Thoughts on the next Bodom album

AYDY and BD suck IMO. And to me CoB haven't been so special since AYDY came. I don't have any expectations about new Bodom album, cus I'm pretty certain that they are going to more LoG and America thrash/metalcore sound. But of course I'd like to hear new FTR style of album, but propably it ain't gonna happen, cus there's no Alexander in the band. But old Bodom (SW-HB-FTR) has a place in my heart always.

I always fail to see logic behind this, please elaborate.

Alexander's last album with the band was HCDR. After his departure and arrival of Roope (a badass guitarist) came AYDY and BD. Therefore people like to say the cause of all of this "American" style core music is due to Alexander leaving. Now I don't know if that is true or not but I think the band was already heading towards this style of music in HCDR. When HCDR came out, I believe, is when they actually headlined in America for the first time. I think the timing was just coincedental. Now its not like I don't like what they did with HCDR. I just thought with the arrival of Roope we would see some maybe Sinergy elments and thrashy Stone elements embeded into Bodom. Now if that is what happened and the result was AYDY/BD then I want them to go back to their roots!

of course I'd like to hear new FTR style of album, but propably it ain't gonna happen, cus there's no Alexander in the band

:lol: I love it how some people are so stupid they realize ok there was a point when COB's music changed, then they realized the only thing that changed was the rhythm guitarist, so that's gotta be the reason!! :lol: I once ended up in some cracksmoker's cave and there was Hatebreeder on the table, I said cool band huh, the guy replied yeah but I don't even wanna check the newest stuff out because they changed the other guitarist. I mean what the fuck?!?! I've given a thorough explanation to the scenario a few times already, but I won't do it anymore.

Roughly speaking: To think that a rhythm guitarist who only played chords pretty much was the factor that made old Bodom what it was... Wakey wakey!! And by the way, Ale was still in when they made Hatecrew Deathroll... This is just so stupid people unify these factors.

Peace.

:lol: I love it how some people are so stupid they realize ok there was a point when COB's music changed, then they realized the only thing that changed was the rhythm guitarist, so that's gotta be the reason!! :lol: I once ended up in some cracksmoker's cave and there was Hatebreeder on the table, I said cool band huh, the guy replied yeah but I don't even wanna check the newest stuff out because they changed the other guitarist. I mean what the fuck?!?! I've given a thorough explanation to the scenario a few times already, but I won't do it anymore.

Roughly speaking: To think that a rhythm guitarist who only played chords pretty much was the factor that made old Bodom what it was... Wakey wakey!! And by the way, Ale was still in when they made Hatecrew Deathroll... This is just so stupid people unify these factors.

Peace.

Fuck you, I didn't ask your opinion.

What I was trying to say was that I don't see them going back to "neo-classical" music, cus they are already so deep in that mallcore thing. And I seriously think that Alexander's departure from the band broke the original CoB. I mean for me THAT was THE Bodom, not this what they represent today. Also I think Ale leaving the band was shock to Alexi and somehow that influenced him, there's no questioning about that. Of course this is all speculation, but it had some kinda effect, that's for sure. I just don't think Roope can fill the void what Ale left behind. But that's just me.

Alexander wasn't just some rhytm guitarist, he was member of the band.

Also I think Ale leaving the band was shock to Alexi and somehow that influenced him, there's no questioning about that.

You're not paying attention. Ale was in COB when they made Hatecrew Deathroll. So how could he influence the band with his abscence to make heavier music before he ever left them? My post wasn't a personal attack on you. People just need to take their brain in their hand before making these silly connections.

I just don't think Roope can fill the void what Ale left behind. But that's just me.

The only thing Roope cannot fill is Ale's belly. What are you saying exactly? Do you know what you're talking about? Roope is a way bigger "player" in the metal scene than Ale.

The only thing I agree about this is Ale did contribute to certain songs such as Bed Of Razors, Chokehold and Lil' Bloodred Ridin' Hood. (Note two of them are from Hatecrew Deathroll.) What exactly did he write for them? Not necessarily all the melodic parts...

Only thing where Ale was better than Roope was the group shouts.

If you wanna "blame" someone, blame Alexi. He writes the songs.

