Thoughts on Adagio - Underworld

Yngvai X

Dark Emperor
Jul 18, 2002
Woodland Park, NJ
www.myspace.com
Alright, maybe this is a little premature to be writing this, but I've gotten a hold of two full mp3s from the new Adagio CD Underworld (I feel no shame in having ripped mp3s from a promo because I already have the Japanese release on preorder anyway) and I know how theres a lot of Adagio fans on here so....

First of all, lets start with the new keyboardist, Kevin Codfert. This guy absolutely fucking rips. It says in his bio that he has a very deep classically trained background, and it clearly shows. he brings a very romantic-era (Chopin, Liszt) feel to the tracks. Forte said he originally wanted to work with Vitalij in Adagio. I think he wound up finding a keyboardist thats at least an equal (technique wise) to Vitalij, not to mention I find his solos more melodic than Vitalij's.

Second (and heres a scary thought): Forte said he has been practicing a lot, and he's much better than he was on Sanctus Ignis. This is definately true. I didnt think this guy could get any more faster. Theres some solo spots on these two songs where I had to scrape my jaw from the floor. I have never heard a guitarist play so fast, cleanly, and precise before. After hearing his performance on these two tracks I'd have to say he is the most technically profficient shredder I have *ever* heard.

Now down to the songs. Forte promised Underworld would be "darker, heavier, more prog, and more symphonic" than Sanctus Ignis. One of the songs I heard, Chosen, fits the last two descriptions very nicely. This one is a real driving uptempo one (think In Nomine...). He also seemed to forget to add that the songs are more melodic than Sanctus. While Sanctus excelled at having a very dark symphonic mood, I always felt in terms of chorus melody it fell short. Not this time around. Chosen has a very catchy "singable" chorus, the kind that Sanctus lacked. Of course, the song is accentuated by solos from Kevin and Stephan (featuring a spot thats slightly remeniscent to the tapping break in Sea of Lies...only faster...and all picked).

So, Chosen is a great track, but what about the "darker and heavier" descriptions Stephan threw out there? Chosen was heavy, but not any more so than anything on Sanctus. Well, the 2nd track I heard, From My Sleep to Someone Else, was where I got to hear a taste of the darker side. An ominous orchestral intro gives way to a pounding riff under church organs before breaking into a full on blastbeat accentuated by a gutteral scream courtesy of a black metal vocalist that guested on the album (I dont remember the name of the band, not one Ive heard of before - hes also supposed to be on one other track too, but this is the only contribution he adds to the track). Dimmu would be proud. The rest of the song is indeed a very dark, heavy peice of mid tempo metal, but of course still retaining melody and a very shreddy solo section.

In closing, so far Im very happy with what Ive heard and Im very excited to hear the rest of the CD. I'll let you guys know how the rest of it is when I get it :)

Thanks........now I am even more unstable as I wait for this cd to come out! Why do they not release this in the U.S. the same time as in Japan? And not just the U.S. but also in Europe and other places around the world. If we are getting the exact same cd why release it in Japan only first and make everyone else wait for no reason? I just can't understand why.....its not like it is a Japanese video game that has to be translated to English first before it is released out of Japan. I think it just hurts them in the long run as a lot of ppl might get impatient and download the songs that will all definately be on the internet once it hits Japan. I was just wondering if there happens to be a perfectly logical explanation for this. (ex. Japan know people all around the world will want to order imports to get the cd earlier than when it is released in their countries and pays off the band in some way to get the cd a month or so before everyone else.)

symphonyXjapan said:
I was just wondering if there happens to be a perfectly logical explanation for this. (ex. Japan know people all around the world will want to order imports to get the cd earlier than when it is released in their countries and pays off the band in some way to get the cd a month or so before everyone else.)

Actually there is. In Japan its actually cheaper to buy imports than to buy domestic CDs. So what a lot of japanese record companies do is release their CDs before the rest of the world and/or add bonus tracks to entice Japanese buyers to buy the domestic copies.

WOW!!!! From your description, it sounds AMAZING!!!!!!!! Fort'e - better!! (Indded a scarey thought) and *the* most technically profiiciant guitarist out there!! Woah, you might be a little bit biast but what the hell, he sounds awwsome! I'll check this out NOW!!

Oh my fucking god!!! What was that? I just heard 'next profundis' and the key solo sample from their site. It is amazing, Sanctus was pretty rehashed (but still quality), but still unoriginal. But the nex profundis song was just beutiful. Kevin absolutly BLITZES nearly every other keyboardist out their (Including Vitalij Kuprij IMO) and the licks Stephan was doing in the start was amazing! the music was dramatic but not cheezy, technical yet melodic and catchy but not in the power metal "Eagle's FLYYYY!!" way.
This album is the new hope for Neo-classical metal and i've only heard 2 samples from it.

Oh man. OH MAN... I love this album. I've gotten my copy of Underworld, and I must say, it ROCKS!!!

I'm not one who has great descriptive skills in making album reviews, but I think to put it simply, this album has something for everybody. There is one ballad on the record that people will have trouble with, but I love it. The words are beautifull, It's obvious it was written by someone who has loved.

Anyways, as a Symphony X fan, nothing could have thrilled me more to get this cd pumping in my car, other than a new Symphony X release!

Pharoah said:
Now I am really psyched to get it. I've been into this band for awhile. Polyeidus, WHERE DID YOU GET IT??!! (I'm shouting)

Sorry duder. I just saw your post. I pre-ordered it from a site in Japan, before the date was pushed, and they shipped it the 23. BTW, I paid for speed mail, cuz, yes I wanted it that bad. It's cool too, cuz it has a bonus track the Euro-USA version won't have. Killer disc dude!

I am really surprised by the album. Much much better than Sanctus. I quickly grew board of Sanctus and all of its wanking, this however seems more in depth and layered. The songs are put together nicely and it all flows. I really like the track with the extreme vocals at the end. Wouldnt it be awesome if it was all throughout the album?

I think the first half of the songs are better than the second half, but still I am very impressed by the leaps and bounds this new album took. It definitely is on my to own list.

Thumbs up from this prog snob ;)

I'm really curious. The song lengths seem promising since I like longer tracks, and if the band is as brilliant on this one as on Sanctus Ignis then this should be a killer record. One thing I'm concerned about though are the extreme vocals, which are something I never cared for at all. I can't see those being anything but out of place on an Adagio album.

Sanctus was good, but i don't know...i didn't really listen to it all that much. I kinda grew tired over it. Even though it was good. But this album sounds amazing

The King Of Terrors said:
I'm really curious. The song lengths seem promising since I like longer tracks, and if the band is as brilliant on this one as on Sanctus Ignis then this should be a killer record. One thing I'm concerned about though are the extreme vocals, which are something I never cared for at all. I can't see those being anything but out of place on an Adagio album.

There's one prolonged scream in the intro of one track, and that's about it...and David sounds great on this album.