Thoughts on MESHUGGAH

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they are one of the most innovative and interesting metal bands of the last 10 years. No one can do what they do. Some bands try, and fail miserably. Most of it is because Meshuggah aren't really into listening to metal anymore. they draw inspiration from elsewhere, and it really shows in their music. It's fun to watch people bash them.

Perdition's Light said:
If other people are taken away to a realm of geometric mindfuckery or whatever the hell their music is supposed to inspire, great. Those people are probably on some good drugs though.

Do you think people listen to them because they love the rhythmic complexity? I'm just wondering, because it reads like you do. In my case, i got over that 5 years ago. I like them because no metal band creates the kind of atmosphere they do. I do it for the "feeling" i get from it.

meshuggah is one of those bands, you either love it or hate it.
im on the love it side.
they are original, sound fresh and i do love their minimalistic riffs, dissonances and the drumming.
nothing beats chaosphere in the headbanging department, neck breaker lol
still my favorite is fredrik thordenthal solo album solo niger, sounds like allan holdsworth playing alien metal lol

Imagine what meshuggahs crappy riffs would sound like without 6 feet of guitar processors.

The Greys said:
Imagine what meshuggahs crappy riffs would sound like without 6 feet of guitar processors.

you're one of THOSE people, eh? When will people learn that production and aethetic is as much a part of the songwriting as the chords/rhythms/melodies? It might SEEM like the good thing to do to assume a good song is a good song no matter what it is played on, but it's not true. Entire genres of music exist where 90% of the songwriting is in the stereo imaging and aethetic presentation.

Necro Joe said:
The song 'Shed' is taken from their newest record Catch 33 and is not really a good representation of the rest of the album which is far less accessible as a whole (it is really just one long song) than that track would suggest.

I dunno. See, when I saw Meshuggah live, I wasn't in the mood for them that night (I was there to see someone else), so I didn't leave looking to purchase any of their product. However, I heard the song Shed on a compilation and the ONLY song that I liked at all on that compilation was that one. I purchased Catch-33, and have been collecting their other CDs as time permits.

Catch-33 may not be accessible to most, but I've always loved albums that people usually find super-annoying (I have CDs that will clear out a room and annoy neighbors 5 doors away).

So far, Catch-33 has been my favorite disc with Nothing coming in an extremely close second. Recently, I caught Sirius Radio's Hard Attack station play I - all 18 minutes of it! I think I know what my next Meshuggah purchase will be.

The Greys said:

Umm, more like 2 feet of guitar gear. They're live gear is exceptionally minimal (a couple of rack effects and Line6 gear with no speaker cabinets to be found onstage) and I can almost guarantee you that when any band is working on an album, they'll bring in all kinds of amps to get the sound they want.

Meshuggah - definately a band with a concept and a definitive sound.

As a sci-fi junkie, I like their vision. They're not guitar innovators, but they definately might click with some people. Others, like most who have posted before, think that they are just boring repetitive, quite understandable, since they kind of are.

Still like em.

yeah... see... the difference between Holdsworth and Thordendahl is that Allan still has a theory foundation, he's using actual scales, ya know... Thordendahl's playing is really truly random, since from what I can tell his solos are written in geometric patterns on the neck rather than with the actual notes in mind.

i purchased Chaosphere earlier tonight and didn't quite get into it.then i heard it twice more and it's starting to grow on me the way the Voivod album Killing Technology did.The few guitar solo's on it are cool as hell.I think their other albums will be in my collection soon.thanks for the input.

ResistExistance said:
While I respect their technique, their music bores me.

Agree! Their music is more for musicians than for the "normal" metal listener... I really wonder why they get that much attention in america whille they git just average reactions in europe

Look at the ending riff to new millenium cyanide for example. You don't need tons of gear and 7,8 string guitars to write stupid riffs. end

You have to be an idiot to think everyone is going to fall for one offbeat note being original,complex,etc.. it's so ridiculous. Stupid riffs for 12 year old nu-metal fans getting into metal.

I don't care if you have ridiculously easy riffs but atleast imform your fans so they are not crying for tabs or how to figure out your riffs like they're highly technical or something. Meshuggah is so prog and technical lol

mars wrote this meshuggah riff I CAN'T I CAN'T DO IT!

Status
Not open for further replies.