You're not paying attention. Ale was in COB when they made Hatecrew Deathroll. So how could he influence the band with his abscence to make heavier music before he ever left them? My post wasn't a personal attack on you. People just need to take their brain in their hand before making these silly connections.

IMO HCDR isn't so much a like this style. I actually like that album, but I can't stand AYDY or BD.

The only thing Roope cannot fill is Ale's belly. What are you saying exactly? Do you know what you're talking about? Roope is a way bigger "player" in the metal scene than Ale.

What I'm saying is that, Alexander was one of the original band members. If you have played in band, you should know what I'm talking about. Those guys are your friends, and in CoB case they were "brothers". Many years of playing and touring together. When one guy leaves the band, it loses some of it's spirit, and in this case I believe they lost quite a lot. It's hard to fill that spot for anyone.

How are you saying Roope is bigger "player" in metal scene? And please, don't start with that Stone bullshit, cus they are IMO overrated and they never were THAT big, not even in Finland.

Only thing where Ale was better than Roope was the group shouts.

I disagree. I have seen CoB live with both Ale and Roope, and IMO Alexander brought much more attitude, feeling and metal in to their live shows. Of course we can argue about this 'til end of the world and still it wouldn't make any difference, cus these are opinions.

If you wanna "blame" someone, blame Alexi. He writes the songs.

I don't want to blame anyone. Not Roope, Ale, Alexi or any other guy from the band. They can take any musical direction as they wish, I just don't care, cus I know they aren't going to back to the style I liked. But I have three great albums from them, which I can listen and wonder how good they were. Of course I'm still interested in their new stuff, but I don't expect anything from them. There are so many good bands out there that I can find my music elsewhere. CoB never was an obsession to me, like it seems to be to some. Great band, at least used to be.

I think we can leave this "discussion" to this point. At least I think it's pointless to argue with fanboi like you.

I think we can leave this "discussion" to this point. At least I think it's pointless to argue with fanboi like you.

I agree band chemistry can change some things like the fundamental spirit in what kind of music we're writing. Not so much however as was the leap from Follow the Reaper to Hatecrew Deathroll. But as much as the fairly smaller leap from Hatecrew Deathroll to Trashed and AYDY - maybe.

But that is just a wild theory and most of people consider it was Ale's fault that Hatecrew Deathroll and everything after was so heavy, without realizing Ale was still in the band and playing Hatecrew Deathroll shows!

I don't know how much Alexi and Ale interfered in terms of songwriting etc, you'd have to ask Alexi. But I'm sure Alexi's influence on the music was maybe 80% while Ale's and Roope's are/were maybe 10%. Like Roope said, it's Alexi's baby, he doesn't want to get too close.

If Ale indeed was the reason to the change, it would set his departure form the band in a very shameful light. :) See, even tho I maybe prefer the blue and green album a bit more than the newer material, I've no problem with Roope. And I've nothing against Ale. He chose family instead of being involved in what many consider the best band in the world.. on the other hand, fucking unbelievable, on the other hand very respectable.

On second thoughts; he did state he grew tired of the entire metal scene. So fuck him.

Perhaps, one thing I thought that COB changed the style of music is due to the maket.
The market in US just has little exploitation before the style changed.
They may think going to US market can get more new FDs.

One point i think bodom has changed their style in every album on whole, perhaps just a little bit.
Blooddrunk may not be the best album i think, but there are still some gd point i appreciate, more progressive, more mystic feeling in the album, slowing the beat on whole.

The next album of bodom, i think they will play more and more mystic feeling but keep the music style gorgeous as usual, with "smaller space feeling" (blooddrunk i think giving "lager space" in their music style).

What I was trying to say was that I don't see them going back to "neo-classical" music, cus they are already so deep in that mallcore thing. And I seriously think that Alexander's departure from the band broke the original CoB. I mean for me THAT was THE Bodom, not this what they represent today. Also I think Ale leaving the band was shock to Alexi and somehow that influenced him, there's no questioning about that. Of course this is all speculation, but it had some kinda effect, that's for sure. I just don't think Roope can fill the void what Ale left behind. But that's just me.

