Thrashist Regime

:lol: Excuse me...?

photo00811.jpg

photo00821.jpg

photo00831.jpg

photo00841.jpg

photo00851.jpg

Listened to this throughout the weekend, 6-7 times. First thoughts:

Musicianship is fine. I liked the drums and vocals mostly. Good riffage, I felt the solos were OK.
Production is good. While it sounds a bit like most albums of the new wave of thrash, it leaves some space for that personal touch. I think making that sound even more original would benefit the band.

...and the million dollar question: Songwriting.
I enjoyed this. A lot. I've been spinning this in my car for a few days now and it keeps growing on me. I don't think the album is a masterpiece but it delivers. I enjoy the speed/thrash mix with some tech elements along with a few more melodic stuff here-and there. In fact, when the band incorporates more variety in the song dynamics (as opposed to full on speed/thrash all the time), that keeps the songs more interesting.

I am not yet aware of most titles, since I am always driving when listening and can't read the back of the CD but I have easily picked out The Last Hunt as the best song on the album, amazing riffing, excellent fierce vibes and overall this is the song that I have put on repeat multiple times. I think it kinda stands out. I also got the feeling that maybe the songs weren't all written at the same time? This could be just an impression though.

On a personal note, Joe, the vocals are really great and I am not just saying that. I like the range of styles you cover, particularly the aggressive thrash vox, they have this old-school feel to them and a lot of passion. I too thought that sometimes they are a bit back in the mix, I am guessing in favour of the guitar wall of sound.

On a scale of 1 to 10, this would be a 7.5, which is half a click beyond 8, which is the line that separates a classic album with an album showcasing a band with great potential. Like I said, I enjoyed the album much, there were at least 4 or 5 songs that have memorable hooks (always a super-positive), I banged my head and the steering wheel and air-guitarred during traffic. It's not an album that will shake the thrash scene but it is a very welcome addition to the new wave of thrash scene (and particularly the UK scene). I will be looking forward to the next release, hoping that touring and experience will fine-hone the songwriting abilities and solidify the sound you are looking for. Needless to say, as with most thrash albums, (I find that) in a live setting with tight playing this would be even more enjoyable. I would love to catch you guys live!

Good luck and cheers!

PS: As for the "official" stuff I'll let you know how it goes and if I can do anything ;)

Cheers, appreciate the feedback. The songs were written over a couple of years but I think the fact that they sound different mostly comes from them being written by different members of the band. Everyone writes so we end up with quite a range of different sounds within the spectrum of thrash. The main problem for us is that because it took 2 and a half years to finish we've written a whole bunch of songs since then which are a lot more technical, in fact the direction we are heading is very much tech-thrash so when the next recording eventually happens you'll see us going very much more in that direction. But because it's taken so long to finish it's not actually neccessarily that accurate a representation of where we are right now. However we have to approach the release as if it is brand new and exciting, and to be honest we're all just so excited to finally have the damn thing finished and released that it has helped re-inject some enthusiasm into material we've been playing for aaaaages.

Thanks for the compliments on the vocals too. I never feel like the best singer but they have turned out very well on this release, so hopefully I'll still be able to listen to it in a year's time without feeling like I ruined the album.

I certainly didn't expect it to shake the foundations of thrash. Albums that do that only happen once or twice a decade. We just wanted to be a thrash band with a thrash album and that's where we are so it's all good for me :) We never wanted to be the fastest or the most extreme as melodic thrash is the domain we all enjoy the most, and that's where I think we are.

And yeah, if there's anything to do then of course it would be appreciated :)

I got mine yesterday and listened to it last night. The Last Hunt is a fucking amazing song. The rest of the songs are great, like Hotel Blast Terror, The Die is Cast (Which sounds alot more refined since the Terror Takes Shape demo), and Culture of Vanity, and I especially loved the intro for Apocalyptic Epidemic, but The Last Hunt is just on a totally different level.

Joe, I bow to thee. :worship:

I listened to it again and there is a riff in Unisol that sounds exactly like one in My Apocalypse by Metallica.
It is really cool though, I think I liked Scavenger's Daughter the most.

I guess that's one for the 'music that sounds like other music' thread! We did notice the similarity but we'd already played it a bunch of times and just thought "fuck it!"

Glad you're both enjoying it. Keenan, Last Hunt is my favourite too :)

Just listened to this for the first time and wow... I loved it. A lot.

Vocals and drumming is good, guitars excellent and production sound. 8/10

:kickass::headbang:

On a related note Joe, did you ever get around to reading the sequel story to Kraven's Last Hunt?