Three Death Metal Albums for the road...

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Driving from NY to CT everyday so I've got the car stereo working overtime. As of late, I've been listening to:

Dark Tranquillity - Character
Bloodbath - Nightmares Made Flesh
Usurper - Cryptobeast

Quick Summary:

DT - good, better than DD, but at the end of the day, there's nothing truly memorable from it other than track #1 - coolest riff and blastbeats

Bloodbath - I liked it at first, but man, this gets monotonous after a while. This supergroup thing just isn't working out. They should all collaborate on Diabolical Masquerade (RIP) instead or something.

Usurper - Heavy Death Metal!! :kickass: Songs like "Return of the Werewolf" and "Warriors of Iron and Rust"....just fun fun fun! Nothing out of this world, nothing new, no hardcore influences for some of you burnouts, but good fun driving death metal!

Metal needs more bands like Usurper. Somewhere along the way, people forgot all about the fun aspect of music, and things got way too self-indulgent. I'm sick of bands crying me a river....spring/summer is on the way, get the music blasting and the heads bangin'!!! :kickass:

Usurper - Heavy Death Metal!! Songs like "Return of the Werewolf" and "Warriors of Iron and Rust"....just fun fun fun! Nothing out of this world, nothing new, no hardcore influences for some of you burnouts, but good fun driving death metal!

you have the balls to say that and then totally dismiss the new Blood Red Throne ... me thinks you need to give that one a real shot !!!

http://www.earache.com/bands/blood_red_throne/smite/brt_dsl.mov

What do you think about Tägtgren's vocals for Bloodbath? That is what sells it for me.

Back to basics death metal is great for driving, you have a great time and get there a lot faster. :kickass:

I like the DT. Reminds me of Haven, which I really like.

Finally, people are realizing what I've said all along. Bloodbath (other than the EP) sucks gorilla schlong. I'm totally down for the Dabolical Masquerade thing, though.

Haven't heard Usurper, but Blood Red Throne, again, revels in overdone mediocrity.

Haven't heard Usurper, but Blood Red Throne, again, revels in overdone mediocrity.

of course it does ... so does Usurper. But that is the fun part about it.

Wait....Usurper are heavy metal fanatics. They don't take themselves too seriously. They leverage the whole cheese factor: bullet belts, spiky arm bands etc. They drink beer, and they write songs with shoutalong choruses like "Kill for Metal". They are like the Slough Feg of beer driven death metal.

It is fun as long as you don't take yourself too seriously.

Blood Red Throne are a serious straight forward DM band and that is a dangerous combination. They cannot think out of the box. With that said, and to be fair, I am judging them purely on Affiliated with the Suffering so I am willing to be proven wrong.

Decaptiated are about my limit when it comes to straight forward DM. At least they have that mechanical techno sound going for them...or at least they did on Nihility.

Blood Red Throne are a serious straight forward DM band and that is a dangerous combination. They cannot think out of the box. With that said, and to be fair, I am judging them purely on Affiliated with the Suffering so I am willing to be proven wrong.

you're kidding right? serious band? ... the singers name is Mr. Hustler :D
the guy is fucking drinking beer as he is singing.
check out that video in my post above.

they actually remind me of a more controlled Decapitated.

Their music comes across as serious. Yeah, I'll check that video - always like to eat humble pie, just means more good music for me to hear.

lurch70 said:
of course it does ... so does Usurper. But that is the fun part about it.

So you'll take "fun" third tier death metal over a band like Nile?

What the hell? Did Karl Sanders bang your girlfriend or something?:dopey: :err: :p

there is nothing more stupid than 4 guys doing the helicopter in unison.

so wait ... for you it's either bar brawl drinking music like Feg ... or the opposite extreme with some heavy musical masturbation band ... and nothing in between?

Hypocrisy kicks the shit out of Bloodbath. Seriously. Surprising that me and NAD are the only serious Hypocrisy fans here. PJ, too.

lurch70 said:
there is nothing more stupid than 4 guys doing the helicopter in unison.

haha, so true. When I saw a video of The Chasm doing that exact thing, I couldn't help but laugh.

J. said:
So you'll take "fun" third tier death metal over a band like Nile?

What the hell? Did Karl Sanders bang your girlfriend or something?:dopey: :err: :p

like I said a million times before ... I like my music honest. I think Nile are full of shit with their Egyptian themes.
Fuck, I'll take Poison over Nile anyday :loco:

I guess i don't see where the band is being dishonest. If they were Egyptian, you probably wouldn't care.

lurch70 said:
so wait ... for you it's either bar brawl drinking music like Feg ... or the opposite extreme with some heavy musical masturbation band ... and nothing in between?

Yeah, kinda...but don't hold me to it. :D

Put it this way, I have so much of all that inbetween stuff that I don't really need much more. When I sold off those 100 CDs a few months ago, they were all "inbetween" bands....

I'm not saying I want it all to progress into different genres, but I do like things with a twist provided they stay within the confines of what is commonly known as 'eavy metal.

J. said:
Hypocrisy kicks the shit out of Bloodbath. Seriously. Surprising that me and NAD are the only serious Hypocrisy fans here. PJ, too.
Seriously. Granted I'm a fanboy and even enjoy their lesser quality stuff, but how anyone into death metal can deny the Sacred Triumverate of Abducted, The Final Chapter, and the self-titled is beyond me.

JayK, I gave you a copy of The Final Chapter didn't I? Get to that one ever?

One Inch Man said:
Back to basics death metal is great for driving, you have a great time and get there a lot faster. :kickass:

So take Ressurection Through Carnage instead and enjoy a GOOD back to basics DM album!

J. said:
I guess i don't see where the band is being dishonest. If they were Egyptian, you probably wouldn't care.

exactly ... :loco:

this is why a band like Mellechesh does not bother me ... or Orpahend Land

it's like me starting a band and basing my career about Belgium ... WTF?

J. said:

There's an element of truth to that to be fair, how couldn't it be? Writing from real experience surely has to be more motivating than writing lyrics from a book that someone else wrote.

For that reason:

Melechesh > Nile

Be quiet all of you who are ready to respond with venom in their words - I like both. :heh:

Also, I like Hypocrisy, but no, I don't own their entire catalog. I do need to get more, yes. They're nothing like straight forward DM though, probably because they're not really DM.

Oh yeah, also...

Hypocrisy > Edge of Sanity

It's true and you all know it.