Thrash!

I just said I listened to the same samples you posted, so apparently we listen to the same 90s thrash? haha There's plenty of 80s bands to occupy your time, no need to buy all these out of print 90s albums.

That faustus track is actually ok, but that's just one track and the only reviewer on MA listens to ghey bands so can't trust it

That faustus track is actually ok, but that's just one track and the only reviewer on MA listens to ghey bands so can't trust it

The whole album is more or less like that song. There is one song that's a bit slower/groovier in a Nevermore kind of way, but for the most part it's a pretty consistent album.

By the way, I appreciate everone's contributions for previous years, and hope to see more!

Some not so well-known stuff from the eighties:

Drifter from Switzerland with two songs from their debut album "Reality Turns To Dust" (1988):

I couldn't find a single clip of the studio version of the song posted above, but there's a clip with the entire album to be found on youtube.

Battlefield from Germany with two songs from their debut "We Come To Fight" (1988/89):

I noticed that on all five songs from this EP which I found on youtube the vocals have been mixed in the background. They are better audible on the original vinyl version. (I don't know if this EP has ever been released on CD.) Someone also posted a live version of this song, allegedly from a German TV programme, with better audible vocals, though the overall quality of this clip is not the best:

The title track of their debut from the same TV programme:

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you think of the Battlefield full-lengths? They aren't very thrashy but I think they're kinda interesting, at least hard to make reference points to other bands for me.

This is from 2010, but I had to share this. Someone posted it on Metallum, sick death/thrash band with no full length yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnUZLtwYtus

I'm going to wrap up 1996 tonight/tomorrow, any more submissions? So far it looks like overall:

1993 was the beginning of the downturn
1994 was a low point
1995 thrash rebounded quite a bit
1996 was a new low, lower than 1994

Hopefully 1997 will bring more quality stuff.

RAMP - Thoughts 1992

classicthrash.com
"Ramp's Thoughts serves as a reminder of the low attention span of bands who tend to ride the wave of whatever is currently considered hot in the scene. While the band's debut release is almost as competent an example of thrash metal as anything out there, only a couple of years later and they had already jumped on the bandwagon of groove metal. But if you don't mind their career past this album, Thoughts is indeed not that bad. Sufficient speed, semi-catchy riffs, it's all there. The vocals have something of a nasty tone in them which adds some originality that this recording would otherwise lack. Also the production is meaty enough so that you don't need to give a second thought to non-musical values when listening to this one. Far from original but still worth another look if easily available, that's the main promise of Ramp's first offering."

semi-tech, death angelish thrash
if vulture is making your list, this deserves to be there as well :tickled:

I don't understand why you keep referring 90's thrash. It's all garbage. I listen to your samples and albums and songs and they are all doo-doo. There is no reason, at least that I can tell, to look for a thrash album in the 90s. Move on man

Pml6MSb.jpg

What do you think of the Battlefield full-lengths? They aren't very thrashy but I think they're kinda interesting, at least hard to make reference points to other bands for me.
I haven't listened to them for a very long time, but they definitely aren't thrash metal. If I had to label them, I'd probably opt for (slightly) progressive metal. (I saw them live once in 1991 as opening act for Psychotic Waltz, who definitely were a progressive metal band - at least way back then.) I could also check some old reviews to see what they were refered to when the albums were released.

Thanks for all the extra submissions for earlier years, I'll be adding them to the playlists. TBH late 80's and 90-92 are pretty easy years to find good thrash in. But yeah they weren't on the lists yet at least.

I'm mainly looking for good thrash in the later 90's, some songs I've never or rarely heard of before. Seems like '96 was the worst year of the 90's so far, surpassing even '94 levels. I listened to at least 50 bands and only found 6 or so post-worthy tracks.

Time for 1997 thrash.

While not necessarily a thrash album, this song by Megadeth on Cryptic Writings is pretty thrashy.

Spastic Ink - Ink Complete (quality experimental/progressive thrash band)

Mind Ashes - The Views Obscured (prog/tech thrash)

Grip Inc. - Nemesis (Lombardo's 'other' band)

Hexenhaus - Dejavoodoo

A bit thrashier/less progressive now:

Gehennah - Decibel Rebel

Nemesis - s/t

Scenery - The Drowning Shadows of Mankind (tech thrash)

Glacial Fear - Frames

T.A.R. - Fear of Life

Time for 1997 thrash.

While not necessarily a thrash album, this song by Megadeth on Cryptic Writings is pretty thrashy.

Cryptic Writings has a fair share of thrash scattered all throughout. But yes FFF and The Disintegrators are the two "thrashiest" tracks. Pretty good album imo.

:kickass: @ Hexenhaus and Gehennah.

Transgression - Dead Wisdoms

Cryptic - Shrouded in Mysterty (thrash/power)

Pathos - Hoverface (techy)

Canker - Exquisite Tenderness (thrash/death w/ fun guitar solos)

Sadus - Elements of Anger

Flaming Anger - Biosphere II (sci-fi thrash?! what a rare find)

1997 was a good enough year. I forgot about that other track on Cryptic Writings too, thanks! Great Megadeth album btw, thrash or not.

Nocturnal Breed - Aggressor (thrash/black)

I'm satisfied with '97. Feel free to submit more if you want.

I'm having a more difficult time with 1998 (seems like the even numbered years 1994 on have been this way). But here's what I have so far:

Punisher - Disillusioned (reminds me a bit of Obliveon, love the clarity on the bass riffs, very cool)

Extol - Burial (probably doesn't count, but good stuff)

Witchery - Restless & Dead

Whiplash - Thrashback

Noisekiller - A Frozen Image In Time

Dark Order - 5000 Years of Violence

Droys - And If...

Perzonal War - The Inside

Pathos - Uni Versus Universe (prog thrash)