Three bands on the lackluster side...

Walter_Langkowski

Neuroses Facilitator
Alright, I expect the retailiation, but I don't care. So here goes... Is anyone else not so impressed with Wuthering Heights, Adagio, and Dreamscape? Now hear me out, I am not saying that these bands are utter pieces of crap, it's just that I was hoping for some others that might have, shall we say, a bit more of their own identity. I have spoken to a few other of my friends, and they are also sitting on the fence as to whether or not that they are going. Their reasons aside, the quality of those aformentioned bands is, for me, a real issue. I know that Glenn has done a good job of booking the majority of the time, so this is not a major slam at him. I was just really hoping on some others six months ago as the last fest ended. Here is my wish list, and any combination of three bands to replace the other three, would really have made this a stellar lineup, top to bottom. These are in no order:

Conception
Dream Evil
Magnitude 9
Sonata Artica (Yeah, I know Glenn tried them)
Mystic Prophecy
Masterplan
DGM
Riot
Freak Kitchen
King Diamond (okay, I know that one is a stretch, but one can hope...)

Just my two cents on the matter.

This is not a slam as I respect your opinion, but I really do not see the need for posts like this. It only adds negative energy and fuels arguments. Glenn books who he wants and for every person that chooses not to go there are three more dying for a chance.

ProgPower is not just about the roster. Its about coming together with friends and like minded fans and celebrating. Whether I like the bands or not I still want to go and be with others who appreciate the same things I do.

Every year this happens and it pains me to see so many people upset or dissastfied because their own personal dream roster was not picked.

Here is a thought, channel the negative vibes into something positve...maybe starting a fest of your own. that way you can pick who plays.

rhavin2112 said:
This is not a slam as I respect your opinion, but I really do not see the need for posts like this. It only adds negative energy and fuels arguments. Glenn books who he wants and for every person that chooses not to go there are three more dying for a chance.

ProgPower is not just about the roster. Its about coming together with friends and like minded fans and celebrating. Whether I like the bands or not I still want to go and be with others who appreciate the same things I do.

Every year this happens and it pains me to see so many people upset or dissastfied because their own personal dream roster was not picked.

Here is a thought, channel the negative vibes into something positve...maybe starting a fest of your own. that way you can pick who plays.
what he said

and 7 out of 10 ain't bad for the price anyhow.

Agreed, I went to PP3 based on liking mainly Edguy, Blind Guardian, Gamma Ray. 3/10 bands, and I grew to like most of the others *But not a couple*...Yet if I hadn't have gone to PP3 with that logic...I would have missed one of the best performances I have ever seen *Concerning the festivial in general*

7/10 ain't bad at all...

Walter_Langkowski said:
Alright, I expect the retailiation, but I don't care. So here goes... Is anyone else not so impressed with Wuthering Heights, Adagio, and Dreamscape? Now hear me out, I am not saying that these bands are utter pieces of crap, it's just that I was hoping for some others that might have, shall we say, a bit more of their own identity. I have spoken to a few other of my friends, and they are also sitting on the fence as to whether or not that they are going. Their reasons aside, the quality of those aformentioned bands is, for me, a real issue. I know that Glenn has done a good job of booking the majority of the time, so this is not a major slam at him. I was just really hoping on some others six months ago as the last fest ended. Here is my wish list, and any combination of three bands to replace the other three, would really have made this a stellar lineup, top to bottom. These are in no order:

Conception
Dream Evil
Magnitude 9
Sonata Artica (Yeah, I know Glenn tried them)
Mystic Prophecy
Masterplan
DGM
Riot
Freak Kitchen
King Diamond (okay, I know that one is a stretch, but one can hope...)

Just my two cents on the matter.

I understand your "disappointment" with the quality of bands this year but remember, rarely anyone will like 100% of all the bands. Every year there was always only 2-3 bands at ProgPower whom I actually liked, the rest I could care less.

