acoustics, instruments, mic placement, etc. you might get a good demo, but I don't think pros have anything to worry about.

Slate had a great idea with the unique digital signatures so they can go after them legally. But I worry about other countries that don't enforce pirating. Not to mention the amount of extra work.
If you really think about it, that protection isn't any better. It cannot be more than a mere deterrence. Do you think Steven has got the time to buy CD's and search for every bit of his samples and then even compares it to watermarks? I don't think so.

If you really think about it, that protection isn't any better. It cannot be more than a mere deterrence. Do you think Steven has got the time to buy CD's and search for every bit of his samples and then even compares it to watermarks? I don't think so.

Yeah all it takes is one person to pass out the watermarked program, and it's all over. Sure, that one person might get in trouble, But now the program is being distributed by thousands of people, whom will never be caught.

It did work for SSD for a while, but now that one copy is all over the place.

I don't think it's about finding out who's using pirated samples, but getting that guy that was stupid enough uploading them (he just needs to download them aswell and ZING there's somebody to call)

but he only gets the one who brought it into the warez sites, not the ones who are using it over and over!

Exactly. Which I why I agree, that the watermarking is pointless.

I know people bitch about hardware DSP, but that looks like the smart way to go.

How many hacked UAD and Duende plugins are floating around on the internet?

0. Zilch. None.

Yeah I agree. It is more a deterrence, that if you do it, you will get caught. But once it happens, it is gone. It spreads like wild-fire too. But originally it was just samples, not any software per se. I can't think of a way to lock down wav's and gog's without enormous hassle for the user and the developer.

Hardware DSP so far has been the best. But people complain about that as CPU's get faster and Hardware DSP is very expensive to develop, and expensive to buy. Even iLok, which once you have one, is really no big deal. I really prefer it since I can install plugs on other studio machines, laptop, etc. and I am good to go with my iLok, no worries. I wish all my plugs used it. But that has been cracked too.

Dark times.

So I was reading that the plugs in question actually run more efficiently without the iLock. Some people that already own them are replacing them with the cracked version. :loco:

more effectiently? what does that mean, exactly? faster?

I haven't had any problems with my plugs that use Ilok but I have never used Waves myself.