this thread has nothing to do with anthrax

Sir Phobos

BEATER OF ASS
Apr 10, 2005
Dallas Texas
I just got both super joint ritual albums
as well as replaced both DOWN albums
Now i keep in mind that both bands are primarliy the same members ( super joint , Pepper is not a memeber of) but every one else is the same
Can anyone really explain to me why the music of both Down albums are better then Super joint Ritual's
I popped super joint in and there is not a dispute as to how heavy they are
( punk rock riffs with the power of metal ) but it just seemed like a bunch of noise ( then I think back to pantera's "SANDBLAST") which is all anti hype how punk is dead and gone ( when super joint is playing, technically is punk)
but yet Down Seems more I dont know ,
They had more heart in there music for those 2 albums
iwas just curious if anyone here had any of iether bands albums and thought the same thing
( I wish i hadnt wasted the money on SJR)

I thought it was just me... so what happened why did they stop writing good music
I thought to go and post some of this at SJR's own home forum but well I didnt want to be a newby there and have them thinking I was just going to bash the band

To me Its phils Vocal ( and he actually sings in down ) Pepper Keenan of Course has this unique style
I hear both down albums and they feel some how timeless

After Vulgar Phil was my favorite vocalist. He's really gone downhill. He is either lazy or fucked-up or both; judging from last year's Ozzfest press conference, he's reeeeeeaaaallllly fucked up. Sad. He sounds like shit on the latest Superjoint. :yuk:

thats what I meant....Where did he really go?
or is this what Vinnie and Dime where talking about at the time ( read in an interview before down 2 was released)
they where saying he would show up and he wasnt there or he had this attitude
and wouldnt or couldnt sing

My only interest is more music histoy thing, I like seeing guys as friends from other bands do side projects but , a side project is just that a side project ( pepper didnt leave C.OC cause its his band)
So why did pantera loose there edge

I even bought Damage plan to check them out ( the new guy doesnt sound like he is trying to be Phil on one song)the rest he sounds like he is trying to be phil
looking down shaking head " I dont get it?"

yes down is an awesome band,those 2 albums are awesome,superjoint i can handle in small doses,2 totally diff bands so why compare,superjoint is where phil wants to be musically right now,although u could not rule out another down record,the way music is these days we need a real heavy rock record,its a pity electra dropped the ball and stopped promoting down just weeks after its release,that record could have been multi platinum.

I usually think albums like that are better underground ( its a side project ,its not supposed to make a million)
These things are experiments musically between friends toured with and such.It may be why Phill was so pissed at electra records ( gee they sell them selves all you got to do is search info for a person and see what they have recorded right?

and then it accurs to me ( the Zepplin title) Bustle in your hedgerow ( think lyrics to stair way to heaven, and some of the more expiremental stuff sounds mildly influenced by some of Zepplin music as well
I was shocked when I finally could sit and listen
Mustang cruising at 45, windows down, wind blowing, still hot, the sterio speakers arent melted yet, I heard every riff, every lyric..."dog tired" just smokes
I pull into the parking lot of my wifes job 2 weasels have her cornered asking about the future of there employment here ( there is talk we are closing or relocating, corp doesnt know what they are doing) doesnt matter

I pull up this bad as Heavy Jam just flowing from the car I shoot em the horns ( head banging almost into the steering wheel, oops) as they see her ride is here..and I must have looked a bit maniacal, she is too busy laughing as they drive off

it is so much better when the music sells itself, course word of mouth aint to bad iether ( maybe elctra felt if you knew who pantera was, or C.O.C..they wouldnt have to promote it)I knew of them because I listened to both bands

Sir Phobos said:
I usually think albums like that are better underground ( its a side project ,its not supposed to make a million)
These things are experiments musically between friends toured with and such.It may be why Phill was so pissed at electra records ( gee they sell them selves all you got to do is search info for a person and see what they have recorded right?

and then it accurs to me ( the Zepplin title) Bustle in your hedgerow ( think lyrics to stair way to heaven, and some of the more expiremental stuff sounds mildly influenced by some of Zepplin music as well
I was shocked when I finally could sit and listen
Mustang cruising at 45, windows down, wind blowing, still hot, the sterio speakers arent melted yet, I heard every riff, every lyric..."dog tired" just smokes
I pull into the parking lot of my wifes job 2 weasels have her cornered asking about the future of there employment here ( there is talk we are closing or relocating, corp doesnt know what they are doing) doesnt matter

I pull up this bad as Heavy Jam just flowing from the car I shoot em the horns ( head banging almost into the steering wheel, oops) as they see her ride is here..and I must have looked a bit maniacal, she is too busy laughing as they drive off

it is so much better when the music sells itself, course word of mouth aint to bad iether ( maybe elctra felt if you knew who pantera was, or C.O.C..they wouldnt have to promote it)I knew of them because I listened to both bands

elektra wanted another pantera record,thats why they stopped supporting it so soon after its release,a big mistake to piss phil off!

i will leave it alone now
Pantera didnt even know they wherent a band anymore ( it was a big shock to Vinnie and Dime both) rex knew cause he was doing down stuff ( down 2 at least).
that would be when and why Phill left then isnt it, He wanted Down to be a good thing, Record corp wanted a pantera album so he left? ( well I hadnt heard of pantera's break up till 2 years after wards, so what do I know)

just wasnt paying attention at the time