You also mention bands that have a bit more of their own identity. While musically every band will have influences of other bands, there is virtually only a handful of truely "original" bands whom you really can't compare to anyone. (THRESHOLD and DREAM THEATER come to mind). While Adagio and Dreamscape share a lot of similarity to Symphony X and Dream Theater, respectively, ADAGIO is more symphonic while SYMPHONY X is more metal.

And as for those bands you've listed....
Conception doesn't officially exist again, yet.
Magnitude 9 doesn't do live performances.
Sonata Arctica shares a lot in common with Stratovarius, so they are not very original but they do have some kind of identity...continuing where Stato left off musically.
Masterplan while they might be recognized as a "real" band and not just a super-group of musicians, they don't have enough variety of material to perform and have yet to really establish themselves. Musically they are no different than any other Power Metal band. Above average to me.

I really don't feel that my post generated "negative energy", simply a wish list of particular bands that a lot of people might be interested in. I guess this is not the place to list ANY sort of dissapointment in the roster. My apologies. Obviously with 900 tickets available to North America and parts of Europe, certainly there will be someone else to go in my place to the fest. As a previousl PP goer, and a person with a depth of knowledge in this music, I simply stated an opinion as to certain bands that would have enhanced the lineup. I was unaware that we were all supposed to be of the same mindset on this board. And I did state that Glenn has done an good job in booking bands, so I don't feel that it was a rude comment. It wasn't like I reffered to him as Jack Koshick, a man who obviously doesn't know talent in bands at all. Sorry to state an opinion.

Amen, Adam.
Even if I do not like 100% of the chosen bands........so what?? Not even worth mentioning it. With the PP festival, from all festivals I know (and I am in Germany/Europe so I am fuckin spoiled!), I know that I always like/love the BIG majority of the chosen bands at PP, and that is the best compliment I can make, plus it is much more than I can say about ANY other festival worldwide. Bottom line :)

Walter_Langkowski said:
I guess this is not the place to list ANY sort of dissapointment in the roster.
Nah. It's done all the time and there was a huge thread on it previously. Your post was no different than a ton of others. However, I would think your initial sentence sort of set the tone for replies:

"Alright, I expect the retailiation, but I don't care"

Good luck and hope I see you next time.

Glenn

For all I know, Glenn may have approached all those bands, but they may have had to decline to previous commitments or contract terms etc,. Perhaps they actually signed a contract and then jumped ship on Glenn. Because certain bands aren't on the roster doesn't necessarily mean that Glenn didn't try or doesn't want them play at PP USA. Just something to keep in mind when you see a band on the roster that doesn't overly impress you.

I fucken love Adagio and not at all disapointed with the other bands on the bill! Like Adam mentioned, I think it is more then just a music fest but a gathering of friends and celebration. Once again you can't make everyone happy...if you ever win the lottery book your own bands and start your own show. :) I think it's a great lineup and for me it would be a treat watching these bands!

I don't like bashing bands, just because some music or bands are not to my liking to someone else it is. There is also plenty of things to do if you don't want to see them perform...just bring lots of money! :)

Cheers, Tony

Ditto Tony!!!! While I admire the post as an opinion I feel that you are in the minority thinking that its a disapointment. It's kind of funny and sad at the same time that someone can cry, moan, bitch, and complain about something when they don't go out and try it themselves. A lot of the bands Glenn tried to get weren't available so what do you expect? To put off ProgPower until your bands or most of them can play? Its fine to be disapointed but lets put realism into perspective here. I like some of the bands on the roster, the rest I have not heard before the announcement. Now I have new bands to listen to like Dreamscape, Wuthering Heights, and Tad Morose (even if they are not new bands). I think thats whats also great about ProgPower, finding and discovering new music, then getting familar with the discs, and then seeing them live.

Speaking as a person who sat out PPIV for the same reasons as you've stated here, Walter, let me share some insight with you. I decided soon after I saw the roster for PPIV that I wasn't going for several reasons:

#1. I don't care for Rage; never have enjoyed any of their music. They bore me to tears.

#2. Evergrey; seen them already at PP2

#3. Symphony X; seen them already at PP2

#4. I immediately checked out all the links I could find on the remaining roster, and was bored to tears.

