The Doom 3 and other games thread

Tranquillian

Svartmetallist
Oct 10, 2001
I'm absolutely salivating over the screenshots and movies released from Doom 3. The game is coming out on August 3rd in the US and august 13th here in Sweden. Is anyone else gonna buy/download it? It will probably be the scariest game ever made.

What else are you playing at the moment and what are you three favourite games of all time, for any system?

I'm playing Joint operations on the PC and Super Mario Sunshine on the Gamecube.

Favourite games ever:

1. Fallout 2 - PC, the best atmosphere in a game ever. As addictive as pussy and as much atmosphere as all Drudkh, Agalloch and Summoning albums together.

2. Zelda - A Link to the past - SNES
Absolutely incredible RPG-light from Nintendo. Replayable as no other game.

3. Diablo 2 - PC
The most addictive ActionRPG ever made. I would still play this online if it wasn't for all the cheating going on.

I was looking forward to Doom 3 but then I heard they could only manage less than 10 enemies on screen at once with an acceptable framerate.

Half-Life 2 will be great though, as will Rome Total War (ok, not as sure about this one). My comp won't be able to handle any new games though so I've been looking into consoles.

I'm currently playing little other than Ninja Gaiden and WarCraft 3.

Always playing the Romance of the Three Kingdoms series. Lately IX, VI and IV.

Other good stuff:
Summoner
Kessen
Madden Football
Sierra's City Building Series (PC)
Way of the Samurai
Dark Cloud
Age of Empires II and The Conquerors Expansion (PC)

I have a modified xbox and can get my hands on any game I want. The thing is that the more games you have access to, the less you play. You get to the point where it's so hard to choose a game that you just give up on playing altogether (do you spell it this way or is it all together?).

I've got Ninja Gaiden and Warcraft 3 + The Frozen Throne, great games. Blizzard has never made a single bad game.

How about listing your favourite games and why they are your favourites?

Doom 3 looks cool. It's not gonna be like the first two where you battle a billion dudes at once. Personally, I think 10 enemies is more than enough.

But, Half-Life 2 looks so much better, IMO. Supposedly it'll come out in September. They're just wrapping up the last few little bug fixes.

And now to upgrade my video card...

As for greatest games ever, there's so many to mention, but here's a few of my favorites:

Half-Life
Homeworld
Max-Payne 1 & 2
Starcraft
All Metroid games
All Zelda games

THere are plent more worth mentioning, but I'm tired.

Favorite games :
Starcraft : Broodwar
Half-life : Adrenaline Gamer Mod (kind of basic HL for 'pros' , and no I'm not one of them :))
First Zelda on Game Boy (how the fuck it's named arg?!)
Time Crisis 2
Smash Bros Melee (N64 version only)
Virtua Tennis

I have Unreal Tournament 2004, my first FPS since the original Wolfenstein about 12 years ago, and it will probably be another 12 years before I buy another. Doom 3 does look damn cool, I just don't have much of a use for more than one in that genre.

Top 3 games EVAR:
Final Fantasy VI
Xenogears
Ys Book I & II

Currently going through Morrowind (PC), Final Fantasy X, and soon to start Xenosaga. I'm very sporadic with video games, I'll play several hours a day for a few weeks straight, then won't touch a single game for 6 months or longer.

Tranquillian said:
2. Zelda - A Link to the past - SNES
Absolutely incredible RPG-light from Nintendo. Replayable as no other game.
True. Also: Secret of Mana, which is a tiiiny bit better than Zelda ]|[ and thusly the best game ever. For the PC, great games include Sim City 2000, Total Annihilation (as I've said numerous times before, no other RTS can touch this) and Fallout. Never played Fallout 2, but it's more of the same I've heard.

Zelda games rule, but I never played any of the gay 3D versions (which probably also kickass anyhow). I never beat Zelda II, that last place was too fucking hard for my bitch ass, Link was always too fucked up by the time I got to that last angel boss thingy.

Metroid and Super Metroid could annihilate my testes at 1000 paces.

Secret of Mana kicked ass, too bad the US got assfucked out of part 2 (which was technically part 3 blah balbha lbah).

The last game that I really got into was Morrowind, although I regret that I haven't pulled it out again lately, there is too much replay value, and each game is worth probably about 200 hours.

On the classics list

THE SECRET OF MONKEY ISLAND I & II

Jane's US Navy Fighters
Thief
various Interplay and SSI CRPGs

took our kids gamecube on holiday and was really getting into XIII + metroid prime
just completed MOH allied assault on pc which was fun

I generally love the simpler shooters like quake , unreal tournament , red faction etc

but the most addictive games ever are ssx 3 + ssx tricky on ps2
never thought I'd like a sport game but those turned out to be my faves

and of course ratchet + clank 2 which I completed 3 times on ps2 like an obsessed child

Unless Doom 3 is going to appear on PS2 someday then I simply won't be able to get it :( my PC is old an decrepid.

Right now I'm playing Final Fantasy 9 for the fourth time, just finished disc 1 earlier actually. I can't believe what a joy it still is to play after all this time. Can't wait to get to Bran Bal/Pandemonium again, the game totally turns you upside-down there. Classic.

I would be playing Vice City also but my copy is scratched to shit :mad: am anxiously awaiting San Andreas - it will slay! :D