Three bands on the lackluster side...

its all matter of opinion....I'm coming to see these bands , in this order!!

1. Adagio- IMO the best band at this years fest
2. Dreamscape- their new album rocks
3. Brainstorm- power!! power!! power!!
4. POS- these guys are good

its all matter of opinion!!!

Savatage-zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!

Edguy-zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

IMO

warmwetos said:
Like Adam mentioned, I think it is more then just a music fest but a gathering of friends and celebration.

As well as a place to meet new friends...like Tony, for example! :)

rhavin2112 said:
ProgPower is not just about the roster. Its about coming together with friends and like minded fans and celebrating. Whether I like the bands or not I still want to go and be with others who appreciate the same things I do.
Quite agreed. Hell, ProgPower II was my first ProgPower, despite only really being a big fan of ONE band on that roster (I was admittedly going because the gold badges were a birthday present to Robin), and i loved every minute of it (though ironically the one band was Spiral Architect and their set left MUCH to be desired). I came away with a new band to add to my list of favorites (Angel Dust) and a promise to myself not to miss ProgPower from then on. It's definitely about the experience.

...and as to the original post, what in the HELL is subpar or unoriginal about Wuthering Heights?

Ryan

This will be my third year at Prog Power, and I don't really even care for Prog or Power, although Evergrey did kick my ass last year and I have become a fan.

It's just a nicely organized fest with the perfect venue and great vendors. That's why I go and enjoy it.

Walter,

I'm not sure I'm clear as to what your issue is. You think that three of the ten bands are merely average? I'll take that to assume that the other seven are above average? It seems that maybe your expectations were a bit to high. For PPIII, I wasn't a fan of any of the bands (with the exception of Zero Hour). I still went, and had a great time.

Maybe you should give those three bands another shot to get their hooks in you.

Zod

Rider of Theli said:
LOL yeah, apparently I was alseep when I wrote that... heh heh... but Riot/Rage... *shrug* they all bore me to tears, easy for me to confuse the two. I was trying to go by memory of a PP I didn't attend. I got all the other bands correct, right? *looks over band names* :oops:
ok I gotta ask..

What doesn't bore you to tears? I'm insanely curious :)

and this is a serious question, I'm not being sarcastic, a lot of those "boring" bands you mentioned I really dig... so for conversation, what doesn't bore you?

Rider of Theli said:
Pain of Salvation - seen 'em at PPIII, walked out with everyone else (so sue me - they bored me to tears)
:err: I just can't believe that people actually walked out when POS was playing at Progpower III, I almost died of exciment that night, I know is just a matter os taste, and I respect that, but I think that POS kick ass live!!!!. I know that one of the reasons that I'm going this year is just to have a second chance to hear POS live again, and of course SAVATAGE!!!!!. I like the rest of the bands so far.

I should sue you :D

I left POS mainly because I was tired... If I remember right it was Zero Hour, Silent Force, Edguy, Blind Guardian, and then POS.

Edguy was killer...and even Blind Guardian seemed lackluster after Edguy's amazing performance *Was really hard to top in my opinion*. POS I only had Remedy Lane, and after BG and being tired, I just felt like getting rest for Day 2.

This year I'll give them a chance...=)

Creeps said:
ok I gotta ask..

What doesn't bore you to tears? I'm insanely curious :)

and this is a serious question, I'm not being sarcastic, a lot of those "boring" bands you mentioned I really dig... so for conversation, what doesn't bore you?

hmmm, since you asked... as the handle suggests: THERION!!! :worship:

then there's Iced Earth, Nevermore, Blind Guardian, Gamma Ray, Nightwish, Amon Amarth, Bathory, Children of Bodom, Exhibition, Rhapsody (and Luca Turilli), Seven Witches, Tristania, Cryonic Temple, Wizard...
Old School bands like Overkill, Testament, 'Priest, 'Maiden, Accept, U.D.O., Dio, Manowar, Fates Warning (Jon Arch material mostly), Savatage, Metal Church, Reverend, Queensryche...
and former PPUSA guests: Angel Dust, Steel Prophet, Silent Force, Superior, Jag Panzer, Onward, ARK, Symphony X, Threshold... future PPUSA guests Tad Morose, Brainstorm, and Wuthering Heights...

shall I continue? :Smug:

;)

so, you see my friend, the list of bands that bore me to tears is pretty minimal. Unfortunately, most of them fall into the progressive category. So I guess I'm ore of a power metal fan.
:headbang:
Evergrey is a band whose music I think is great. can't wait to see them when Iced Earth and C.o.B. come to Atlanta in May. But the vocals that Tom Englund uses just doesn't fit the music in my own personal, humble opinion. Who knows? Evergrey may grow to become a favorite band. I didn't like Hansi's vocals either when I first heard them. But now, BG is a fave. And I didn't care for Pagan's Mind when I sampled them last year before PPIV, but now I like what I hear - maybe I missed out last year by opting out.

It's all subjective. *shrug* PoS?... I'll give them a fair shake this year. I promise.

~Hoyt.