My one regret: not seeing one of my top ten bands, Nightwish. But I couldn't balance paying 200 bucks for two gold badges to see ONE band that I was surely going to enjoy.

Looking back, I may have made a drastic mistake. Who knows? At this time, I'm getting into Pagan's Mind. When I sampled their music before PPIV I didn't care for it. But I find myself about to order their cd's now. And for that matter, I'll be looking up Mercenary again, as well as the others.

Now... this year we have some former members of Savatage. This is guaranteed to be the best show of the two nights. Hands down. I don't care who anyone's favorite band is. And I like Brainstorm - kick ass band. And I'd like to thank Glenn for booking Tad Morose. I had never heard them before the roster was announced. And now I own 'Matters of the Dark', and will soon own more of their material. I like Wuthering Heights since sampling their material. They remind me of a raw Blind Guardian.

However...

Kamelot - seen 'em at PPII, wasn't impressed
Edguy - seen 'em at PPIII, wasn't impressed
Pain of Salvation - seen 'em at PPIII, walked out with everyone else (so sue me - they bored me to tears)

Adagio, Dreamscape, Into Eternity... I'm still on the fence. But I refuse to miss the show like I did last year just because I didn't care for a majority of the lineup up front. I'm spending more time getting to know these bands. And I'm even opening up to PoS and Edguy. I'm sorry but Kamelot, 'Epica' put me to sleep - twice. I think they're a lost cause on my ears.

Savatage, Brainstorm, Tad Morose, Edguy, Wuthering Heights... I'll definately be in a seat or standing there shouting out the song lyrics with everyone else. The rest remains to be seen. I'm sure I'll be mingling and checking the vendors throughout most of the rest of them.

ok, enough rambling. I just hope I've enlightened some fence-riders to a point of view they may not have considered.

one last note... Glenn, please help bring Therion to the 'States! please?!

heh heh,

in metal,

~Hoyt.

Amen, The_Q. That's exactly my opinion.

That's how I discovered Secret Sphere, Mercenary, Rage, Silent Force, Nightwish *Had heard of them but never listened to them*, and others.

That's what I look forward to PP so much for, not the chance I can see bands I love *Though that is a huge part this festival*, but that I'm sure to discover something new that I haven't heard before. Glenn has never failed to disappoint.

Plus the vendors that come to PP...sometimes there's some real gem's to be found...

Walter, I think the reason your post comes across as whiney and a bit arrogant is because you're complaining about 3 bands (none of which are even headliners) out of a roster of 10 freakin' bands. Do you really think Glen should make sure that you personally are happy with all 10 bands before booking the lineup? Come on, man, 7 out of 10 is pretty damn good, you've got a lot of people with a lot of different opinions and personal preferences coming to this show, it's frankly unimagineable that Glen could come up with a lineup of 10 bands every single one of which every single attendee liked. That's just not a realistic expectation.

And don't start in with any of that "woe is me, I have a right to my opinion" crap. Yes, you have a right to your opinion, but that doesn't mean everybody has to agree with you. If somebody else thinks you're being a whiner they have a right to their opinion, too.

Who knows, maybe if you go to the show with an open mind you might even find yourself changing your opinion about those 3 bands. I know that's happened for me with some of the bands I've seen at past PP's that I wasn't initially enthusiastic about.

The_Q said:
Riot played ProgPower??????????????? Um was I asleep when thsi happened or were you asleep when you wrote that?

LOL yeah, apparently I was alseep when I wrote that... heh heh... but Riot/Rage... *shrug* they all bore me to tears, easy for me to confuse the two. I was trying to go by memory of a PP I didn't attend. I got all the other bands correct, right? *looks over band names* :oops:

I gotta agree with Warmwetos.... its all about the community that we share,im excited with 70% of the roster this year...but won't bitch cuz i know there are others who are into those bands( i won't even name them)im just lookin forward to relaxin with friends and beers... :)

hey, i'll take your open ticket then! no complaints from me, and i don't even know the majority of the bands.