Hmm, I think I understand what you meant now. After Ale left it has been different COB and music has changed. I personally don't connect Ale to albums that much, for me albums are much more about Alexi's state of mind. However when it comes to live shows there is very clear distinction in my mind between "Ale era" and "Roope era" and I strongly connect older songs at live to Ale. Early COB is quite special for me in many ways but I also like newer albums and Roope (who I actually prefer over Ale in many ways, but sure, Ale is the original cob rhythm guitarist for me). I don't believe that bringing Ale back to band would effect anyway to their musical direction, I'm quite sure that musically they would have followed the same path also with Ale on board.

Well I don't now if anyone got my point...for future I just want Alexi to give me nice surprises. Sure I love neo-classical / melodeath / whatever style music but honestly I don't see that very fitting to cob anymore. Something fresh and melodic for me please. I believe Alexi has the talent if he chooses to use it and don't go easy and obvious direction.

To boldly go where no man has gone before.

Well I don't now if anyone got my point...for future I just want Alexi to give me nice surprises. Sure I love neo-classical / melodeath / whatever style music but honestly I don't see that very fitting to cob anymore. Something fresh and melodic for me please. I believe Alexi has the talent if he chooses to use it and don't go easy and obvious direction.

Obviously I agree with this and I hope so too.

I really don't know, we could be in for the best COB album or the worst. I just hope when Alexi reveals the first bits of info on the album it's gonna be surprising. The only thing I'm concerned about is the Slayer / Pantera / Lamb of God etc influences.

Hmm, I think I understand what you meant now. After Ale left it has been different COB and music has changed. I personally don't connect Ale to albums that much, for me albums are much more about Alexi's state of mind. However when it comes to live shows there is very clear distinction in my mind between "Ale era" and "Roope era" and I strongly connect older songs at live to Ale. Early COB is quite special for me in many ways but I also like newer albums and Roope (who I actually prefer over Ale in many ways, but sure, Ale is the original cob rhythm guitarist for me). I don't believe that bringing Ale back to band would effect anyway to their musical direction, I'm quite sure that musically they would have followed the same path also with Ale on board.

u right man :headbang:

Alexander's last album with the band was HCDR. After his departure and arrival of Roope (a badass guitarist) came AYDY and BD. Therefore people like to say the cause of all of this "American" style core music is due to Alexander leaving. Now I don't know if that is true or not but I think the band was already heading towards this style of music in HCDR. When HCDR came out, I believe, is when they actually headlined in America for the first time. I think the timing was just coincedental. Now its not like I don't like what they did with HCDR. I just thought with the arrival of Roope we would see some maybe Sinergy elments and thrashy Stone elements embeded into Bodom. Now if that is what happened and the result was AYDY/BD then I want them to go back to their roots!

Alexander had nothing to do. According to you Roope was what has made Alexi go that direction, so why doesn't Sinergy sound like AYDY/BD?

Agreed all the way.

Obviously I agree with this and I hope so too.

I really don't know, we could be in for the best COB album or the worst. I just hope when Alexi reveals the first bits of info on the album it's gonna be surprising. The only thing I'm concerned about is the Slayer / Pantera / Lamb of God etc influences.

True, but I don't really see what's bad about influences. I mean, Sixpounder is a badass song and does have Pantera influences. YBOD starts with a kind of LOG playasfastasyoucanonthelowE riff and then has awesome melodic bits. I don't think the influences are bad, they just have to remember that Janne is in the band, and keep the keys on because they are a huge part of COB.

Alexander had nothing to do. According to you Roope was what has made Alexi go that direction, so why doesn't Sinergy sound like AYDY/BD?

Nononono...what I meant was that's what people seem to be connecting. I believe it's just a coincidence that happened. I just wished he brought in some Sinergy and maybe some Stone influence. Ultimately, like I said before, the band was already going in that direction so Roope had nothing to do with it. Once again I hope the next album hits the restart button. I know I can't expect HB/FTR pt. 2 but I hope it isn't AYDY/BD pt. 2 :loco:

Don't know about you people, but I'd be more than happy with something on the lines of HCD. It had strength and it had tons of cool melodies too. And loads of keys too.

Like every COB album HCDR has a downside too: it lacks a feeling of depth (in all songs except Angels.) Too much lack of depth to be my favourite. It's like rock rock but it's not deep / mysterious like much of Hatebreeder, most of Follow the Reaper, or even some of Blooddrunk...