Rider of Theli said:
hmmm, since you asked... as the handle suggests: THERION!!! :worship:

then there's Iced Earth, Nevermore, Blind Guardian, Gamma Ray, Nightwish, Amon Amarth, Bathory, Children of Bodom, Exhibition, Rhapsody (and Luca Turilli), Seven Witches, Tristania, Cryonic Temple, Wizard...
Old School bands like Overkill, Testament, 'Priest, 'Maiden, Accept, U.D.O., Dio, Manowar, Fates Warning (Jon Arch material mostly), Savatage, Metal Church, Reverend, Queensryche...
and former PPUSA guests: Angel Dust, Steel Prophet, Silent Force, Superior, Jag Panzer, Onward, ARK, Symphony X, Threshold... future PPUSA guests Tad Morose, Brainstorm, and Wuthering Heights...

shall I continue? :Smug:

;)

so, you see my friend, the list of bands that bore me to tears is pretty minimal. Unfortunately, most of them fall into the progressive category. So I guess I'm ore of a power metal fan.
:headbang:
Evergrey is a band whose music I think is great. can't wait to see them when Iced Earth and C.o.B. come to Atlanta in May. But the vocals that Tom Englund uses just doesn't fit the music in my own personal, humble opinion. Who knows? Evergrey may grow to become a favorite band. I didn't like Hansi's vocals either when I first heard them. But now, BG is a fave. And I didn't care for Pagan's Mind when I sampled them last year before PPIV, but now I like what I hear - maybe I missed out last year by opting out.

It's all subjective. *shrug* PoS?... I'll give them a fair shake this year. I promise.

~Hoyt.
I like a lot of those bands as well.. Therion is great. I'm more of a power fan myself, but give bands a fiar shake as well.. sometimes more than once. I think the "overdoit" prog bands are the ones I really don't like. Example; Spiral Architecht, I picked that up to try it out and there was wayy too much going on in that for me. Almost as if each member was doing their own little thing in their own little world.. true they are all very talented, just wasn't my thing music-wise... I like a more "traditional" songwriting approach. The other one are bands who think any song under 9 minutes is a waste of time.

Creeps said:
...I think the "overdoit" prog bands are the ones I really don't like... I like a more "traditional" songwriting approach. The other one are bands who think any song under 9 minutes is a waste of time.

yeah, I can agree with you on the 'overdoit' bands. But I do like an occasional epic, as long as it's well written and produced. Even some of those lengthy Rhapsody narratives get on my nerves. heh heh.

But to be honest, I'm giving more and more bands a fair chance these days. But some, take Kamelot for instance, I just fall asleep listening to their stuff. I tried like hell to listen to Epica, and couldn't get through it one time without changing cd's. And I tried TWICE! *sigh* sorry, Kamelot... but I know there's plenty of other fans out there to support you. I'll just keep dreaming of seeing Therion live someday. :D

~Hoyt.

General,

Actually, I would say that I focused mainly in my opinion, on the three most lackluster bands, and that I aired my dissapointment about the fest being devoid of some others that I was really hoping to see. This topic has been tread on quite a bit, and since a lot of people have opined on it, I wont put too much effort into discussing much more. But, since you inquired,of the bands on the roster, I am really looking foward ONLY to Savatage, Brainstorn, Tad Morose, and Kamelot, even though their last album was about as heavy and interesting as your average Toto album. Cheers to Glenn on those. The bottom line is that I will have to decide whether I will be going or not. Thanks for your time. Oh, and General, I WILL "...Kneel before Zod!"

Walter_Langkowski said:
General,

Actually, I would say that I focused mainly in my opinion, on the three most lackluster bands, and that I aired my dissapointment about the fest being devoid of some others that I was really hoping to see. This topic has been tread on quite a bit, and since a lot of people have opined on it, I wont put too much effort into discussing much more. But, since you inquired,of the bands on the roster, I am really looking foward ONLY to Savatage, Brainstorn, Tad Morose, and Kamelot, even though their last album was about as heavy and interesting as your average Toto album. Cheers to Glenn on those. The bottom line is that I will have to decide whether I will be going or not. Thanks for your time. Oh, and General, I WILL "...Kneel before Zod!"
my question still stands about what your exact problem with Wuthering Heights is, and i would further ask if you've heard their album "Far From the Maddening Crowd". If not, you should. It's top notch and sounds like not much else i've ever heard.

Ryan

Nightmare1z said:
I left POS mainly because I was tired... If I remember right it was Zero Hour, Silent Force, Edguy, Blind Guardian, and then POS.

Edguy was killer...and even Blind Guardian seemed lackluster after Edguy's amazing performance *Was really hard to top in my opinion*. POS I only had Remedy Lane, and after BG and being tired, I just felt like getting rest for Day 2.

This year I'll give them a chance...=)
You have a point there, that was a hell of a first day, I actually had lost my voice after Edguy, after them I was whispering BG and POS lyrics :). I can really see how can someone could be just damn tiered after that.

Nightmare1z said:
Edguy was killer...and even Blind Guardian seemed lackluster after Edguy's amazing performance
Blind Guardian seemed extremely lackluster in general, Edguy notwithstanding. I thought they put on one of the weakest performances at Progpower III, especially Hansi. and I'm a big fan of their studio material.

Ryan

wish Glenn could get RAGE back sometime. People don't realize how long they have been around and how tight they are. i rarely listen to them just because you gotta be in a 'mood' but damn they did kick ass last year

The three bands I'm not too crazy about on this year's line-up are:

Pain Of Salvation
Dreamscape
Brainstorm

Granted, I think they're all good bands but they're just not my cup of tea. On the other hand, Adagio and Wuthering Heights as well as Savatage and Edguy are the main reasons I am going this year. I absolutly love Adagio and Wuthering Heights and I cannot wait to see these bands live for the first time. Afterall, Adagio's Underworld is becoming one of my all-time favorite albums.

There is no sense in me posting a "dream line-up" or anything since it would be all Power Metal and this is ProgPower ... :Spin: